Question about windows2000

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As many of you have followed my saga here with my computer I finally got it up and running last week. It's working great.
Now my question is; While I'm on the internet I receive pop-ups every now and then that say windows has detected a virus go to this www. (fill in the blank) web site to have it removed. I have installed my Norton system works and ran the anti-virus and it has come up with nothing.
I've also recieved a pop up that said windows found 10 spyware on your pc and go to this www. website to have it removed. Once again I ran spybot, it usually finds 2. I delete them but still get the message from time to time.
The last pop up I get says there's 100 file registries that need fixed and low and behold go to this www. site to fix it. Again, Norton does not find any errors.
Is this normal for windows 2000 to have these pop ups or is there actually a virus forcing these pop ups? I have never been on the sites that it recommends due to the fact I don't want to get a virus from the site itself.
And again,
Thanks to CFR and his help my pc is running great.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Most likely, you're seeing Messenger popups.

To disable:
START - PROGRAMS - ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS - SERVICES

Look down the list for MESSENGER

Right Click - select STOP

----

You can also run a quality firewall such as ZoneAlarm which can block them as well.

I do both.

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I use a cheapy popup blocker I got off download.com called Bayden Popup Blocker, it was free, and less than a meg. whenever a popup is detected, the program gives you four choices, allow, allow all from site, block, block all from site.

Latest Discussions