Qigong / Chi_Kung

shifu

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Who here practices or utilises Qigong / Chi-Kung in that of their martial or healing arts?

If so, how do you apply this practice to your art or healing aspects?

Does Qigong / Chi-Kung have any relevance to the martial arts if so why?, if not, why?

As always, interested in your thoughts.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
i've had plenty of experience with cma as a youngster in canada. i had some great friends that introduced me to many aspects of chinese culture, including food, writing, abacus, chigung. i got into martial arts in a major way and was starting to take a liking to ninjutsu and japanese sword arts but generally like most martial arts and was open.

i trained much. i achieved many childhood goals like doing the splits, pulling off various flips on the floor and off surfaces-i also was into breakdancing and would also watch breakers from japan or korea.

when i moved to europe at age 17, i was physically stronger than i am now and my flexibility was good.
thing is i never practiced much anymore. i started going out and smoking. except for some occasional running after busses, freestyling climbing or showing off or getting in fights, my lifestyle was not that great for martial arts. even visiting japan i never practiced more than one kendo lesson.
my physical state was deteriorating. however, it wasnt only deteriorating, it was solidifying. the forms i chose when young because of certain injuries and trying to achieve maximum power and speed- actually, the only form i could use because of the injuries. also i had this reoccuring injury right knee ligament practically the whole time...it kept flaring up every time i overexerted or over stretched.

when i had become, i think 26 or something like that, i realized that i was in bad shape...i decided to take up takedabudo just for fun because i was not only in bad physical shape, but i also was in bad life and mental state.

at some point i decided to go and heal the inconsistencies in my body. i started by practicing seiza correctly and trained every ligament from the toes upwards. fortunately i learned much about spirituality and had a great accupuncturist to also give me some tips.
I TELL YOU IT'S A DAMN MIRACLE! not only have i completely healed the knee ligament thing(it is nonexistant)! i have achieved greater physical and mental strength by training taichi. -

personally, i think that although it was a fluke because of the injuries sustained and because i wasnt fully concious. however, i think it is an actual technique- i think ive made a discovery- actually i hope to be able to write it down or tell someone before i die-
also i am even considering contacting that dude who put up a milliondollar challenge to proof of paranormal. -then again, i tell myself, wait and train more maybe i can achieve much greater more noticable things

so what is chigung for me it is zazen, seitai iaijutsu,battojutsu, wizardry,focus on the tanden,posture as well as focus of power

still my feet are not perfect and there are a few kinks. i have to work hard. it took me more than 10 years to fall into the hole, it's been taking me more than 5 getting out- and i still have much to go-
it's like every time i train some, i get stronger- im amazed-and believe me, it's a power that im having to get used to because i never had being a more sensitive not strong person by nature-now i feel like im starting to glow

at the point where i was out of martial arts and getting back into it at around twentysomething, i didnt even really know or remember what chigung was. taichi yes. now it's the other way around.

Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Who here practices or utilises Qigong / Chi-Kung in that of their martial or healing arts?

Does Qigong / Chi-Kung have any relevance to the martial arts if so why?, if not, why?

This is a BIG pet peeve of mine and I am basing this on Mandarin not Cantonese so it may be different in Cantonese and I apologize at the very beginning

But it is Qigong not Chi Kung. Chi Kung to me translates to eat hard.

I do not do qigong for healing but I do believe the qigong I have done has had the side effect of helping me heal multiple injuries faster.

The CMAs I do are internal Taijiquan and Xingyiquan so yes there is a qigong aspect of both. And I feel that it is very relevant in helping me understand my body, and the use of internal energy for movement and body alignment as well as root.

bowser666

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I practice Qigong at my school and I find that it helps me regulate my breathing while training my internal power. I do feel that I can strike harder and more accurate when focusing my mind. TO me the most important aspect is my breathing though.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
QiGong (or Chi Kung, or Chi Gung, or in good old english 'energy practice') is an integral part the martial arts I do. Without energy, martial practice is not vital, or lifeless. Without conscious development of your energy in the patterns that are characteristic of your particular style, your art will stagnate.

QiGong is a very generic term for many different things. Basically, there is martial, medical, scholarly, and spiritual qigong practices. Within each broad category are sub-cats (ie, soft martial, hard martial, breath work, meditative, standing, sitting, walking, etc.)

The qigongs I practice and teach are associated with the martial styles that i practice and teach. They develop the physical and energetic qualities that serve as the foundation for the martial art.

Any 'Healing' benefits are by-product of the martial training. The theory goes that the same practice that improves and extends one's fighting style will also improve and extend one's overall life/wellness.

pete

Formosa Neijia

Green Belt
Reaction score
I do for both.

Very carefully.

Of course it does.

Was there something more specific you're wanting to discuss? Other than something you could get out of every book on the subject?

Phoenix44

Master of Arts
Reaction score
My 16 yo son uses "energy work" or meditative practice for a variety of conditions. Seems to work especially well for his fingers which get ice cold and white as soon as it gets a little cool outside.

Latest Discussions