Quality dan bong - Where to buy?

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anyone who knows a place to buy a nice dan bong? So far I have only used a homemade one, but it looks a bit rough. Ideally, I would want one with Hapkido embossed into it in hangul. :)

OP
C

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been looking at the ones Canemasters offer for 29.95$. I see that they also offer laser engraving. I have also looked a bit at the ones offered by the International Hapkido Federation. The IHA one look a bit thicker and shorter, which I believe is more in line with how the weapon looked traditionally. Anyone who has any experiences with either, and wants to share?

OP
C

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Wow, isn't anyone training with dan bongs here, or something? Anyway, I ended up buying the one for IHA, as they had the lowest shipping.

PWilliams-HKD

White Belt
Reaction score
Sangmoosausa.com
TAEKIDB-main.jpg

DAN BONG-STICK 12′
$6.99

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow, isn't anyone training with dan bongs here, or something? Anyway, I ended up buying the one for IHA, as they had the lowest shipping.

When I train, I sometimes do, yes. I think the one from Canemasters will be OK, or the one from Sangmoosausa. The one from The one from IHF seems a little short and two big around, but that could be the way they depicted it, not how it actually looks. It should be a hard wood since among many other things, it is used to defend against the sword.

Interesting how different schools/kwans train. In the Hapkido I learned, there was a lot of defense with the dan bon between 1st and 2nd dan. Between 2nd and 3rd dan there is more dan bon than anything else it seems.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Honestly, I've only seen people use homemade ones.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Honestly, I've only seen people use homemade ones.

When I was in Korea my GM got mine for me. He told me it was made from the hardest wood in Korea. He said the old GM could tell the hardness of the wood by sticking the tip of their tongue on it.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I went to college with a guy named Dan who used to make his own homemade bongs all the time. He was pretty creative. I didn't use them, but they looked quite interesting, from an ingenuity standpoint. I'll ask around to see if he's still at it (that was about 20 years ago, and we weren't that close).

Wait a minute... I just realized what he was making and what you guys are talking about aren't the same thing :)

Latest Discussions