Question About Starting a Class at the YMCA

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would. Not a money-making one, but it might meet the definition. (The IRS would still probably rule it a “hobby”.)

I don't care what the IRS thinks. If I have to do paperwork, it's a business. And I do enough paperwork in my night job. I'm not doing more. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't care what the IRS thinks. If I have to do paperwork, it's a business. And I do enough paperwork in my night job. I'm not doing more. :)
I get it. And I assumed that about your program. I was posting that more for folks reading the thread.

Side note - it turns out it’s not much paperwork when you have almost no students. Filing a “nothing to report” report is pretty easy.

OP
wingchun100

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
You don't knock people down? Your system doesn't include any locks/throws/sweeps? TKD certainly isn't what most people would consider a grappling art, but we do include all those things. So we need mats. And we would even if the floor wasn't tile over concrete.
We have 1.5" thick mats, a couple heavy bags, some heavy kicking shields, striking targets, focus mitts, a bunch of re-breakable boards and a few hogu (that are rarely used). Students are expected to buy their own sparring gear (which can be very inexpensive; Century has cloth covered pads for something like $15.). We require hand and foot pads, and strongly encourage a cup, mouth guard and headgear. Students who leave or outgrow their gear (including uniforms) often bring them in and donate them to the program. We then give them to someone.

No throws. Locks? Occasionally, but those don't have to involve going to the ground. Some sweeps, yes.

Latest Discussions