Question about kicks.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Flexing the knee and bringing the kick up more to the center before pivoting (your supporting foot is turned before you kick, which also telegraphs the kick) makes it more difficult to determine exactly what kick you're throwing. The longer it takes to figure out, the faster your kick is, effectively.
(...)
I'm telling you how a roundhouse should be done by Taekwondo standards. There are differences between systems...
I was teached this way. Saenchai (Muay Thai) does that way.
But, strangely to me, a lot of professional kickboxers and MMA fighters do it differently. So I have to admit that they know what they are doing and maybe there are different advantages and disadvantages of each one, regardless of the style. And I admit the way we advocate is not the easiest delivering power...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was teached this way. Saenchai (Muay Thai) does that way.
But, strangely to me, a lot of professional kickboxers and MMA fighters do it differently. So I have to admit that they know what they are doing and maybe there are different advantages and disadvantages of each one, regardless of the style. And I admit the way we advocate is not the easiest delivering power...
Saenchai does use the kick as you describe however it is but one of his specialty kicks that he uses after setting up his opponents with the 'te tat' the basic thai roundhouse kick, the 'te chiang' the diagonal kick, or the 'te kot' the down roundhouse kick.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes ma'am. I can still get the higher kicks in... every once in a while but the down kick is simple and effective with my torn up knees.

Ah yes, that's my problem, the knees still I had a lot of fun on the way to ruining them lol.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hi

This video shows me doing a few right and left kicks. Can you guys tell give me some advise?
I think im doing something wrong, especially with the left kick because i kick less harder with it.

When i train, i always do the left and the right kicks the same amount of times.
OK, two things: If you are doing a Muay Thai straight leg thing, your body should actively be able to throw a right cross, to the guy standing next to your opponent, or at least, you go through that motion; Secondly, if you are doing a regular old round house kick, lead with your knee, like you are kicking something, with your knee. o_O

Kenpoguy123

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I can't comment on Muay Thai kicks but from I can see your to close to the bag. Get your range. kicks are long range weapons and your knees and elbows are short ranged weapons. If you want power don't stop at the back try and kick through the bag

Latest Discussions