Pyongyang Warns of Nuclear War due to S.Korea & US Provocation

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tick-Tock-Tick-Tock…?

North Korea says it is informing the United Nations of an imminent nuclear war on the Korean peninsula due to provocations from Washington and Seoul.

In reaction to the comments, Pentagon spokesman George Little said that, “We are concerned by any threat raised by the North Koreans,” adding, “We take everything they say and everything they do very seriously. They need to stop threatening peace -- that doesn’t help anyone.”

On March 11, Seoul and Washington launched a week-long annual joint military maneuver near the Korean Peninsula despite warnings from Pyongyang. The maneuver involved 10,000 South Korean soldiers and about 3,000 US troops.

Full Article: http://www.presstv.ir/detail/2013/03/27/295354/n-korea-warns-of-imminent-nuclear-war/

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Here is the thing, at this point Kim Jong-un has to do something or lose all his support at home. Does it have to be Nuclear? Well no, but he has to do something militarily at this point. That is unless someone, other than him, blinks.

OP
celtic_crippler

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
I would think announcing an imminent attack to the UN would not be in his best interest if that were indeed what he planned... But then, who knows what goes on in the head of someone who grew up being told he was a "god" his entire life.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Am i alone in thinking that the backlash against NK actually doing anything would outweigh the benefits of them actually doing anything? Or am i missing something?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
The US and Korea used to have a yearly joint military training exercise called Team Spirit. Once while I was there, they changed the orientation of the exercise from north/south, to east/west, to prevent NK from claiming the exercise would be a jump off point for an attack on NK. The Team Spirit exercises went on for years. I don't know if this one is the same or not. Every year, NK would make claims they were about to be attacked. They would place their military on alert for the exercise. The only difference now is the claim of use of nuclear weapons. An escalation for sure, but as mentioned above, Kim Jong Un is new, and may feel the need to impress his generals and other officers of his worthyness to rule.

The problem is that he may back himself into a corner where he has to do something, and still remain in control of the entire military. That could be quite a juggling act. I don't think he would sanction the use of nuclear weapons if he were able, and that is in question. But I would not be surprised to see an attack on a Korean island or small warship, or something else of that nature. Not enough for us or even SK to go to war in retaliation, but a good face saver.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
He clearly couldn't win a war--his people would desert him like the Iraqis in 2003--but he could sure cause some damage first.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
NK get's spun up every year when it comes time for the annual Team Spirit exercise. When I was stationed there they put everyone on heightened alert for a little bit then backed off. I don't think too much about it. NK likes to bark every once in awhile to make themselves seem relevent. Could they cause some initial damage sure, but I don't honestly think they could maintain any sort of offense or defend themselves militarily for any length of time.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
NK get's spun up every year when it comes time for the annual Team Spirit exercise. When I was stationed there they put everyone on heightened alert for a little bit then backed off. I don't think too much about it. NK likes to bark every once in awhile to make themselves seem relevent. Could they cause some initial damage sure, but I don't honestly think they could maintain any sort of offense or defend themselves militarily for any length of time.

Add to that China did not even back them at the UN last time so...

Latest Discussions