Question About Tae Kwon Do

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Another TKD dojang opened in my neighborhood. I believe there are about 7 or 8 within a few mile radius of my house. I noticed that they all have a student base of young kids. And, that is what they are targeting in their storefront advertising. My question is, are there adult practicioners in this art or has this become a style only kids practice? I have yet to see any adults training in these dojangs.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Lol yes there are adults practicing it, and a few of them do know a lot about martial arts and fighting. But as it usually happens to any style in fact, those are a minority. You should better look very carefully before joining (and more important: remaining in) a dojang/dojo. It's better to lose a few months finding a good school than losing years at a school where you won't learn anything of value (at least according to your interests). Don't lose your interest in joining a martial arts school: it's worth all the time you spend in it. Also remember that the quality of the teacher is more important than the style taught.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another TKD dojang opened in my neighborhood. I believe there are about 7 or 8 within a few mile radius of my house. I noticed that they all have a student base of young kids. And, that is what they are targeting in their storefront advertising. My question is, are there adult practicioners in this art or has this become a style only kids practice? I have yet to see any adults training in these dojangs.

Is this intended to be a serious question, or a troll? I can't help but wonder.

But, let's assume, for the sake of arguement, that this is a serious question.
Yes, there are plenty of adult TKD practitioners. If there were not, you'd not see them in the Olympics, eh?
From my experience commercial schools in general, regardless of style, target children.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm not inquiring because I'm considering joining aTKD school. No offense, but I have no interest. I'm very happy with my art that I've been studying for many, many years. It's just that I can't help but notice all the very young kids that are in the TKD classes and their parents watching whenever I'm in a shopping center. Never see adults training.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is this intended to be a serious question, or a troll? I can't help but wonder.

But, let's assume, for the sake of arguement, that this is a serious question.
Yes, there are plenty of adult TKD practitioners. If there were not, you'd not see them in the Olympics, eh?
From my experience commercial schools in general, regardless of style, target children.

Very much a serious question. Just relating my observations. Not trying to hurt your feelings.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score

Kids are the biggest market for many activities you will find few adults in by comparison. Difference is that MA is often marketed to kids and adults at the same facility while other activities only market to kids because few adults are potential customers. When it comes to various athletic leagues compare the number of adults involved to the number of kids for: Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, all manner of dance class and you see where the market is.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score

Tkd is mostly a kiddie activity, because thats where the bucks are, so follow the money. Tkd is not alone; other MA have sold out, too. If you plan on being an adult learner in the ma, you will be part of a small minority. If you really want to workout with peers, things like krav maga and mma attract adult men.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kids are the biggest market for many activities you will find few adults in by comparison. Difference is that MA is often marketed to kids and adults at the same facility while other activities only market to kids because few adults are potential customers. When it comes to various athletic leagues compare the number of adults involved to the number of kids for: Soccer, Baseball, Basketball, Football, all manner of dance class and you see where the market is.

I'm not really seeing that in my area. We don't have kids where I train KFSS. And with the exception of the TKD dojangs, the Kenpo, Krav, BJJ and Shotokan Dojos in the area are packed with adults, not kids. I don't see signs on the storefronts with animated characters of kids in gi's and photos of all the kids in the classes.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Many TKD businesses have chosen to focus on the youth market. They often provide after school programs that amount to day care with a slight martial arts twist (I have major issues with this, because they often don't have to meet the same standards as actual day care programs since they are "sports". The same could be said about other sports, but I'm not aware of any that have so blatantly created day care programs under another name.) Some also promote family programs and classes. It's a marketing decision; they've got to pay the bills somehow. And it's not limited to TKD, though I think various forms of TKD are probably the largest segment of that business. I know of a Kyukushin dojo that does the same thing, as well as a bunch of somewhat mixed/eclectic programs.

Like I said -- it's all about business.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
In Korea, tkd schools are like daycare. The quality of instruction is pretty poor. Kids get their aggressions out and have fun. It is big business. The ones with a semblance of talent get into the sport side as they grow up. Yes, sport not self defense.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I really do understand the business need and TKD obviously is a kids style now. But I remember back in the day classes were made up of adults. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Pretty sad.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
In Korea, tkd schools are like daycare. The quality of instruction is pretty poor. Kids get their aggressions out and have fun. It is big business. The ones with a semblance of talent get into the sport side as they grow up. Yes, sport not self defense.

And you know this based on how much time training in Korea?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I really do understand the business need and TKD obviously is a kids style now. But I remember back in the day classes were made up of adults. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore. Pretty sad.

This may be true of some schools, but it's certainly not true of others, nor do I belive it holds true for TKD in general.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
[quote name=&quot;Rumy73&quot; post=1626953]In Korea, tkd schools are like daycare. The quality of instruction is pretty poor. Kids get their aggressions out and have fun. It is big business. The ones with a semblance of talent get into the sport side as they grow up. Yes, sport not self defense.[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
And you know this based on how much time training in Korea?<br/>

I think Rumy is overstating things to a degree, though he's correct in many cases. I don't think I would say that the instruction is poor, but I would generally agree that instructors aren't pushing every student as hard as they could.

In many ways it's like little league baseball. Kids learn about the "game" and reap some other benefits. Then, the students who are interested/talented train more seriously later.

I don't think the instruction is poor overall, though, because I've seen plenty of "nobodies" here who are better than almost anyone I ever saw in America.

As far as sports vs. self-defense, I think it's fair to say the focus is largely on sports.

My opinion is based on 7 years of living, training, and teaching in Korea.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well I guess MMA is becoming a kid art as well since 95% of all schools around here target kids for kids mma classes as well. Plus they now do afterschol pickup and summercamps for kids, my point is every art is targeting kids that is how tey keep there doors open.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
[quote name="Rumy73" post=1626953]In Korea, tkd schools are like daycare. The quality of instruction is pretty poor. Kids get their aggressions out and have fun. It is big business. The ones with a semblance of talent get into the sport side as they grow up. Yes, sport not self defense.

I think Rumy is overstating things to a degree, though he's correct in many cases. I don't think I would say that the instruction is poor, but I would generally agree that instructors aren't pushing every student as hard as they could.

In many ways it's like little league baseball. Kids learn about the "game" and reap some other benefits. Then, the students who are interested/talented train more seriously later.

I don't think the instruction is poor overall, though, because I've seen plenty of "nobodies" here who are better than almost anyone I ever saw in America.

As far as sports vs. self-defense, I think it's fair to say the focus is largely on sports.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

So our time spent there is similar. For the record, I am not saying the instructors are bad but have you watched testing kkw? Kids line up in droves, barely execute the poomse with any life and the next group follows with the same lackluster. Sparring is pretty bad, too. I am not saying this unique to Korea.

Jaeimseu

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

So our time spent there is similar. For the record, I am not saying the instructors are bad but have you watched testing kkw? Kids line up in droves, barely execute the poomse with any life and the next group follows with the same lackluster. Sparring is pretty bad, too. I am not saying this unique to Korea.[/QUOTE]

I've been to quite a few tests at Kukkiwon and graded there myself. Very few students impress me, but that was also true back in the US.

Most people aren't very good at martial arts or any other physical activity. And many people who think they are good don't really have any concept of what good truly is. But to be honest, I like that about Taekwondo. It's an inclusive martial art. There's room for everybody from the hobbyist to the hardcore athlete.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
So our time spent there is similar. For the record, I am not saying the instructors are bad but have you watched testing kkw? Kids line up in droves, barely execute the poomse with any life and the next group follows with the same lackluster. Sparring is pretty bad, too. I am not saying this unique to Korea.

I've been to quite a few tests at Kukkiwon and graded there myself. Very few students impress me, but that was also true back in the US.

Most people aren't very good at martial arts or any other physical activity. And many people who think they are good don't really have any concept of what good truly is. But to be honest, I like that about Taekwondo. It's an inclusive martial art. There's room for everybody from the hobbyist to the hardcore athlete.

Sent from my SHV-E210K using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

I agree. Plenty of terrible students in the USA. I mentioned Korea, because many Americans fetishize or romanticize what they think is happening in terms of the martial arts in Asia.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

That is not a TKD issue. That is not a KKW issue. That is not a Korean school issue.

That is a baby black belt issue and affects pretty much all martial arts.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
That is not a TKD issue. That is not a KKW issue. That is not a Korean school issue.

That is a baby black belt issue and affects pretty much all martial arts.

How is it not a tkd issue? It is happening in tkd schools? Kkw is promoting those kids to bb! Give me a break. Sorry these realities hurt your pride, but facts are facts. Further, I only mentioned Korea in one context, this mention was not the exclusion of other places. For when the flagship is acting as described, it is no surprise that the satellites have followed suite. For the record, I am not slamming anything. It is what is.

Latest Discussions