Question about mantis-fist

P

Praying-Mantis

Hello people, especially 7starmantis,

I got a question about the "mantis-fist".

Untill now I have just learned the "mantis-hook"
(I suppose you know what I mean). However, I often read about the mantis-fist, which i supposed to be a way of holding your hand in order to concentrate all the strike force through a single finger. I have never seen such a thing anywhere, my teacher never told me about such a fist, and I have never seen him practicing it.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows something about this?

praying-mantis

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've never actually heard it called "mantis-fist" but my sigung practiced a single finger strike. He showed us a video of him using it to punch through a stop sign. Pretty impressive if you ask me, this was years back however when he lived at the Wah-Lum Temple in Florida.

7sm

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'd like to see that video. Being able to punch through a stop sing with one finger sounds ccool

OP
S

Skarbromantis

Never have I heard of this, you can condition your fingers, but there is no mantis fist in 7 * PM.

Skard1

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Southern style mantis uses an index knuckle punch (called a phoenix-eye fist in other styles). Perhaps that is what you saw referenced.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Randy Strausbaugh
Southern style mantis uses an index knuckle punch (called a phoenix-eye fist in other styles). Perhaps that is what you saw referenced.

Good point, I just assumed he ment and end of the finger strike, but this could very well be what he ment.

7sm

OP
P

Praying-Mantis

Hello People,

Thank You for the answers.

I ment a strike with the end of the finger, by the way.

Latest Discussions