Punching without hand wraps?

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
never wrapped my hand ever
I do not fight professionally so I have no need. I learned how to hit with a bare fist. I trained on heavy bags, makawawa, and on other such things. You start light and work up to heavy /hard.
As had been said before if your going to wrap your hands go to a boxing gym or a professional and learn how to do it correctly
Same here.
I've heard a criticism about hand wraps. Apparently, some boxers and mma people get so used to hand wraps that they forget about good fist alignment when they get in real altercations, and end up breaking their wrists. I once heard this criticism from Bas Rutten on Joe Rogan's podcast.
I've never done hand wraps. I own a few pairs of bag gloves, but I never liked them. There is something so be said about the extra training one gets from having your hands slightly weighted though. You feel pretty spry when you take the gloves off. For me though, I prefer to hit the bag without them. It feels harder to do anything that isn't boxing or muay thai. Backfists, methods of blocking, and forget about palms entirely. I've been thinking about picking them back up just for the extra resistance.
I might being talking different if I had a different bag material. It's not vinyl. Outside of learning good fist alignment, I've never had a problem punching the bag as hard as I can.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard a criticism about hand wraps. Apparently, some boxers and mma people get so used to hand wraps that they forget about good fist alignment when they get in real altercations, and end up breaking their wrists. I once heard this criticism from Bas Rutten on Joe Rogan's podcast.

I had that once with a heavy bag. I have to admit that I did start with gloves, but left the wraps. I was told that the gloves would help the body, in this case the hands sorry, start to remember different healing methods. IE slapping the skin a little and the glove rub would help. I like to think that it is not a myth, seems plausible. Eventually though I dispensed with them and went bare handed. One day though I screwed up and hit the bag in anger. Lost the alignment and chipped a bone in my wrist. I hit at a very wide angle, but stepped into the bag so ended up with a weak positioned hand. Quite lucky, but a future bike spill, broke the wrist. Karma I guess :)

Last edited:

Orange Lightning

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I had that once with a heavy bag. I have to admit that I did start with gloves, but left the wraps. I was told that the gloves would help the body, in this case the hands sorry, start to remember different healing methods. IE slapping the skin a little and the glove rub would help. I like to think that it is not a myth, seems plausible. Eventually though I dispensed with them and went bare handed. One day though I screwed up and hit the bag in anger. Lost the alignment and chipped a bone in my wrist. I hit at a very wide angle, but stepped into the bag so ended up with a weak positioned hand. Quite lucky, but a future bike spill, broke the wrist. Karma I guess :)
You chipped a bone in your wrist?! Dam dude. :panda:
I can see how that happened. It's easier to have this problem punching with your front hand while advancing. When I first tried JKD's leading straight against a bag, I felt how much harder it was to keep alignment when advancing, particularly in midstep. I started by modifying it into a sort far reaching hook, just so there wasn't so much chance to put all my body weight into a bad alignment. I got used to it that way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You chipped a bone in your wrist?! Dam dude. :panda:
I can see how that happened. It's easier to have this problem punching with your front hand while advancing. When I first tried JKD's leading straight against a bag, I felt how much harder it was to keep alignment when advancing, particularly in midstep. I started by modifying it into a sort far reaching hook, just so there wasn't so much chance to put all my body weight into a bad alignment. I got used to it that way.

Yeah but I got away with it really. Losing your temper breaks bones kind of thing. I think a far reaching hook, would be more of a cross hook :)

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do wrap my hands because of my years of boxing & I have week wrists & a day job that requires a lot of writing.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It depends what I'm hitting. If I'm hitting something fairly soft, like the wave master, I don't wrap. If I'm hitting a makiwara or a firm bag, then I wrap.

Sent from an old fashioned 300 baud acoustic modem by whistling into the handset. Not TapaTalk. Really.