Racist Cop or Combative Professor?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Slow intersection huh. More time for more people on a busier street to hear and see the police car and siren and wonder over. So maybe this commotion and crowd gathering was in large part there for the officer's presence. I know when there's a siren in NY people gather, not a good habit but people do.

There is always a crowd in Harvard Square, period. Its the busiest part of Cambridge. The officer stated he was in his cruiser on Harvard near Ware, its likely that he did not put his siren on.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter why the crowd gathered. What I'm interested in is what they saw or heard after they had gathered. The police officer says that Gates was shouting and behaving "tumultuously". Gates says that he didn't lose his cool but simply asked the officer for his name and number. Should be easy to tell whose story is accurate. Not that anyone will check now.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
But was the crowd caused by Gates or by the police cruiser presumably speeding through a residential area to a "crime scene" sirens blaring? I think people would have showed up wither way.

Where I'm from cops don't generally respond to a B&E with sirens blaring. Is it different up north?

Just saw Obama commenting on it some more...said he thought it was silly to handcuff a middle aged man. How you LEO's feel about that? LOL

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
The president is ignorant of police procedures (dare I say STUPID?). If you are arrested you get handcuffed....period.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Why show knowledge of police procedure when you get a free shot at busting on the cops? :rolleyes:

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
The president is ignorant of police procedures (dare I say STUPID?). If you are arrested you get handcuffed....period.

What else is he ignorant of I wonder. :uhohh:

He should just fess up that his words were the result of a kneejerk reaction to hearing the story, but he probably won't. I don't think he's ever admitted to being wrong about anything has he?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
As soon as the Professor showed his ID which had the address of the house he was in the incident should have ended. The officer should have handed the ID back and said "have a nice evening sir" and left.

And as I, and a few others have said, in cases like this, its natural to check the area. Had there been someone inside and something happened to the homeowner, you can rest assure that he'd file some complaint that the cops didn't check the house.

As always, they're damned if they do, damned if they don't. This guy was being a jerk, period, and couldve avoided half his issues, if he'd shut the hell up and act like an adult instead of a kid.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Im wondering how long its gonna be before the president whips out a "why did the cop shoot to kill...why didn't he shoot him in the leg?" He seems to be going right down that road.

Disappointing.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear all the arguments, I still say once his identity was established the cop should have said "Have a nice day" and left. The Prof did get agitated and loud, but he had already proven ID, what was the cop still doing there? I would be pissed if after proving that I was not breaking into my own house to the cop he was not still sniffing around.

And as I said, if there was someone in the house, you can bet the innocent Prof would have been pissed. So...again, damned if they do, damned if they don't.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear what you are saying man,

Are you really???

but identity was established so the cop should have left. Combative, before, after, during, he didn't hit anybody, he was pissed and got loud at his own place.

This differs from what the post above yours just stated. Fact is, this guy was being a jerk, and interferring with an investigation. Was it necessary for him to act like that? No, but its the typical pattern from some people who just cant seem to be capable of talking normally. The cops have a job to do...why can't people let them do it?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
But was the crowd caused by Gates or by the police cruiser presumably speeding through a residential area to a "crime scene" sirens blaring? I think people would have showed up wither way.

And your use of the "crime scene" remark tells me that you're reading one side and one side only. Until they get there, how else do you expect them to treat the scene?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Where I'm from cops don't generally respond to a B&E with sirens blaring.

Really? Man, where I work, you'd have a few cars screaming to the call. Of course, once they get in the area, they shut things down, but to get there initially....look out. LOL.

Omar B

Senior Master
Reaction score
This differs from what the post above yours just stated. Fact is, this guy was being a jerk, and interferring with an investigation. Was it necessary for him to act like that? No, but its the typical pattern from some people who just cant seem to be capable of talking normally. The cops have a job to do...why can't people let them do it?

Yeah, he did his job, the person seen breaking in was the home owner.

And your use of the "crime scene" remark tells me that you're reading one side and one side only. Until they get there, how else do you expect them to treat the scene?

Yes, I used quotes because there was no crime though the cop may have thought so at first. Once he got there and established ID he should have left. No I'm not reading one side, but I still see a man arrested in his own home for a disturbance more likely caused by blaring siren in a heavily peopled area.

OP
Archangel M

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
This professors behavior wasnt "caused" by anything. He chose to act like an ***.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

You can be handcuffed for the security of the officer and not be arrested.

I know I was, I was guilty of being 6'3" and 250 lbs where the female officer was small and slight of build. She responded to the domestic I called where the Ex-wife and her boyfriend showed up and I had called 9-1-1 . the offcier did not know who called so she hand cuffed me being the largest.

It happens. Was I embarrassed with the neighbors watching? Yes.

After they had all left, I staid outside on the porch and one neighbor came over and asked. I explained. The other talked to me the next day.

Was I mad? Yes.

Did I blame the officer once it was explained to me it was for her safety? No. But until I understood that she was concerned for her safety as I was calm and had the phone in my hand. I would have gotten in the back of her cruiser if she had asked. But instead she went strait to maximum security. Safety. Ok.