question on training.

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
hope everyone is having a good morning! okay, so i am currently a white belt in taekwondo and i live on campus. the issue is that i really dont have the resources of training on campus. i can do my strikes and my forms etc. but im not really practicing my kicks since no one on campus is also training. there is a dojang near my college campus, do you think they would let me train there and practice in their dojang without me paying for anything? i really dont wanna change schools because im already used to how things work in my dojang back home. usually, i go home every two weeks and i go both friday and saturday. so i get some kind of training, i just want a little more.

thank you in advance.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
hope everyone is having a good morning! okay, so i am currently a white belt in taekwondo and i live on campus. the issue is that i really dont have the resources of training on campus. i can do my strikes and my forms etc. but im not really practicing my kicks since no one on campus is also training. there is a dojang near my college campus, do you think they would let me train there and practice in their dojang without me paying for anything? i really dont wanna change schools because im already used to how things work in my dojang back home. usually, i go home every two weeks and i go both friday and saturday. so i get some kind of training, i just want a little more.

thank you in advance.
It's unlikely that a dojang near your school will let you train -- especially for free.

Your college almost certainly has one -- or more -- gyms. You can probably find space there to practice. Bags aren't essential... I also wouldn't be at all surprised that if you look around, there's some sort of martial arts club on campus.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wow, you do have a dilemma. You can ask the local school if you can if you can train for fee, but don't count on it..You don't want to switch because your comfortable at your original school, and thats good. However that being said. if you want to get more training time in then switching schools is something you might have to consider..

Last edited:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I do the majority of my practice at home. At white belt, all of your kicks are going to be fairl y basic kicks; spinning jumping back hook kicks are a ways down the road for you. Given this, you should have room to practice your kicks.

While it is nice to have a partner to practice with, make due with what you have. Touch base with your instructor regarding questions of techniqe and practice your kicks as correctly as possible.

There is most likely a gymnasium available to you. See if there is a heavy bag available for you to kick, take advantage of it. Also, see if there is a karate club. It isn't taekwondo, but it would at least offer you an environment to train in, and the kicking selection is similar enough. If not, I'm sure that there are other taekwondoists on campus. There may even be a taekwondo club as well.

Best wishes to you!

Daniel

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
do check around, there are other Martial Arts people on campus! Also, the school should have the facilities for you to get a bit of training in.

I mean, I did forms in my living room, with little room, so I had to do a few steps back here and there, you can very well practice your kicks without partner or bag, especially when you are without instructor: Hold on to a door frame etc and do your kicks at low/medium speed, concentrate on correct form!!! Burn, baby, Burn! :)

The dojang near campus might let you train, but like the others mentioned, don't hold your breath, and when you think about it, you can't hold it against them: They'd be running classes full of starving students and be starving themselves in no time flat!

Also, there might be a program at the Y you could join...

You have options.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
P & H I have a few question where are you and what school are you attending? Secondly put fliers up on bullintin boards asking for people to start ina TKD program there at your school. If you have no gym, than use the grassy area;s for a workout spot it is free and plenty of fresh air. I bet you will be amazed how many people will get together to start something ona campus.

The real prblem is who is going to be doing the training asa white belt you are limited, secondly exactly how long have you been training? Seriously you come on asking about you going to the Olympics than you are wanting to open a school now you need training partners, have you figured out you just need to train and get pass white belt before you start to build everything else. I mean no disrespect but I see you putting the cart way before the horses, at your rate the horse is about 100 miles behind the cart.

Disco

Green Belt
Reaction score
Your on campus, so it should be easy to stipulate that the vast majority of your time will be away from your original school. Now some common sense comes into play here..........You have a school near campus, your a white belt.......Just go and join that school and your self induced problems are over.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
#1 . Why would you even think of askiong for a freebie.
#2 . I appreciate your dliemma. As a white belt you may find differences confusing. As you advance you might find them enlightening.
#3. I was a red belt when I went to college. I sat down with a phone book and started calling schools, Asked "What forms do you teach" Found one that taught the same forms, so I went there. I paid monthly and at those times when I would not be at the school for a full month I did not pay for that month and jsut found an openm spae to practice.
#4 As a red belt, when I walked into the school and told them I was training "At home" but needed a school during my college stay they asked what rank I was. Tod them and said I would put on a white belt if they wanted, although I really did not want to be relegated to white belt techniques. I just wanted to train. I thinkthey appreciated that attitude.

jthomas1600

Blue Belt
Reaction score
How many years will you be at this college? If it will be several years, you will be spending more time on campus than at home. I would find a TKD school close to the college and call that my "home" school.

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i see what i everyone is saying and i appreciate the feedback. i think that i am going to start commuting next school year (in the fall of 2011) so if i do that then i could come home every day and go to practice at my original school when my classes are done. i think that is better than to go to a different school for only a few months and then go back to my original school. but i will check out the gym and see if they have a punching bag there and if they do, then i can practice my roundhouse kicks and such. thanks again! and yes i do realize that im going a little too fast with my dreams in regard to taekwondo lol im a dreamer so my mind is always thinking of new ideas lol

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
i see what i everyone is saying and i appreciate the feedback. i think that i am going to start commuting next school year (in the fall of 2011) so if i do that then i could come home every day and go to practice at my original school when my classes are done. i think that is better than to go to a different school for only a few months and then go back to my original school. but i will check out the gym and see if they have a punching bag there and if they do, then i can practice my roundhouse kicks and such. thanks again! and yes i do realize that im going a little too fast with my dreams in regard to taekwondo lol im a dreamer so my mind is always thinking of new ideas lol
You're simply young, excited, and enthusiastic. Nothing at all wrong with that, in general. My only caution is to be sure about what you get enthusiastic about, and to keep your priorities straight. TKD will be there when school is done...

Again, check your school's clubs and activity programs. I'd be surprised if they don't have a TKD or other martial arts club.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with following a dream, but I know many serious MA's that couldn't get serious about training until after they graduated.. Restrictions of time, money and distance had to be delt with..As the others have said check around the campus, there may be others like yourself..

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I work at a university and can appreciate the dilemma of trying to find a quiet space to train. Space is at a premium at universities these days, and outside of class time it can be hard to find a good spot to train.

I found that gyms usually didn't work out - either too much traffic to be comfortable or locked/in use. I suggest you walk the campus and see what you can find. By doing that, I found a wonderful enclosed outdoor courtyard for summer, and unused squash/racquetteball rooms for winter.

thank you in advance.

OP
P

Peace & Harmony

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
i like that idea! my college is pretty much near the woods so maybe i could find something that isnt too far away from the campus but where i can find peace and quiet you know? and of course, taekwondo is going away anytime soon so i have time. im a sophomore in college so i already know how to balance my time between school work and sports etc but i dont be overwhelemed. maybe i could do my kicks on the weekends but do my stretches during the weekday or something like that lol but thanks to everyone who gave me the feed back.

you all are awesome!

harlan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Just don't forget to be sensible about security. I personally would not train alone in the woods. Not without a gun, anyway. ;)