Quick and Fast

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What is te difference between being quick and being fast. To many people their is no difference, to some of the more learned there is a difference.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
quickness contains both mental and physical component, which allows you to act or react appropriately to a given situation before its too late...

being fast is the ability to complete a predefined sequence is the least amount of time, much like the fastest runner wins the race.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
What is te difference between being quick and being fast. To many people their is no difference, to some of the more learned there is a difference.
Is this a test to find out who the "more learned" are and who's ignorant? :D

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There is a distinct difference between quick and fast. It is just that most people tend to overlap the 2 terms and sometimes use the incorrect one.

Im not sure if their is a difference between the two. I believe they are synanyms.

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
pete said:
quickness contains both mental and physical component, which allows you to act or react appropriately to a given situation before its too late...

being fast is the ability to complete a predefined sequence is the least amount of time, much like the fastest runner wins the race.

I think you hit the nail on the head with this one pete, so as i understand it quickness is the immediate reaction and being fast is the actual performance of technique in sequence. Can you have one without the other? I think you need to have quickness as in spontaneous reaction or you will never get to the "fast" part - the actual performance of the tech. Something to think about.

Donna :)

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
Can you have one without the other?
yes..

Kenpo Mama said:
I think you need to have quickness as in spontaneous reaction or you will never get to the "fast" part - the actual performance of the tech.
i feel no need to get to the fast part... that would just be "hollywood flash"
quickness has a mental and physical component, so doing nothing at the right time can be considered a quick reaction.

Rob Broad said:
Quickness is you inate ability. You learn how to be fast.
you can train to improve your quickness, just as you can train to improve your speed... both can be learned, but each would require a different process and different goals.

pete

O

OC Kid

There is a difference.
In the kempo system that I trained in they talked about 2 different types of speed.
Initial speed what I can describe as the reaction time to get the technique off and on its way to its target.
RPM speed, The speed the weapon goes to its target

I guess one could add a deliverey speed, The speed the weapon is going when it hits its target.

Latest Discussions