Quick advice much appreciated

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
A thought struck me. Since I want BJJ combined with some striking art, why not just go for MMA? Wont I get the whole package in one? ;)

Edit: I live in Riga, Latvia.
Yes, but depending on the place the BJJ may be a lower quality, and there are a lot of 'MMA' gyms that are not high quality in either striking or grappling. It's not always true, but I would definitely choose a place that focuses on BJJ and may have a striking class, then a place that teaches 'MMA'.

the42cop

White Belt
Reaction score
I would absolutely look into a local Brazilian jiu-jitsu gym. Most have MMA and kickboxing classes as well, though not all. You're better off focusing on basic ground work and adding some kickboxing. Once you start feeling a little comfortable with the basics you can look at starting to blend them both. Though it can be a bit overwhelming at first worrying about being kicked in the head AND trying to defend a takedown lol. A lot of places offer up to a week of free classes, so shop around first. Just remember when you first start BJJ... being fit or strong or even naturally tough means NOTHING when you're grappling with people who are TRAINED. You will get absolutely slaughtered every single day... And that's totally okay as long as you stow the ego and try to just keep showing up every day and keep improving. You're competing with YOU only. It is a great stress relief and the best workout I have ever found. I'm convinced you can take an Olympic athlete in just about any regular non grappling sport and after 5 minutes of sparring they will be ready to throw up. Have fun and good luck!

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A thought struck me. Since I want BJJ combined with some striking art, why not just go for MMA? Wont I get the whole package in one? ;)

Edit: I live in Riga, Latvia.

There are a lot of quality standing ground arts.
Sanda.
Sambo.
Kudo.
Shootboxing.
And so on.