Racist martial arts instructor?

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are a lot of different types of racism, all bad in my view, but they don't all carry the same degree of maliciousness.

I've never heard this before and I would bet virtually anything that it is not true and I have a guess as to where it may have come from. But, for decades there has been this story and this belief among certain people that people with African heritage have an extra muscle in their lower body somewhere and that's makes them statistically more successful in sports than Caucasians. This has been repeatedly debunked by medical experts, who do freaking autopsies on corpses, but it lives on. Why? Something called "whitesplaining". "We're better at running things, they are better at sports. It's biological, not racist." They same statistics that support racial bias in the system also support this biological claim and explain away the racial bias...except that it is a medical claim, not a matter of opinion and it is not true.

If I had to guess, this medical explanation was created in an attempt to 'splain why disproportionate percentage of African Americans die in police encounters from choke holds as something medical rather than social.

I'm tip toeing are politicial issues here and I really don't want or mean to start any. I have close ties and respect for the LEO community and I'm not trying to start that either, though I do fear the response.

But, I don't believe this "Science". If someone can produce a credible link to it, I'll be happy to read it and discuss with friends who are MDs, but so far it doesn't seem like anyone wants to defend that claim either. I'm offering an unsupported theory on where it may have come from. We'd have to ask that particular instructor to know for sure.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also useful to remember that being racist doesn't mean someone is an evil person. Racism is bad and has pernicious effects. However, it's a problem rooted in society as a whole more than a purely individual flaw. If someone grows up in a racist culture it's hard to avoid absorbing at least a little bit of racism into their viewpoint. Even members of a minority group being discriminated against can unconsciously absorb some of the prejudices against their own group.

There has been recent research that showed a negative bias against blacks (that they are more likely to commit crimes, based on their skin) is fairly common even among blacks who state a strong bias toward blacks. It likely has to do with how we develop internal concepts, and the fact that we are all subjected to the same impressions (bits of data our subconscious uses to develop those concepts). This article discusses some of that research. Most of us are a little racist. Being aware of that tendency is how we cultivate a more objective reaction.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a theory that goes around gyms about aborigionals and having hard heads. People do base their game on that.

I assume these ideas do just spring up via basic anecdotal evidence rather than any hidden motive.

I don't se it as any different to the ridiculous knee kick ideas that go around.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a theory that goes around gyms about aborigionals and having hard heads. People do base their game on that.

I assume these ideas do just spring up via basic anecdotal evidence rather than any hidden motive.

I don't se it as any different to the ridiculous knee kick ideas that go around.
Not really even anecdotal evidence, in most cases. Just unsupported conjecture and guesses.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not really even anecdotal evidence, in most cases. Just unsupported conjecture and guesses.

I am sure somone did something to someone once. Which is generally enough to proove a method.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as racial weakness goes, white people win. Just as European languages are pretty much all related, so are the people, which opens the floodgate of syndromes, and maladies. Any isolated population starts to degenerate, but the real problem is there weren't that many original settlers on the European continent.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as racial weakness goes, white people win. Just as European languages are pretty much all related, so are the people, which opens the floodgate of syndromes, and maladies. Any isolated population starts to degenerate, but the real problem is there weren't that many original settlers on the European continent.
"Racial Weakness?" Seems like we have a blatant racist on our hands here! And it's the second time you've posted nonsense like this too!

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"Racial Weakness?" Seems like we have a blatant racist on our hands here! And it's the second time you've posted nonsense like this too!
Did you know that where I live has the highest MS rate it the entire country? It's not the water; it's all the white people. o_O

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's a little hard to say if that is racist, or just ignorant.

Did the underlying message suggest that African -Americans are somehow inferior? Then he is racist.

Did the underlying message suggest that they have a different anatomy from other ethnic groups? Then he is just ignorant (and possibly stupid) and needs an education.

Likely the second, I would suspect he used certain data and made the classic error of mistaking correlation for causation.

Example: first let me preface by saying that the below is just about raw data, not why the numbers say what they say.

I would suspect that, as with many uses of force in LE, you would have a large pool of data showing the injurious, perhaps fatal use of choke holds on African American Males by police. The thing is that data will not show whether or not drug or alcohol use was also a contributing factor. It will also not note whether heart disease, or other preexisting medical conditions, were contributing factors (a New England Journal of Medicine study showed African Americans suffer heart failure before age 50 at 20 times the rate of White Americans).

So if you just look at the numbers I wouldn't be surprised if there were higher rates of death/serious injury BUT that is simply a correlation, not causation.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did you know that where I live has the highest MS rate it the entire country? It's not the water; it's all the white people. o_O
And

African Americans suffer from diabetes, strokes and heart disease more that Caucasians

Asian Americans are the only segment of the US Population to have cancer as the leading cause of death and are far more susceptible to stomach and liver cancers especially.

Native Americans have the highest rate of diabetes of any group and are 5 times more likely to suffer from TB.

Due to evolution (different foods, weather conditions, exposure to disease etc) every ethnicity is more susceptible to something than others.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And

African Americans suffer from diabetes, strokes and heart disease more that Caucasians

Asian Americans are the only segment of the US Population to have cancer as the leading cause of death and are far more susceptible to stomach and liver cancers especially.

Native Americans have the highest rate of diabetes of any group and are 5 times more likely to suffer from TB.

Due to evolution (different foods, weather conditions, exposure to disease etc) every ethnicity is more susceptible to something than others.
Sure, but MS is due to inbreeding, way back when. The scientific term is Bottlenecking.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Before reading this, my claim is the entire white race in Europe has bottle necked, more than once; so, it wont help your cause.

Your claim was that MS was the result of a bottleneck, which is different than your current claim Additionally virtually every ethnicity sub-group has met such a bottleneck at some point. As an example the Native American population is believed by many to be descended from a population of only 70 that came across the land bridge. As for other possible bottlenecks there is a GREAT deal of controversy as to what other bottlenecks may have occurred because there is a great deal of dispute as to what = minimum viable population size and even it's relevance.

That said here is a paper specifically related to bottlenecking in the African population Evidence That Two Main Bottleneck Events Shaped Modern Human Genetic Diversity – Proc R Soc B FirstCite

This isn't the same course that there is not more General genetic diversity among African populations and other groups. What it does say however is that if you look at all the literature every population has suffered bottlenecks the only difference is that Asian European and Native American populations simply suffered from or bottleneck in the African population. However in looking at all ethnic groups, they all have greater susceptibility to various diseases than another hence why the article I linked is important. In short to say one race is genetically weak vs another is not supported by science and borders on the psuedoscience of eugenics which at it's heart was and is racially motivated.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I believe the reason/cause of deaths from rear naked chokes applied by LEOs is that they do not know how to properly apply a rear naked choke.

Latest Discussions