Purple Belt

N

Nate_Hoopes

Hi All. I got my purple belt last night. I'm very excited, I love all the new katas and challenges that each belt level throws at you :D

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

The test was straight forward, I had to do Short #1, Long #1, and Short #2 from the tracy system, Plus all the techniques and variations for the purple belt level. if youre curious as to what they are you can see the list from yellow to 5th black here. http://www.tracyskarate.com/beltsystem_Folder/beltreq.htm feels good to have some new colors.

OP
K

Kirk

Out of Short #1, Long #1, and Short #2, which one to you
was most difficult to learn? Which was easiest? What's your
favorite?

Are the tracy forms the same as AK forms?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Nate_Hoopes
if youre curious as to what they are you can see the list from yellow to 5th black here. http://www.tracyskarate.com/beltsystem_Folder/beltreq.htm

Seems like a lot of techniques! Are you allowed to start learning the techniques from a higher belt before you get the previous belt or do you have 30 new techniques and two new kata to learn now?

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

Long number one was the hardest to learn but also my favorite, and the name says it all as to why it was the hardest, the word long, short #2 was the easiest for me to learn so far, mainly because i had already learned long #1 and short #1 before i started learning short #2, made it easier by the time i got there, short #2 technique and movement wise is a harder kata, but was easier to learn because i was more prepared for it that i was short#1, I love the new katas i get to learn, so far they are my favorite part. as far as tracy vs parker forms, most of the tracy forms are different, I believe you guys learn the "book set" (cant be sure here) we also learn book set to get out green belt. we also both learn 2 person set. which i believe you guys also learn. outside that i think they are all different.

donald

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nate,
Actually you (Tracy's students) guys learn more weapons forms.
Some Parker system schools do teach the older forms, Book Set etc., but for the most part. I think the Parker system studios have dropped that, and most (mass attack) of the older forms. The replacement forms. If I may be permitted to call them that. Are I believe the Coordination Sets, the Stance Sets, etc.. The empty hand forms, L1,L2, etc.,etc.,although very similar. In application can appear very different, angle of excution, and so on. For example I was taught in a Tracy studio, but under a guy who had blended techniques etc., with Parker application. It was different enough that when I went to train at another Tracy studio. When we (the new instructor,and I) began working L3, the Tracy way I was preety much lost. All in all though I think we have more simularities than differences, i.e. can be one tough system to learn, and one tough system to defend against!!!
May The Living God bless you, and yours,
An Old Student :wavey:

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

We dont learn any new techniques until we reach a certain belt level, I now basically have to start from square one for the next belt, 2 new katas, 30 new techniques, I rather like it this way, each belt level contains similar level moves and the katas are about relative to the difficulty of the techniques, so by the time your starting to understand your concepts and things are starting to get easier, you get your new belt and move on to a whole new level of techniques. I have my first lesson for blue belt on wednesday, Ill mostlikely start learning my first new form and one or 2 of the new self defense techniques, thats how it usually goes. I cant wait.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

For most students Short form one is hardest to learn. Since they have never done anything like it before the frist forms is in a sense the hardest to learn. Long one should not be much of a challenge, it is just short one with punches, the short one the other way with triple blocks then a series of isolated blocking drills and punches. One a student can see the pattern of the first 2/3 then the form becomes just an extension on Short Form 1.

OP
N

Nate_Hoopes

I think short one was a bit different for me, i didnt learn short one so to speak i memorized short one, and it just and still does feel empty, long one with the punches makes me feel the form, short one was fairly easy, long one although the same in relative pattern, was much harder for me to pickup. I love the katas though, was actually trying to think of a way to learn the parker forms as well as the tracy forms. but right now ill just stick with the tracy forms.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Short one, Long one and Short two are the same for both Tracys and Parker. The only major difference is the stances. As someone who has studied both systems I would say stick with one style til Black Belt, then trya second style if you feel you are ready.

Latest Discussions