Question for Rick Tew Part Du

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well be impatient as I am I tried to expedite the process of having my questions answered so I called Rick at (559) 448-8740…on my own dime from Japan..I got an answering machine and left a message. Hopefully he will answer back. :idunno:

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Just a bit on Bussey from an unrelated outside observer...

Bussey was a TKD/Hapkido stylist from Fremont, NE. Fremont is a smallish town, composed primarily of rural, agriculture-oriented folks... At some point he managed to allegedly train with Hatsumi in Japan. I don't think Hatsumi nor his camp have ever disavowed that training, and I've seen pictures of Bussey, Hayes and Hatsumi all arm in arm and smiling... The period of time he spent with him has never, to my knowledge, been publicly announced. He opened a "ninja academy" (that was how it was billed back then, not "ninjutsu" as at that time folks still had no idea what that was) in Fremont, and soon after he opened another one in Omaha (my home town).

His Omaha "ninja academy" was on 80th and Arbor, and their training was, at least initially, very "ninja looking" - they had a large wooden shuriken target, they all wore black ninja uniforms, tons of Japanese weapons on racks on the walls... At some point Bussey broke with the Togakure folks and started his own thing - RBWI. His RBWI camp fractured at some point later, and there are still remnants of this schism in Omaha. Eventually, RBWI faded away, and now Bussey has his "Original Bussey Style" company up and running...

Whatever.

Bussey did at one point use belts, but there were only a few (like white, green, brown, black or something like that; he also made extensive use of sleeve patches to indicate training level or some such thing). I don't believe RBWI had belts.

From what Enson wrote, Tew sounds like a Bussey clone... A lot of the terms, wording, etc., sound very similar. Bussey's stuff was very "dynamic" to say the least, and from what I've seen of Tew's stuff online they look fairly similar.

Whatever (again). Certainly, the validity of what he does is judged not by his "dans" but by his ability to make it work "on the mat." Robert knows this (I've trained with him and felt some of what he does; he certainly makes it work for real) as well as anyone else. However, I don't think anyone can deny that certain things make red flags pop up when discussing someone's martial arts background...

The big glaring one I have the most trouble with is "running several schools by the age of 19." Because, of course, a 19 year old has so much life experience and training as a teen and pre-teen that they are capable of being a salty, experienced, martial arts teacher... Or not.

Whatever (for a third time). People get what they pay for, they get what they earn, and ultimately they get what they deserve. If folks are happy doing a make-believe art (like Koga-ryu Ninjutsu, an art that has never really existed in Japan and only exists as a made up art with a lame attempt at justifying and validating itself by linking its name to a province in Japan), then good on 'em. I just hope they never have to employ whatever fantasy techniques they are taught against someone who doesn't care what they think they've studied...

:asian:

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
I don't think Hatsumi nor his camp have ever disavowed that training, and I've seen pictures of Bussey, Hayes and Hatsumi all arm in arm and smiling...
Sorry, but that doesn't prove anything. Just look at the pictures of this guy: www.ninja-training.com

Matt Stone said:
If folks are happy doing a make-believe art (like Koga-ryu Ninjutsu, an art that has never really existed in Japan and only exists as a made up art with a lame attempt at justifying and validating itself by linking its name to a province in Japan),
Oh, but Koga ryu has existed. And Togakure ryu even has had grand masters from Koga. I believe there may be an article somewhere written by some drunk in Japan that's supposedly very informative on the subject...;)

G

getgoin

He makes no claim of liniege, shows no certifications, I don't see a problem. He doesn't put his rankings and history out, so no false claims are made. Many people out there from western arts are in the same boat. Even if they are certified, who certified them in the first place, plus who certified the first person to certifie anybody anyways, they just created something and said they were the masters of the art. If what he teaches works thats all that matters, that is the most important part of martial training. If he wants to create the grandest of all grandest sytems to ever walk upon this earth, let him. If it works people will hail him as a creator of something good, if it doesn't people will brandish him a liar and a fraud. Also age has very to do with it, Bruce Lee was what, in his late twenties early thirties when he created JKD. Steven Hawking was in his late twenties when he proved general relativity and early thirties when he proved blackholes radiate energy. Now those are two exeptional people of our time but maybe Mr. Tew can somehow come close, who knows.

If you are thinking about studying his system, go to a seminar (when you return state side that is) to learn and talk to him face to face. It's real hard to walk away from someone when they are talking to you, it's much easier to not answer a email or not return a call. Best of luck in search.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK folks.....here is the email I got back from Rick Tew's email answerer:

Hello Robert,

We are glad to hear that you are interest in Rick Tew and his Martial Science. Below I'll answer some of your questions-

To start off with, Rick is in his thirties. Growing up he trained in many different systems but the most prominent was Dux Ryu Ninjitsu. It was here that he attain the highest rank of black belt and still holds the highest rank of the system.

Rick Tew's Martial Science has been around for about 20 years in the making and is still evolving as all sciences do.

There is no difference between RTMS and Tew Ryu Ninjitsu.

It seems that you are interested in training with Rick Tew. Have you taken a look at our website? We now offer World travel and training programs, as well with a Home Study Program. Take a look and keep me updated.

http://www.totalwarrior.com/CMS/CMS_Programs/cms_programs.html

http://www.totalwarrior.com/Rick_Tew_s_Home_Study_Program/rick_tew_s_home_study_program.html

If you have any questions or comments, please contact me at this email address for the quickest response.

Thank you and have a great day!
-Kevin
www.martialartsupply.com
www.climbhigh5.com
www.totalwarrior.com

At 03:39 AM 11/23/2004, you wrote:

I would like to ask some questions about Rick Tew.

1- How old is he?

2- What arts did he study?
2A - How long did he study each art?
2B - What ranks did he reach in those arts?
2C - Who did he study under or with?

3- How old was he when he founded his RTMS?

4- What is the difference between Rick Tew's Martial Science and Tew Ryu Ninjitsu?

Thanks for your help.

Robert

Not exactly what I would call "in depth" or "informative" answers.....and certainly didn't answer any of my questions except for maybe #4

I can't even get a straight answer from his dojo...........what's up with all the deceptivness........why can't anyone come out and give a clear answer?

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Matt Stone said:
Just a bit on Bussey from an unrelated outside observer...
His Omaha "ninja academy" was on 80th and Arbor, and their training was, at least initially, very "ninja looking" - ... there are still remnants of this schism in Omaha.
To this day it still happens that guys come into the schools looking to sign up and list Bussey as their previous instructor. They almost never do sign up, though.

-David

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
getgoin said:
He makes no claim of liniege, shows no certifications, I don't see a problem.

Well, I think the problem in a lot of these cases is the claim to Japanese martial Arts with no actual or legit Japanese martial arts background. If someone wants to make up a style...fine. No problem. But if I made up a style, I wouldn't call it Paul's Aikido if I never studied legitimate Aikido, or Paul's TeaKwonDo if I never studied legitimate Korean arts, or Paul's Ninjitsu if I never studied legitamite ninjitsu.

Now, I am not saying Tew never studied legit Ninjitsu...that would all depend on whether or not Bussey is legit or not (because Dux is not). Anyways, that's one of the things that this thread is trying to find out. Thus far, it would seem that Tew has more claims in Hapkido then ninjitsu...so that begs the question as to why the art isn't called "Tew Hapkido."

Anyhow, we'll see what happeneds with more info I guess, but hopefully you see where the problem might lie here.

Paul Janulis

G

getgoin

Tulisan said:
Well, I think the problem in a lot of these cases is the claim to Japanese martial Arts with no actual or legit Japanese martial arts background. If someone wants to make up a style...fine. No problem. But if I made up a style, I wouldn't call it Paul's Aikido if I never studied legitimate Aikido, or Paul's TeaKwonDo if I never studied legitimate Korean arts, or Paul's Ninjitsu if I never studied legitamite ninjitsu.
I see your point and it might disturb some. I'm not one of them though. What if he wanted to call it Tew Boxing or Tew Wrestling without ever studying either art, would anybody make a stink then, probably not. And both are arts into themselves, there just western arts. I'm not trying to make a stink between east and west, I just think that people put too much into something because of it's name or point of origin.

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tulisan said:
that would all depend on whether or not Bussey is legit or not
He's not, at least as far as having a teaching license in the Bujinkan, or any of its schools.

Jeff

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
OK folks.....here is the email I got back from Rick Tew's email answerer:

Not exactly what I would call "in depth" or "informative" answers.....and certainly didn't answer any of my questions except for maybe #4

I can't even get a straight answer from his dojo...........what's up with all the deceptivness........why can't anyone come out and give a clear answer?

Well, it would seem that the main art claim by Tew is Dux Ryu, meaning that there is definatily a legitimacy problem here.

As to the lack of information...well, that doesn't surprise me. Tew isn't the only one who is guilty of doing that here either. In martial arts there is often this idea that is put forth of "We don't have to answer to anyone" when questions are asked, and "Well, you wouldn't understand unless you trained with us" so "If your really curious, then pay to do one of our seminars or clinics."

This mimicks cult-like behavior. It propigates an aire of superiority; an elite "us" against "them" (the masses) mentality (we don't need to answer to anyone). "You wouldn't understand why we wear the pyramid hats unless you wear them with us, and go to our clinics, and BE with US..."

In cults, they don't want to give detailed answers because they want you to agree with them and be with them BEFORE they give you the answer, rather then let you make your own informed logical decision. That is how they snag unsuspecting members. Someone asks a few questions, and in return they get some vague replies that are very kind, yet don't really answer anything, with an invitation to go to a clinic, or a class. Then, lets say your interested enough to take the seminar. You have now spent your time and money to go do something, and since no one likes to be ripped off, you walk in WANTING it to be everything it promises to be. You meet nice people, you do things that you've never done before that FEEL and SEEM right, and next thing you know, your a group member. Once a member, then you find yourself in a position where you have to advocate for the group that your a part of, regardless of whether or not it is legitimate, or right, or wrong; or you risk being labeled the idiot by others and shunned by the group that took you in.

Here is some basic info on Martial-Cults: http://www.geocities.com/paul_janulis/ezine.html Go down to my link on "Martial Cults."

Now, I am not saying that Tew Ryu is a martial cult; this behavior is demonstrated all over in the martial arts community, and sometimes by good people who don't mean to demonstrate cult-like behavior. However, that doesn't make the behavior right. In the real world, you can get information on your product before you spend money on it or recommend it. And, that is how it should be in the martial arts world.

Paul Janulis

:supcool:

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
getgoin said:
I see your point and it might disturb some. I'm not one of them though. What if he wanted to call it Tew Boxing or Tew Wrestling without ever studying either art, would anybody make a stink then, probably not. And both are arts into themselves, there just western arts. I'm not trying to make a stink between east and west, I just think that people put too much into something because of it's name or point of origin.

I understand your point and agree with the fact that people make too much out of names of arts and such.

I guess it depends on how generic one would consider the name "ninjitsu." However, this isn't the same of saying "I do kickboxing" when they really do TKD, or putting a sign that says "Karate" on the front of your school when you don't do Karate but Karate is a generic enough name for people to want to inquire.

This is a question of falsely claiming legitimicy in a real art. If I call my school "Paul's Boxing" when I don't really box, that is iffy, but I might get away with it. However, I am not going to get away with making a false claim to a boxing lineage, like I trained with Jack Dempseys top pupil and fought in underground bare-knuckle fights. Dux's claim to ninjitsu is the equivilent of my example. Tew claims that lineage. So, as I said, there may be a legitamacy problem here with Tew, and those who do ninjitsu (real ninjitsu) may have a legitamite beef over this.

Anyways, I am outta this thread. I really don't want to bad mouth someone I don't know, so I apologize; this isn't an attempt at bad-mouthing Tew. I am not saying he is a bad person, or that he isn't talented. I wouldn't know as I have never met him. I am only calling the facts as I see them.

Paul

Enson

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
i have spoken to kevin many times. kevin is the marketing manager for rtms. i believe he comes from a kempo backround and doesn't know much regarding the history of ninjutsu. (its funny that most of the rtms students don't know much about ninjutsu history... they only go to train with sensei.) that being said he can probably only associate ninjutsu with dux ryu. i don't think he knows the shakey ground dux walks on so he does not know the difference between bussey and dux. i have seen dux ryu in action... some of it was okay (aside from their unproven claims).. i have also seen rbwi offshoots in action. most of our technique is derived from that. i don't see too much resemblence to dux than i do with bussey's stuff. thats my personal opinion anyway.

as far as lineage goes... i have always stated that sensei started under dux and moved on. please refer to prior post to see more info. studied tja kai martial science, hapkido, ninjutsu w/bussey

re: bussey... you know its funny how people that don't agree with you delete some belts as to make you seem to know less than. i did some research and i heard through a few sources...(i don't remember which right now) that bussey was 6th dan... then i came to martial talk and saw how many people disliked bussey and he all of the sudden had 5th dan then 4th dan then 2nd kyu... then someone said "only around long enough to get a picture with hatsumi" now people are saying he never even studied ninjutsu. then some will talk about menkyo kaiden which has been abandoned by hatsumi from what i understand. i would hope the martial artist here would be mature enough to look at bussey and judge for themselves. www.robertbussey.com there are alot of "haters" in this world. in fact the unfortunate thing is i have never met as many as i did when i started martial arts.

re: sensei tew... i will admit info is hard to come by when it comes to his history. the little i know i have had to research and fight for. he states that he doesn't want people to look at his past but judge him for what he does now. if some don't, well you can keep on looking. if you find out something that i haven't stated... let me know too.;)

peace

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Enson said:
re: bussey... you know its funny how people that don't agree with you delete some belts as to make you seem to know less than. i did some research and i heard through a few sources...(i don't remember which right now) that bussey was 6th dan... then i came to martial talk and saw how many people disliked bussey and he all of the sudden had 5th dan then 4th dan then 2nd kyu... then someone said "only around long enough to get a picture with hatsumi" now people are saying he never even studied ninjutsu. then some will talk about menkyo kaiden which has been abandoned by hatsumi from what i understand. i would hope the martial artist here would be mature enough to look at bussey and judge for themselves. www.robertbussey.com there are alot of "haters" in this world. in fact the unfortunate thing is i have never met as many as i did when i started martial arts.
I'm curious which sources you're referring to... I've heard for many years from sources in and out of Japan that Bussey never took the sakki test, nor received a shidoshi license in the Bujinkan. If you don't have a teaching license in the Bujinkan, then you're not qualified to teach it, end of story.
As for Bussey's skill, it's a matter of personal opinion. Personally, from what I've seen of his stuff, it relies too much on power and speed. This would make it inappropriate for an older or smaller person.

Jeff

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Enson: "(its funny that most of the rtms students don't know much about ninjutsu history... they only go to train with sensei.)"

That's convenient.

"that being said he can probably only associate ninjutsu with dux ryu."

That could be a problem.

"as far as lineage goes... i have always stated that sensei started under dux and moved on. .. studied tja kai martial science, hapkido, ninjutsu w/bussey"

"re: bussey... you know its funny how people that don't agree with you delete some belts as to make you seem to know less than."

I have not seen anything like this happen. The only thing I have seen regarding Bussey's time in the Bujinkan (where he may or may not have learned ninjutsu) agrees with Kreth's post:

"I've heard for many years from sources in and out of Japan that Bussey never took the sakki test, nor received a shidoshi license in the Bujinkan. If you don't have a teaching license in the Bujinkan, then you're not qualified to teach it, end of story."

Enson: "i would hope the martial artist here would be mature enough to look at bussey and judge for themselves."

Again, I must urge you not to confuse the issues of credentials and ability.

Also, I have seen Mr. Bussey in action and neither was I impressed, nor did I see any trace of ninjutsu influence. Perhaps I just haven't seen enough to make a proper judgment.

"re: sensei tew... i will admit info is hard to come by when it comes to his history. the little i know i have had to research and fight for. he states that he doesn't want people to look at his past but judge him for what he does now."

I'm sorry, but you (meaning Mr. Tew or anyone else) can't really tell people not to look into your history; in fact, saying such raises more suspicion.

Personally, I too am one that cares more about ability than history, I'd just rather have both if I can get it. I think I mentioned to you before one time that I would love an opportunity to train in the RTMS style for a while to check it out. From what I've seen the training and the camps look really cool.
I wouldn't pass judgment on his ability or that of his students based on a spotty background. However, if I did go to train with Mr. Tew or one of his style's instructors, and they said one day, "Today we are going to practice some ninjutsu," and what I was shown was something I know not to be ninjutsu, I would be a little upset. [light sarcasm] But then again, it is just a word, right? So what's the big deal. [/light sarcasm]

You may also have noticed that I refer to Mr. Tew as such and not as "sensei Tew." Until it is verified that he received teaching credentials in a Japanese style, referring to him as "sensei" is kinda silly - especially when his style goes out of its way to distance themselves from any Japanese lineage, and not use foriegn terms (because it is an American art); yet still clings to the words, "ninjutsu" and "sensei."

"peace"

Peace be with you as well. :)

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Since most of my initial questions went conveniently unanswered I decided to ask the same questions yet a 2nd time to see if just possibly I could get anymore information.
However, it seems that folks over at Rick Tew’s have all suffered some sort of mass amnesia and can barely remember anything but his name.

At 04:56 AM 11/24/2004, you wrote:

Actually you didn’t really answer my questions in detail.
You just kind of glossed over most of them.
1- How old is he?

2- What arts did he study?
2A - How long did he study each art?
2B - What ranks did he reach in those arts?
2C - Who did he study under or with?

3- How old was he when he founded his RTMS?

4- What is the difference between Rick Tew's Martial Science and Tew Ryu Ninjitsu?

You did answer #4……thanks.
What about the others? Can you be more specific?
For example:
1) In his 30’s…….is he closer to 40 or closer to 30?
2) How many years was he in DUX Ryu? 1? 5? 10?
3) What rank does he have under Dux Ryu? Is he a Black belt 1st degree? 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 9th, 10th?

Regards,

Robert
-----------------------

Hello Robert,

We are glad to see that you have taken an interest in learning more about your future sensei. Unfortunately I have given you all the information that I know regarding Sensei Rick Tew.

Take a look at the site and if you like what you see send me an email so I can help guide you to the training program that best fits you. Until then, "actions speak louder than words."

If you have any questions, please email me at this address for the quickest response.

Thank you and have a great day!
-Kevin
(866) 742-5839
CMS Sales Representative
Take the Challenge!

My own personal hypothesis is that Tew only got rank in Dux Ryu and since Dux has been a proven liar and fake Tew would rather not flaunt probably his one and only instructor, which would thereby negate any claim to actual martial arts training.

By the way, I watched Tew using the nunchaku on his website……using them the way Tew does might impress some teenage boys that wanna be fellow “chuckers” but the “Ninja Turtle” way he uses that weapon is incorrect and useless in a “real life” situation……and that’s what Tew claims to be teaching for doesn’t he…….

My third email to Rick Tew:
Kevin,

Actually I would just like my original questions answered without the “used car salesman" type pitch.

Personally I found your answers to be more deceptive than anything else.

Regards,

Robert

G

getgoin

Tulisan said:
This is a question of falsely claiming legitimicy in a real art. If I call my school "Paul's Boxing" when I don't really box, that is iffy, but I might get away with it. However, I am not going to get away with making a false claim to a boxing lineage, like I trained with Jack Dempseys top pupil and fought in underground bare-knuckle fights. Dux's claim to ninjitsu is the equivilent of my example. Tew claims that lineage. So, as I said, there may be a legitamacy problem here with Tew, and those who do ninjitsu (real ninjitsu) may have a legitamite beef over this.
Paul
If he is claiming that then there is a problem, I agree.

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Shizen Shigoku said:
You may also have noticed that I refer to Mr. Tew as such and not as "sensei Tew." Until it is verified that he received teaching credentials in a Japanese style, referring to him as "sensei" is kinda silly - especially when his style goes out of its way to distance themselves from any Japanese lineage, and not use foriegn terms (because it is an American art); yet still clings to the words, "ninjutsu" and "sensei."

"peace"

Peace be with you as well. :)

:cheers:

OP
RRouuselot

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Enson said:
i have spoken to kevin many times. kevin is the marketing manager for rtms. i believe he comes from a kempo backround and doesn't know much regarding the history of ninjutsu. (its funny that most of the rtms students don't know much about ninjutsu history... they only go to train with sensei.) that being said he can probably only associate ninjutsu with dux ryu. i don't think he knows the shakey ground dux walks on so he does not know the difference between bussey and dux. i have seen dux ryu in action... some of it was okay (aside from their unproven claims).. i have also seen rbwi offshoots in action. most of our technique is derived from that. i don't see too much resemblence to dux than i do with bussey's stuff. thats my personal opinion anyway.

as far as lineage goes... i have always stated that sensei started under dux and moved on. please refer to prior post to see more info. studied tja kai martial science, hapkido, ninjutsu w/bussey

peace

It seems you know more about Tew than Kevin who is the marketing manager…..maybe you guys should switch jobs…….at least you have coughed up more info on Tew.

According to Kevin (see below) Tew got most of his training from Dux…..

Kevin said:
Growing up he trained in many different systems but the most prominent was Dux Ryu Ninjitsu. It was here that he attain the highest rank of black belt and still holds the highest rank of the system.

Shizen Shigoku

Purple Belt
Reaction score
RRouuselot: ":cheers:"

I could sure use one as well!

From your email to Kevin: "Actually I would just like my original questions answered without the 'used car salesman' type pitch."

Wow, I kinda got that feeling as well. Look at the word choices:

"We are glad to see that you have taken an interest in learning more about your future sensei. ..."

" . . . if you like what you see send me an email so I can help guide you to the training program that best fits you."

"Until then, 'actions speak louder than words.' "

Seems a bit presumptuous - as if he expects you to join and see the "actions" before he helps you further with "words."

Fine sales tactics, but not very useful as a research source.

Latest Discussions