Raging Ignorance in Self-Defense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
It’s rampant. It’s unavoidable. It’s reprehensible.

There exists today an epidemic, a crisis, a pervasive and powerfully negative phenomenon in self-defense. That phenomenon is raging ignorance, willful stupidity, and the intentional evasion of reality in the flight from cognitive dissonance. This would be bad, but perhaps slightly better than it is, if not for the fact that those most uninformed on self-defense seem to be the ones pontificating most loudly from ignorance.

We see this raging ignorance in both domestic and foreign-dominated websites at which "martial" artists dismiss, deride, or deny the utility of weapons like knives and firearms, substituting their culturally based hoplophobia, wishful thinking, and projection for the reality of weapons in the context of self-preservation. We see it in vulgar, childish Internet boards dominated by adolescents (and those who think like adolescents), where pontification from ignorance has been raised to an art form in which kids with little or no training and absolutely no grounding in reality presume to tell the world how very, very wrong are all those across the Web whose opinions and martial systems differ from those of the hectoring virtual orators. We see it in editorials published in newspapers and periodicals, in which people who know almost nothing about weapons, the martial arts, or self-defense presume to tell the world what the laws and society's mores should and should not be, proudly parading their lack of knowledge in shockingly unsupported and even contradictory statements about the topics in question.

We see it in politics when politicians (such as New York Attorney General and Governor-wannabe Elliot Spitzer's would-be Lieutenant Governor, who has repeatedly introduced legislation that would punish police officers for shooting and killing assailants threatening the officers with lethal force) attempt to pass, or succeed in passing, legislation hostile to self-defense and empowering to society's criminal element. We see it in our courts, when groups of backseat-driving Monday morning quarterbacks (in the forms of juries and judges) apply their collective 20/20 hindsight to judge and condemn the acts of citizens who have done nothing but defend themselves.

We have seen the reality time and time again: If you ever use physical force to defend yourself, especially if you use a weapon to do it, you can and most likely will end up in court to justify your actions, essentially guilty until proven innocent in the eyes of those who've never touched a weapon, never studied a martial art, and know less about self-defense than you've managed to forget in the course of your training.

It is this raging ignorance in self-defense that relegates so much potentially interesting and worthwhile discussion on the topic to the virtual garbage dumps of the Web, where intellectually masturbatory would-be experts opine from anonymity, their often vulgar and frequently animated avatars pulsing epileptically next to their underwhelmingly clever pseudonyms, criticizing anyone and everyone who dares to share earnest and substantive opinions about the martial arts and human survival. It is the most delicious irony of all that those who themselves so frequently hide behind the safety of their CRTs and LCD monitors, who so rarely identify themselves by name or have, to back up their own opinions, credentials anyone would find particularly impressive, are themselves the quickest to attack those standing up for what they believe.

It is these largely anonymous critics who demand to know why and how others presume to offer and to substantiate their opinions -- while the critics have nothing with which to justify and substantiate their own statements. From within the shelter of a mob, it is easy to throw stones -- but not so easy to stand clear and stand up.

The single biggest threat to the continued legality and promotion of success in self-defense in the modern world is this raging ignorance. It contributes to hostile legal climates, to hostile societies, to discouragement among practitioners, and to disinformation among students. Raging ignorance in self-defense is rotting the industry from within, too, with too few voices uttered loudly enough to counter it. Fewer still of those voices come from those who actually contribute to self-defense, providing material and ideas of value to those searching for such information.

No, it is far easier to sit behind one's computer for hour after hour of the day (while speaking of one's demanding training schedule and one's refusal to compromise in one's dedication to one's physical conditioning and one's no-holds-barred attitude), criticizing and condemning and screaming, as the Wright brothers ignore you, that it will never fly and should not be attempted.

There are times when I think this raging ignorance in self-defense is, ultimately, a terminal disease -- one with no cure and no future, no hope and no prospects. It is, therefore, a measure of one's convictions -- one's martialism -- to determine to fight an impossible fight. It is a measure of one's character when one determines that a war worth fighting remains worth fighting when its victory is unlikely. It is a measure of one's psychological and even physical fortitude when one stands for what is true regardless of popularity, regardless of provenance, and regardless of petty punditry.

You can do nothing to fight the raging ignorance in self-defense. You can do nothing, that is, that you are not already doing. If you are part of the solution, you continue to apply an active mind to your training, refusing dogma and dismissing others' agendas as you pursue success in self-defense. You embrace that which you can use and you discard that which you cannot. You apply logic and reason to the data of your senses. You understand your limitations and you seek to work past them to the best of your abilities, while understanding that you must so often work within them. You look around you and you see the rampaging, raging, roiling ignorance in self-defense that seethes and bubbles all around you in an endless sea of foolishness -- and you keep right on paddling your way toward your goals. You are, as the old poem goes, the master of your fate, the captain of your soul. You are among the few who understand the pursuit of self-defense.

You grasp what it means.

You know why it is necessary.

If you are part of the problem rather than the solution, there is nothing you can do. Ignorance insulates you from yourself; you will not see what you do not know and you are not interested in learning. You are raging; you are rampaging; you are pontificating from ignorance. You are the mob, the tidal wave, the rolling fog that obscures all but has no substance to call its own. You are the uninformed and the unenlightened. You are the hopeless and you are destroying others' hope in your flailing, fuming foolishness.

I have heard it said that there are two types of people in the world: There are people who think there are two types of people, and there are people who do not. Among both the former and the latter, there can be only the students and the stupid. The students learn; the stupid complain. The students ask; the stupid demand. The students contribute; the stupid opine.

Be a student.

kickcatcher

Green Belt
Reaction score
I hope I am not the only person who sees the irony in this post.
virtual garbage dumps of the Web, where intellectually masturbatory would-be experts opine from anonymity, their often vulgar and frequently animated avatars pulsing epileptically next to their underwhelmingly clever pseudonyms, criticizing anyone and everyone who dares to share earnest and substantive opinions about the martial arts and human survival.
Interesting comment Phil. Do you have any examples of these people?

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK Phil, I see you have changed tactics now.

Instead of doing an ill conceived, anti-MMA article with no basis on reality and no facts to support your OPINIONS, then trying to defend it from the fair criticism which inevitably comes...you have now decided to create lots of those articles without bothering to defend them, hoping to flood people with your OPINIONS in the hope that people will give up and will agree with you just to avoid reading another of your rants.

Am I correct? Are you really trying to out-write us, instead of out-reasoning us?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Moderator Note.
Please keep the discussion at a mature, respectful level. Please review our conduct in posting policy located at the RULES link on the blue menu bar. Feel free to use the Ignore feature to ignore members whose posts you do not wish to read (it is at the bottom of each member's profile). Thank you.

-G Ketchmark / shesulsa
-MT Senior Moderator-

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phil, I would like to make a suggestion, and I mean this in the most respectful way.

You might wish to reexamine your approach to posting on the forum. I have watched while you have posted lengthy lectures to the forums, and that may be the root of the problem. You have some interesting ideas, and there are times when I find myself in agreement with what you say, but your lectures seem to be alienating many people on the board. I think your approach may be the problem.

Most people on the board engage in conversation. A thread gets started, someone has something to add, another replies, etc. and a great discussion is born. But this is hard to do when we are served up with a lengthy lecture that many people find objectionable and inflammatory and perhaps a bit condescending.

My suggestion is that you abandon the lecture format and just start a conversation, or else add to a conversation and get your thoughts into the discussion that way. It is more subtle, it is generally better received, and you ideas can be attached to concrete examples that are already in discussion. I think the Martialtalk Citizenry might be more willing to consider what you say if you ease up a bit.

Just my thoughts, take it or leave it.

Michael

OP
P

Phil Elmore

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Most of those objecting were "alienated" before they began -- they're people with whom I've had arguments at other forums, for the most part. I'm not concerned with alienating anyone; those that agree, will, and those that won't, won't.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Phil Elmore said:
Most of those objecting were "alienated" before they began -- they're people with whom I've had arguments at other forums, for the most part. I'm not concerned with alienating anyone; those that agree, will, and those that won't, won't.

well, that may be, but I still suggest a different approach might ultimately be more productive and lead to a better discussion. Up to you, just thought I'd throw the idea out there.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think that Phil makes some pretty good points in the rant, verbose as it is. However, what I do not honestly understand is the underlying need for the rant.

See, Phil says it well here:

Phil said:
You look around you and you see the rampaging, raging, roiling ignorance in self-defense that seethes and bubbles all around you in an endless sea of foolishness -- and you keep right on paddling your way toward your goals. You are, as the old poem goes, the master of your fate, the captain of your soul. You are among the few who understand the pursuit of self-defense.
That quote sort of undermines the whole point of ranting about things, does it not?

lonecoyote

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Who are you talking about? Who are these ignorant, um, masturbatory (your words) people remaining anonymous behind computers? Do you mean us, martial talkers? Look, I've always enjoyed your posts, and though occasionally I've disagreed with some things, I've taken other ideas of yours and put them into daily practice as I consider them sound advice. If you've got a thing with these people from other forums maybe you should take it to them.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
did the tone of this post remind anybody else of that old Pogo comic strip?

sort of reminds me of michael moore: a guy with good ideas, but he puts them forth in such a confrontational and aggressive way that it turns everybody off. does more harm than good to the cause he's espousing.

that said, i have to admire anybody who knows what 'hoplophobia' means and can use it in a sentence.

WingChun Lawyer

Green Belt
Reaction score
Flying Crane said:
Most people on the board engage in conversation. A thread gets started, someone has something to add, another replies, etc. and a great discussion is born. But this is hard to do when we are served up with a lengthy lecture that many people find objectionable and inflammatory and perhaps a bit condescending.

My suggestion is that you abandon the lecture format and just start a conversation, or else add to a conversation and get your thoughts into the discussion that way. It is more subtle, it is generally better received, and you ideas can be attached to concrete examples that are already in discussion. I think the Martialtalk Citizenry might be more willing to consider what you say if you ease up a bit.

I entirely agree with that. Debates are productive, rants, by definition, are not.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
lonecoyote said:
Who are you talking about? Who are these ignorant, um, masturbatory (your words) people remaining anonymous behind computers? Do you mean us, martial talkers? Look, I've always enjoyed your posts, and though occasionally I've disagreed with some things, I've taken other ideas of yours and put them into daily practice as I consider them sound advice. If you've got a thing with these people from other forums maybe you should take it to them.
Phil is most likely commenting on members of one or more sites. He's a celebrity of sorts. Even has an icon of him on 1 site and how many of us have entire comic strips dedicated to us? Phil is the Yin to the Yang of these people, 2 sides of the same coin. A self professed non-expert, his talent is in the incredible amounts he can pour (some might say spew or vomit) from his fingertips, in effect, he IS a keyboard warrior. Some of his stuff is brilliant. Some of it pure crap. Sometimes, it's hard to tell if he's serious or sarcastic. He is seen as the "Dirty Harry" type, who while carrying enough firepower to overwhelm a third world nation, will wage warfare against the homeless, the poor, and anyone stupid enough to ask him for a buck. Those that agree with his "Mad Max" survival at all costs mindset, are labeled his "minions" and subject to the same sometimes deserved ridicule.

On the other side of this epic battle, lie a group of wise wizards. Rather flowery folk they be. Worshiping the true guru's of the intellect, they seek to become one with their gods Beavis and Butthead. Spending much of their time bragging about how real their training is in a place that is itself is almost as real as an MTV reality show, they tend to look down at anyone who does things differently than themselves. I dare not speak it's name, lest I summon the deamons Stupidity, Cluelessness, and Immaturity from it's slumber in the pit of mud and other smelly brown substances that shant be named! The term "masturbatory" seems fitting, as I doubt it is in fact sweat that stains their well worn copies of "GracieWorld" magazine. In their pantheon of martial gods, Phil acts as a sort of Satan, so they must rally against him, lest they not be allowed in the next group cuddle.

The pseudo intellectual vs the pseudo warrior. The true warriors of truth have long rallied against Lord Phil, but he is safe in his castle, the mighty Fortress Martialist, where neither street bum nor trollop can be seen, and one must register your AOL tin as a lethal weapon. Deep in the pit of mud, the dark powers stir and curse him and call him names like booger head and fatman, and make song about him. Phil cast down his wrath against these unbelievers, like Zeus and his Thunderbolts, Phil sends down lightning bolts of witty and cutting prose. The pit denizens writh in, pain?

And us dear friends, are caught in the middle. A battle of blowhards, know it alls, and know nothings. A war between a guy who never earned a blackbelt but founded his own art, and guys who feel the need to prove their stuff works often in the stupidest of ways. They can't get into Fortress Martialist, and Phil refuses to walk in the land of the poopoo. So, the battle splatters on us.

A ripe bunch of thickies I'd say. Now if you'll ecxuse me, I need to take a shower. I think I got pit denizen sweat on me. It's either that or expert spittle.

Status
Not open for further replies.