Rabbit Hole

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Simon, you and I are of one mind. It makes perfect sense and has me thinking and considering another possibility. What if this "rabbit hole" contained within certain styles is actually not within the styles but within the practitioners themselves? In fact, I believe that is what you and several other members have already said lol. I'm reminded of a martial arts movie from the eighties called "The Last Dragon." While the movie itself was a little cheesy (but still good lol), it had a line I will never forget and have used multiple times with my clients from when I was a personal trainer. "There is only one place you have not looked for the answer, and it is there." The hero's master was pushing his student to look within.

You folks have a been a tremendous help with this. Thank you all very much! I truly appreciate it. I still welcome any additional thoughts on this topic. It's not as though I've solved it lol.

Well, hope you stick around and join in with other discussions.

OP
C

Clinton Shaffer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you are active and that is a big plus. I still suggest you take the time to audit the options that are local to you. A reputable school will give you a trial period or at least a few classes no charge. Talk to as many students as you can, of all ranks. Talking to just black belts for example can skew the data.
I would think a true Shotokan school would have a decent amount of history and more traditional. I do not know enough about aikijutsu to have an opinion.
Let us know how it goes.

DV, I do try to remain very active. I train in powerlifting, some rudimentary (very lol) Olympic rings work, and a little bit of boxing drills on the heavy bag.

And I believe you are right. I'll just simply have to give that which is available to me a try. Thanks!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another example of the rabbit hole.

You have good guys and then you have great guys. It is a very humbling experience.

Latest Discussions