Questions and then some

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
3 questions please. (All three opinion based; no right or wrong answers)

1. Names. Do you call your instructor by his/her name or title (if your response is "title" do you refer to your instructor by title only in the dojo or outside of the dojo as well?)

2. What color MA uniform do you wear and why?

3. Grabs in sporting events. Do you allow grabs in MA sport events? Why or why not?

I've been fortunate to have had many instructors. Some of whom are still alive. I call them whatever they wish, whatever is proper Martial protocol. Some I call by their first name, some by title. But that sometimes changes depending on where we are. If I'm with someone I consider my instructor and call him by first name (at his insistence), but we are somewhere else where protocol dictates otherwise, I go with the protocol. If we are completely outside of a Martial Art environment I'll call him whatever I think I can get away with. :)

I wear a black gi. Have worn many colors over the years, but black is both my formal gi and my favorite gi.

Grabs - up to whoever sets the rules. I love grabs.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
3 questions please. (All three opinion based; no right or wrong answers)

1. Names. Do you call your instructor by his/her name or title (if your response is "title" do you refer to your instructor by title only in the dojo or outside of the dojo as well?)

3. Grabs in sporting events. Do you allow grabs in MA sport events? Why or why not?

1. by his first name in or out of class. Also Sifu, but only in class
2. Whatever I decide to wear, Traditional CMA, no uniforms
3. Don't do sports events, but walked away form an inter-school sparing class because they would not allow it. At that time, like now, I use qinna and I was not trained to spar like they wanted me to

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
How does daoism influence martial arts? Its philosophy and for some its a religion. Personally I dont really know anything significantly important about it and im uncertain how these two pieces fit together.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
How does daoism influence martial arts? Its philosophy and for some its a religion. Personally I dont really know anything significantly important about it and im uncertain how these two pieces fit together.
Wouldn't the answer to this depend entirely on the origin of each martial art?

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

In some CMA, mostly internal arts and mostly in philosophy not religion. In Taijiquan it allegedly influence the making and use of the postures, In Bagua, that is where circle walking allegedly comes from, in Xingyi, like the other IMA styles, in the use of Qi and/or internal energy. I arts outside of China, the influence would be through the indigenous religions that were influenced by Taoism; example, in Japan there is some belief that Shinto was influenced by Taoism and Buddhism and there for any Japanese marital art that was influenced by Shinto would be "very" indirectly influenced by Taoism

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got 2 questions about that bouncing stuff you see some martial artists.
1. Why do people do it?
2. I could imagine it makes having a strong sturdy stance difficult. Does it?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Really hard to say why anyone does anything in MA. But, I think the answer to your first question is because whatever the venue they train and/or compete in, they've found they can get away with it and they seem to enjoy doing it. (I always thought there should be somebody on the sidelines with audio equipment tuned to the sound effect of Sproing Sproing Sproing.)

I wish everyone would bounce. Fighting would be so much easier.

I don't know about the second question, never bounced much.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Do you call your instructor by his/her name or title (if your response is "title" do you refer to your instructor by title only in the dojo or outside of the dojo as well?)
All of us, Anglo or HK, in English or Cantonese, address him as "Sifu." In English, we refer to him as "Master Chau." I haven't paid attention to how the other guys refer to him in Cantonese: probably "Chau Sifu." Outside class, same thing. Master Chau is 83 and studied/taught at Jingwu, so he's old school.

Street clothes all the way.

We do mostly Yiquan, which usually doesn't have sporting events. Sometimes we do Xingyiquan.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Tai chi and taijiquan; are they the same style or two different styles?
As XS wrote: different spelling of the same thing.

In tai chi forms or at least the ones I do often use holding a ball (as seen in picture bellow) my question, why?
tai%20chi%20hold%20the%20ball%20pose%20FINAL.jpg
It's an in-between posture, after one kind of action and before another. It helps you keep track of where your arms are, making it easier to engage full-body strength, IMO. It's knd of like regrouping.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
1. Why do people do it?

You mean like in Olympic TKD competitions? It's to stay light on your feet. The WTF rules don't allow grappling at all, so competitors are less worried about having a strong sturdy stance than about being ready to rush in and kick as fast as possible at any second when they see an opening.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In class generally a lower belt would be preffered not to correct a higher rank.
I know its showing respect and I personally never had trouble in this area (I have noticed some people make this mistake before but very rare though). My question exactly how does it show respect?
We don't want to make the higher ranked artist lose face. Very bad in East Asian cultures.

Also what are your thoughts on the subject?(I ask this question because I like to see other peoples perspectives)
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. But really, it depends on the etiquette of the specific class/dojo. If the teachers are good, I'm fine with it. But in general, I won't correct an upper student's own form (hey, I'm not the master), but if I see that upper student teaching the wrong form, I've been known to ask the teacher, within earshot of the upper student, what the correct form is for myself ... but I'll leave it at that; I won't say "so why is he teaching it wrong?"

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
1. Why do people do it?

It's a sport thing. That's why you see it in Olympic TKD sparring, or boxing. You won't see it (at least, not nearly as much) in non-sport sparring, especially if grappling and sweeps are being used.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Science... and martial arts. Do these two things belong?

And whats the thing with religion and martial arts like Christianity, catholicism, Judaism... ect. How do religion and martial arts go together?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think science and Martial Arts go together just fine.
As for the religion part of it - I'm not really religious, but back in the day we had an open door policy for fighting. One of the schools that frequently came down was a Christian Karate school taught by Joe Dugay. I don't remember what style they were, but they could flat out fight.

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I got 1 question today, whats a triple warmer (the only one I know of is triple warmer 17; slightly below the ear I think)
But im not quite sure what they are.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Science... and martial arts. Do these two things belong?

No… because things like biology, anatomy, physics, biomechanics, geometry, even "soft sciences" like psychology have no place in martial arts… it's all just guesswork and hope…

A little more seriously, why on earth wouldn't they? Many Western and Asian systems have referred to themselves as "martial sciences" (or similar) for centuries…

And whats the thing with religion and martial arts like Christianity, catholicism, Judaism... ect. How do religion and martial arts go together?

What do you mean by "the thing" with (Western) religions and martial arts?

OP
donald1

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
No… because things like biology, anatomy, physics, biomechanics, geometry, even "soft sciences" like psychology have no place in martial arts… it's all just guesswork and hope…

A little more seriously, why on earth wouldn't they? Many Western and Asian systems have referred to themselves as "martial sciences" (or similar) for centuries…

What do you mean by "the thing" with (Western) religions and martial arts?
Perhaps thats not the best way to phrase that last question. A better way of phrasing this; martial arts and religion, why do they combine these two?

Latest Discussions