Question..?

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen a similar question posted elsewhere on the site, although I forget where exactly. I'm thinking of starting ju-jitsu to complement my Wing Chun. I'm no beginner to either, but I'm also no expert. I don't think I'd have a problem incorporating them together, but I think I'd be able to use them when one may not work in one situation, another may. Does anyone forsee any problems/issues with this?

All helpful thoughts welcome.

Cheers,

K

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Does anyone forsee any problems/issues with this?

Only with those whose opinions differ from yours. Cross training is good to understand the how and why others do what they do. Learn from everyone.

Danny T

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Danny T said:
Only with those whose opinions differ from yours. Cross training is good to understand the how and why others do what they do. Learn from everyone.

Danny T

Good point. I'm hoping it will be an enlightening experience. One thing I've noticed is that you can be a great WC fighter against someone who knows WC, but will you be that same fighter against a judoka, or BJJ guy, and conversely, the same applies to them. You may be able to pull off brilliant throw against your regular training partner in that art, but can you pull it off against someone trying to throw a whole bag of punches at you.

I was only wondering, as I think some people had made the point that it may cause confusion when learning one style to the next, although, that said, I'm not sure you can get much different between WC and jitsu? Fair to say or no?

Just a thought. Thanks for the post Danny.

Cheers,

K

ed-swckf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Kensai said:
Good point. I'm hoping it will be an enlightening experience. One thing I've noticed is that you can be a great WC fighter against someone who knows WC, but will you be that same fighter against a judoka, or BJJ guy, and conversely, the same applies to them. You may be able to pull off brilliant throw against your regular training partner in that art, but can you pull it off against someone trying to throw a whole bag of punches at you.

I was only wondering, as I think some people had made the point that it may cause confusion when learning one style to the next, although, that said, I'm not sure you can get much different between WC and jitsu? Fair to say or no?

Just a thought. Thanks for the post Danny.

Cheers,

K

You can apply wing chun principles when looking at other arts like ju-jitsu, to this end i generally suggest having a good understanding of wing chun principles, in other words learn the rules to break the rules. When i get together with friends of mine from different martial art backgrounds i look at what they are doing and explore it in a wing chun manner, that might be something for you to keep in mind. Its easy enough to do because of wing chun being a priciple and concept art.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do BJJ and WC. No issues. If someone tackles you, you switch from punching to grappling. If you can make your WC work on your back, great; there are some techniques that still apply. But for me the transition is easy.

OP
Kensai

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I do BJJ and WC. No issues. If someone tackles you, you switch from punching to grappling. If you can make your WC work on your back, great; there are some techniques that still apply. But for me the transition is easy.

Cool. S'what I was thinking along too. Just gotta stop talking, and get doing.

ed-swckf, I agree with your point. I look forward to learning some jitsu again, and seeing how I can apply my Wing Chun to that environment. One of my best mates, uses his WC in his jitsu sparring, and enjoys getting the "what the f**k is that", when he goes into his stance. He's caught a few off guard with it in fact. Pak sau, bong and then strike is something that's not trained for in his dojo.

Latest Discussions