Question regarding ATA Belt Testing

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You inadvertently answered a question a didn't ask because this is a taekwando post. But my concern with BJJ as there Gracie Kids program that will take kids as early as 3 was submissions. I didn't think my kid would realize that he needed to tap and get hurt.
I would be wary of a BJJ program that had kids practicing submissions on each other while free training when they are under the age of 7. The kids practice doing arm bars on us all the time but know that they are not allowed to use them against each other until they get to the older class. Is better for them because they learn how to move and transition first. I know many members of The Gracie family and this is how they been doing it for years.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You inadvertently answered a question a didn't ask because this is a taekwando post. But my concern with BJJ as there Gracie Kids program that will take kids as early as 3 was submissions. I didn't think my kid would realize that he needed to tap and get hurt.

Not many schools are going to teach submissions to kids. Our 5-7 class starts some very basic ones a year in... but they don't complete the submission ever. Just get the position and the match ends.

As for the ATA school, sounds like a rotating curriculum. If done well it is a great approach to managing a class of mixed ranks. Which is something pretty much every school is going to have. With usually 10+ belt ranks and a few different age group having multiple ranks rotate through the same material all together and then move up to the next group after hitting each cycle This sort of setup is becoming pretty standard in schools that hit a decent size.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Not many schools are going to teach submissions to kids. Our 5-7 class starts some very basic ones a year in... but they don't complete the submission ever. Just get the position and the match ends.

As for the ATA school, sounds like a rotating curriculum. If done well it is a great approach to managing a class of mixed ranks. Which is something pretty much every school is going to have. With usually 10+ belt ranks and a few different age group having multiple ranks rotate through the same material all together and then move up to the next group after hitting each cycle This sort of setup is becoming pretty standard in schools that hit a decent size.
Well rotate curriculum at GB every 16 weeks. it varies from kids/adult/advanced but is in same position. instructors prefer different positions so variations are allowed. more detail in advanced while beginners are going over the basic position itself and defense/posture . I do not consider it block training as there is no set order of instruction when it comes to bjj except that leg/twisting foot locks are usually not taught before brown.
Getting back to the Taekwondo block training: I see the reason but is better to hire additional instructors and increase the amount of classes.

OP
A

ATAStudent83

White Belt
Reaction score
As an adult, I would pick BJJ if it wasn't for the logistics of getting my son there. I work a half a mile from the local Gracie academy but I would have to drive 25 miles to pick up my son and come back. The one thing that was weird for me was the ATA TKD Black belt program as they call it was age 7 and up and the class was filled with 7 year old. It weird as a 33 year old to train with kids. From a consumer standpoint I would prefer and Adult only option unless it was a family class. When I did BJJ most beginners in my class was adults as they had a separate class for kids

OP
A

ATAStudent83

White Belt
Reaction score
I tried The WTF affiliated school today and it was like night and day. The Master is 4th Dan thru the Kukkiwon . Was very clear with everything and was really good with young kids. It takes a minimum of 3 years to get a school black belt and a minimum of a year after that to test 1st Dan thru the Kukkiwon. Belt tests are every 12 weeks and there is a multitude of stuff you must know before taking the test. Overall I feel it was a better put togther program and you had to earn your belts. The master also taught according to belt and didn't believe in the block teaching method.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
71632601_69bf95ab1c.jpg
cannot_be_unseen_zpstjr67rte.jpg

Latest Discussions