Question for mods re: challenges vs meet ups/forum ettiquette

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Well...I challenge anyone to overpower my incredibly slow powers of Taijiquan.... I will slowly walk over and gracefully. and slowly. grab you and ever so slowly throw you to the ground....but it will be slow.... no fast moves allowed...... :D

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well... First, you really should read what you're agreeing to. :D

But it would be pretty hard to somehow stop people promoting themselves or promoting ideas. We do restrict outright commercial activities (like "Buy my new DVD) to Staff Members, Supporting Members, and those who have paid for the privilege. But simply promoting your own opinions of training? Well, that's kind of the point, no?

There are, in most arts represented her, a few people who are so forceful, insistent, or just plain nasty about promoting what they think that they end up derailing threads. Some are more active, and more successful, than others. They often cross multiple lines, and end up getting banned. You, as a member, can fight them. First -- use the RTM button. That lets the Staff know that there's a problem. We can't always read every post... Second -- don't feed the trolls. Don't encourage them, don't cooperate with them, don't let them derail that thread, and fight the urge to follow them into the rabbit hole.
Excellent advice. Highlighting posts by using the RTM function is a much more constructive way to go than to respond to a challenge in kind.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well...I challenge anyone to overpower my incredibly slow powers of Taijiquan.... I will slowly walk over and gracefully. and slowly. grab you and ever so slowly throw you to the ground....but it will be slow.... no fast moves allowed...... :D
I don't think I'll take that risk. You guys are dangerous...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Please let me know if I'm totally out in the left field ...

An challenge is not always obvious or blatant. Some member of this forum and I had the unfortunate/unpleasant pleasure of keyboard battles with Hendrik on other forum.

When he tell others that they can be "handled with ease", refer to the hand full of people he had bestow his new discoveries, in that particular context ... it sure sounds like an challenge to me. If nothing else, he willfully inciting an riot, meaning causing others to issue counter challenges to have him prove or back up his claim. Is this type of behavior acceptable?

I sounded the alarm when someone mentioned Hendrik's name few months ago (before he implanted himself here), that he will pollute and trash this forum as he had to others (that's only one of the reason why he's not welcome there any more).

If there is anyone person to be ban, or should I say shun IMHO, is quit obvious. I would like to see all members put that to a vote.

As with any forum follow the TOS that members agreed to when they sign up. It really isn't hard and actually pretty easy. As to membership voting for a person to be banned that is not how MartialTalk works. When a member violates the TOS then they will experience the appropriate response from the moderation team.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've got money on you, K-man. Don't let me down.
Mate big mistake! If you want to win money, back Brian. The bookies have him at 100 to 1. You'll only get evens on me. I'm happy to take a dive, for a percentage. :p

Vajramusti

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As with any forum follow the TOS that members agreed to when they sign up. It really isn't hard and actually pretty easy. As to membership voting for a person to be banned that is not how MartialTalk works. When a member violates the TOS then they will experience the appropriate response from the moderation team.
----------------------------------------
I agree- voting is irrelevant. Forums have changing and wandering participants.The other forum had no real moderation. Here the moderator have shown good sense.. but they are limited in their time.When someone
has gone overboard with repeated soliloquies , spams, sales pitches, incivilities and warnings have little effect-bounce them IMO..

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem is when you try to share your idea, someone may ask:

- Who are you?
- What MA systems have you trained?
- Who is your teacher?

When you have mentioned your teacher's name, the "style" or "organization" may be dragged into the discussion.

I don't like to ask anyone to identify himself. But many times people would ask me:

- What make you think that you are qualified to answer OP's question?
- How much do you know about this MA system?
- Have you compete in tournament yourself?
- What's your competition record?

The discussion would get "personal" after that. So how can we avoid that?
Allow me to refer you to The Rules at 1.10.2 and 1.10.3, and also 4.16.

1.10.2 No Art bashing.

No one art is "the best", no one "style" is the best. All have their strengths and weaknesses. Do your research and find what best fits your ability and need.

1.10.3 No Individual Bashing / Fraud Busting.

It is not our mission to out and expose frauds or decide who "sucks". Such discussions rarely lead anywhere other than to headaches, and lawsuits.

4.16 Official Policy on “Fraud” Busting and Credential Verification.

4.16.1 Fraud Busting

Due to its nature, this forum encourages the asking and answering of questions. Many times one member will have questions and concerns about the history, skills, lineage, or paperwork of another member. In other cases, things may be stated on a webpage, flyer or article relating to a member that raises some questions. Sometimes, comments will have been made elsewhere and those issues carried over to MartialTalk.

MartialTalk and its staff encourage the polite and professional search for knowledge. Questions and concerns may be brought up, with the understanding that the other party is under no requirement to answer.

Most questions may be raised within the forums dedicated to a particular art or area of interest. For example, Kenpo Lineage questions in the Kenpo forum, are fine. Others of a more serious note, are to be limited to The Great Debate forum.

Excessive "Inquisitor-style" questioning is not allowed and will be subject to administrative action. If you have had to ask a question more than 3 times, you are most likely running the risk of "excessive".

In addition, "Hot Pursuit" actions will not be tolerated. The "Hot Pursuit" is defined as asking the same or similar questions in multiple threads and / or forums.

Members who become obsessed, inquisitors or interrogators will be subject to administrative action. Members who are involved in excessive arguments that disrupt the forum, may be subject to administrative action due to the disruption of the normal operation of this forum

4.16.2 Credential Verification

The staff of this forum is certainly concerned with the rising problem of falsified and otherwise questionable credentials. Due to the costs in time and money, as well as possible language barriers, we are unable to perform verifications. Because of the number of different organizations, splits and other divergences, absolute certainty of authenticity can only be achieved in a few select areas.

While each member of our unpaid, volunteer staff has their own area of knowledge, we do not feel we are qualified to evaluate the skills of those who have not trained in our own arts. The Karateka is simply not qualified to decide if the Kenpoist's Karate is any good. Each art has its own requirements and guidelines. It is humanly impossible to understand them all.

The simple truth is this: there are thousands of opinions on what is right, and wrong in the arts. We encourage our members to share their ideas in a polite manner.

MartialTalk staff will not be involved in credential verification or skills evaluations.

4.16.3 Consumer Complaints
Members may make consumer complaints, and consumer warning posts. If you are complaining about someone, it must be based on first hand experience. What happened to a complete stranger half a country away doesn't count. All content must comply to our existing policy rules.

4.16.4 Fraud Reports
MartialTalk has an existing fraud busting policy. It's intent is to avoid site disruptions, juvenile games, and mud fests. Members may report on verifiable cases of fraud and criminal behavior in the Horror Stories section. All content must comply to our existing policy rules.

4.16.5 Non-Desirables
In some cases, non-desirable individuals might attempt to join our community. When found, they are subject to ban.
Who do we deem as non-desirable here?

1- Convicted Sex Offenders.
2- Convicted Frauds
3- Anyone falsifying their rank, achievements or experience for the purpose of misleading clients and prospects.
4- Anyone selling, issuing or otherwise distributing falsified, counterfeit or unauthorized modified credentials such as diplomas, certificates and rank.
5- Anyone impersonating a lawyer, law enforcement or government official.
6- Anyone falsifying their identity under our RealName policy.
7- Anyone falsifying military experience in a verifiable manner.

Acceptable proof of wrong here is:
1- Verifiable Court Documents such as court orders and court decisions.
2- Newspaper articles in credible papers
3- News releases direct from credible organizations
4- Government Records

Unacceptable Proof
1- Threads on so called "advocate" sites that are little more than sloppy research and angry teen angst
2- Emailed notes stating "hey so and so is a liar"

An accusation of wrong doing is not sufficient, proof must be presented. While we are aware that there are many many individuals and websites who view themselves as consumer advocates and guardians of the truth, our criteria must be set higher than the often sloppy detective work done by amateurs.

Information presented may be submitted to law enforcement or other government agencies for verification, and those submitting falsified evidence turned over for possible prosecution.

We may modify the acceptable and unacceptable proof, and this policy at any time. Proof should be presented in public, not emailed to our Staff. Those who choose to post evidence are subject to site policy and the law, and are solely responsible for their postings. Neither MartialTalk nor it's Staff will be held accountable.

Abuse of this policy is subject to administrative action.

Opinions, advice, statements, offers, or other information or content made available through MartialTalk are those of their respective authors and not of MartialTalk, and should not necessarily be relied upon. Such authors are solely responsible for the accuracy of such content. MartialTalk does not guarantee the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information on MartialTalk and neither adopts nor endorses nor is responsible for the accuracy or reliability of any opinion, advice or statement made. Under no circumstances will MartialTalk be responsible for any loss or damage resulting from anyone's reliance on information or other content posted on MartialTalk. 47 U.S.C. § 230(c)(1)

We will comply with all properly served court orders for information, assistance and data.

Latest Discussions