Question about DRAJJ & breakfalling

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm reading Certa's Aikibudo book.

In it, Takeda Takimune is quoted as saying there is no ukemi in DRAJJ.

So my question is,

How is throwing trained in DRAJJ?

Do DRAJJ practitioners only do what we call "fits," that is, incomplete throws - pick them up, set them back down?

It seems he looks down on Jigaro Kano's invention of breakfalling and mats.

Personally, I think breakfalling and mats were a GREAT idea: now we can practice a full motion without injuring our partners!

Furthermore, I believe falling to be great training in that it "firms up" the inner organs and connective tissues, in addition to training the body in a technique that is useful in reducing injuries from accidental falls.

In training throws, we understand that in the event of a combat situation, we can, and in serious conflicts SHOULD, drop our opponent in a way that is likely to cause them injury as opposed to a breakfalling position.

Anybody with DRAJJ experience care to fill me in on DRAJJ's method of training throwing techniques?

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
While I don't think you can credit Kano Sensei for inventing mats and breakfalls, I think learning how to fall correctly to avoid injury is probably the best skill anyone can learn. Honestly, I can't think of a "martial" skill more useful than that.

OP
zDom

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tokimune is the one, according to Certa, who said Kano "invented" ukemi and the mats.

Haven't really looked into trying to verify that.

At this point, trying to find out if DRAJJ really practiced throwing without ukemi! On another forum it was pointed out that there are plenty of videos showing (modern?) DRAJJ using ukemi during training...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well falling is the single most important aspect of any judo, aikido, hapkido, jiujitsu students cirriculum. If they don't think so then they will have a short martial art career.

It is a wonder as to how full circle throwing would be practiced if the uke is not landing. The "Roll out is a japanese over korean kind of thing." Mr. Beard taught falling the way that GGM Park taught everyone else. However, when I studied and competed in the Marines and beyond with other judoka they preferred the more "roll out style" than the ways we study at MSK zDom.