Quick question...

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine who does CMA was asking me to post here (not the most computer, let alone internet, literate individual).

He wanted to know

1. whether this could be used for cutting
2. whether these prices are fair and relative to the quality
3. whether this brand has a good reputation or not

Thanks!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether what could be used for cutting? You seem to have omitted an important detail.

I'm guessing you're asking about a knife or sword; if you check through the Sword Arts forum, there's a fair amount of information about recognizing quality weapons, and what they should count. You might start with THIS thread.

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Oh goodness, I forgot to post the link!

(will add to original post via edit).

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The edit function only stays active for about an hour or so but please add a new post with the link. We'd be happy to help once we know what we're looking for :D

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am not an expert on Chinese blades, but if it were me, I would pass.

2.203 Kg is nearly 4.5 pounds. That's a lot of weight. The seller doesn't make it clear whether that includes the scabbard or not, but even if it does that still stands to be a heavier sword than expected. I would also have concerns about how well balanced the sword is given the weight.

As a secondary concern, I'd also be leery of buying from a China-based vendor.

I'll defer to the good folks here that have more of a sword background for a more definitive answer...but that's my thoughts based on my own limited knowledge. :asian:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
First it is sharpened wrong for a Jain. It is sharpened similar to a Dao but not exactly the same as a Dao either.

I would not buy it without being able to check the balance of it and I would not buy a sword form China off of ebay. Buy direct form the site if that is what you are going to do no matter what

Chances are if you are in China and if these swords are in fact made in china they likely cost about 1/6th the price in US dollars there.

1. whether this could be used for cutting

Probably, but how much expereince does y9our friend have with CMA sword and what style are we talking about. A 4 pound sharp jain can do some pretty serious damage if you are not careful and the ER visit may not be worth the price of the sharp sword

2. whether these prices are fair and relative to the quality

There are other companies out of China I would rather deal with, but I can't remember the names at the moment, I always have to ask my sifu. As to Price, some of the prices are rather high but for hand fordged I guess not bad but why is it important to get a blade of this level?

3. whether this brand has a good reputation or not

Don't know the brand but here is thier website

OP
N

neoinarien

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
He does Tai Chi right now but is just beginning to do some groundwork for expanding his interests within CMA. He is considering cutting, but doesn't know if he wants to yet. Beyond that (he's not here right now and in fact lives in another state) I'd have to ask him.

It seems to me that there isn't much out there for Jian cutting and that someone who wants to cut is better off going into Japanese rather than Chinese.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
He does Tai Chi right now but is just beginning to do some groundwork for expanding his interests within CMA. He is considering cutting, but doesn't know if he wants to yet. Beyond that (he's not here right now and in fact lives in another state) I'd have to ask him.

It seems to me that there isn't much out there for Jian cutting and that someone who wants to cut is better off going into Japanese rather than Chinese.

It sounds like he might want to look to Scott M. Rodell and the Great River Taoist Center - Michuan Taijichuan. Scott Rodell works with cutting. He ha a web page and has much greater knowledge on the subject of cutting and finding a good jain than I

Scott Rodell Cutting Videos