Question for people who have trained in Aikido for a while.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So you grab my wrist and half a second later you are letting go? If you could do that, and I doubt that you can grab, do something and release again in half a second, what was the point. Above, you are talking about 'many advantages' of grabbing the wrist and now you're grabbing and letting go straight away. I'm a little bit confused as to what you were grabbing the wrist for in the first place.

The reason is simple, for a grappler, he has to pass the wrist gate in order to reach to the elbow gate. To pass the elbow gate in order to reach to the shoulder/head/body gate (final destination).

In the following clip, the wrist grip will be replaced by an elbow grip, followed by ... That wrist grip only last for 1/2 second. That wrist grip is only temporary. What he really wants is the elbow grip.

Me because if I have your right wrist you are probably about to have a painful lock applied.
wink.gif
I will only have hold of that wrist if I intend using it for something. But conversely, if my opponent has hold of my right wrist it is still me with the advantage. I can take my hand away at any time virtually as if it is not being held at all.

You have just state the "spear and shield paradox" - What will happen when the sharpest spear meets the strongest shield?

If

- you have your opponent's wrist, you will apply a painful lock on him.
- your opponent has your wrist, you can take your hand away any time virtually as if it is not being held at all.

What will happen if you "travel back in time", meet yourself, and use your right hand to grab on the right wrist of "another you"?

Last edited by a moderator:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The reason is simple, for a grappler, he has to pass the wrist gate in order to reach to the elbow gate. To pass the elbow gate in order to reach to the shoulder/head/body gate (final destination).

In the following clip, the wrist grip will be replaced by an elbow grip, followed by ... That wrist grip only last for 1/2 second. That wrist grip is only temporary. What he really wants is the elbow grip.

To me that is controlling, not grabbing. We do have similar techniques but that is not one I would choose to use.

You have just state the "spear and shield paradox" - What will happen when the sharpest spear meets the strongest shield?

Not sure how you are using this analogy.

If

- you have your opponent's wrist, you will apply a painful lock on him.
- your opponent has your wrist, you can take your hand away any time virtually as if it is not being held at all.

True but I have not been trying to grab the wrist. I had it as a consequence of another technique. Huge difference.

What will happen if you "travel back in time", meet yourself, and use your right hand to grab on the right wrist of "another you"?

Same, same. There is absolutely no way I would be trying to get hold of the other me's wrist. :)
Most people have no idea of the principles of Aikido, yet those principles translate seamlessly into other arts.
:asian:

Last edited by a moderator:

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Aikido training utilising wrist holds has nothing to do with fighting. It is is part of an exercise, actually a number of exercises, designed to develop your ability to move around an opponent's strength without using force. As Uke, you feel immediately someone start to use strength or allow tension in their arm and you can easily stop them moving. By developing the ability to not allow tension in the arm being held it becomes easy to bypass your opponent's strength and Uke can no longer prevent you from moving.
:asian:

THIS^^^^.

It's a paradox in Aikido. If you try to muscle your way through a technique and use power...it might work...but probably won't. You have to let go (it's hard), while focusing, and just applying the technique properly.

If you do it right, you should barely even be using any muscles.