Punching without hand wraps?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
It will to the doctor when you tell the doctor how you broke your hand, yes. :)
Well if I break my hand in the process of demlishing a guy trying to hurt me or my family than I suppose it's a fair trade. A broken hand is certainly possible defending yourself with a punch but I don't see what that has to do with mike Tyson specifically, many systems train punches.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. But it sound ridiculous.

The Tyson thing yes, but I believe TOD is referring to the streets as being a place where rules are somewhat different. No one will being taken to the ground with pretty moves. That means a very harsh lesson in who you are dealing with. Well at least that what I think he means :)

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Well if I break my hand in the process of demlishing a guy trying to hurt me or my family than I suppose it's a fair trade. A broken hand is certainly possible defending yourself with a punch but I don't see what that has to do with mike Tyson specifically, many systems train punches.
There are better ways to skin the cat, than breaking your hands on that first guy, because, now, his buddy sees you holding your hand. Tyson broke his hand, in his last famous street fight; so, it would follow he isn't a smart street fighter.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The bones in the hand and whether conditioned otherwise. Tyson has so much power with a glove. Different bare fisted. Different loads and that.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you broke a bone(s) in your hand in a fight, you will likely not know it until the fight is done.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I can't believe I have to defend not breaking our hands. :cool:
I can't believe you are using mike Tyson as evidence that you shouldn't throw a punch. Yes there could be more people, I could also draw a gun or blade, or laser beams, after ko-ing the first guy. Next thing you know you'll be bringing up the broken glass and aids needle covered ground should I end up grappling.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I do agree, if we have endurance pad work I always just use elbows, with light bare knuckle punching, I reckon I get about 20 hard hits over five munites before my wrist or bones on top of the hand start to feel weakened and technique starts to suffer.

I've seen many people break the bones, knuckles etc. in fights to think I'd do it in an encounter, maybe one or two to test the mettle of an opponent and get distance, than it's normally all on, and elbows would be my go to before it hit the floor.

Tyson, is not a good example thou.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do agree, if we have endurance pad work I always just use elbows, with light bare knuckle punching, I reckon I get about 20 hard hits over five munites before my wrist or bones on top of the hand start to feel weakened and technique starts to suffer.

I've seen many people break the bones, knuckles etc. in fights to think I'd do it in an encounter, maybe one or two to test the mettle of an opponent and get distance, than it's normally all on, and elbows would be my go to before it hit the floor.

Tyson, is not a good example thou.
You may have seen people break hands, I can't argue with your personal experience. I've seen a lot of punches thrown and the only broken hands resulted from idiots punching walls. Broken knuckles are a legit concern but look at the volume of arts that include punches, if it were so predetermined that punches lead to broken hands I'd think we'd see much less of them.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have seen people break hands, I can't argue with your personal experience. I've seen a lot of punches thrown and the only broken hands resulted from idiots punching walls. Broken knuckles are a legit concern but look at the volume of arts that include punches, if it were so predetermined that punches lead to broken hands I'd think we'd see much less of them.

Anecdotally,

I think I've seen it more when there is an experience gap between people fighting, or the intensity/agression.

Not all fights result in breaks I agree, it may be around the amount of intensity. An inexperienced fighter may make mistakes and hit hard parts of an opponent or bad technique going hard at it to compensate for lack of skill. Along with punching walls as a form of intimidation.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Punching walls in intimidation, no in conditioning. The former is just too stupid. Seen this myself :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agree, how many hand breakers do you see?

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agree, how many hand breakers do you see?
Actually happen? A few. In high school I remember more than few hormone fueled teens punching walls. It wasn't during a confrontation like jez described above, usually a kid upset with his parents or girlfriend. I also worked in the ER for a while and saw the occasional "boxer's fracture", usually it was teens punching objects other than people though.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You are trading one fisk for another on the basis one guy broke his hands.

I mean if we looked at kimbo slice and not mike Tyson. Then punching works fine on the streets.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Tyson thing yes, but I believe TOD is referring to the streets as being a place where rules are somewhat different. No one will being taken to the ground with pretty moves. That means a very harsh lesson in who you are dealing with. Well at least that what I think he means :)

In general, it's very easy for a decently trained person to take someone who's untrained down. And usually, toughguys in the streets are rarely trained. The big difference is, it's going to hurt the untrained guy a lot more, on the way down into the concrete with a slam than it will at the gym with the cushy mats. We have a raised platform with car tires underneath, then the platform then the super cushy mats, and it still not fun getting thrown. Plus, untrained people wouldn't know how to break fall, so they'll probably land on their head or neck.

A 1-1.5 year BJJ Blue Belt should be able to hurt someone pretty bad, if not KO them and end the fight, with a simple thrown or even just a double leg takedown with decent air and right into the concrete. Judokas are usually better with the throws.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In general, it's very easy for a decently trained person to take someone who's untrained down. And usually, toughguys in the streets are rarely trained. The big difference is, it's going to hurt the untrained guy a lot more, on the way down into the concrete with a slam than it will at the gym with the cushy mats. We have a raised platform with car tires underneath, then the platform then the super cushy mats, and it still not fun getting thrown. Plus, untrained people wouldn't know how to break fall, so they'll probably land on their head or neck.

A 1-1.5 year BJJ Blue Belt should be able to hurt someone pretty bad, if not KO them and end the fight, with a simple thrown or even just a double leg takedown with decent air and right into the concrete. Judokas are usually better with the throws.

Yeah maybe. Perhaps things would be sort of uncomplicated.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There are better ways to skin the cat, than breaking your hands on that first guy, because, now, his buddy sees you holding your hand. Tyson broke his hand, in his last famous street fight; so, it would follow he isn't a smart street fighter.

Well Tyson punches like a tank. The average person won't be able to punch that hard or hard enough to break their hand in a few punches like he did. But he also has another hand to kill you with. Tyson didn't fight some non-Fighter Martial Artist in the streets, he fought a Pro Boxer with like 15 wins by KO. So Mitch Greene, ain't no average guy in the street and that's probably why Tyson went in full power like that. Some non-fighter, Tyson wouldn't need to use that much power.

And to your comment about Tyson not being a "smart street fighter", well Tyson was a Juvenile Delinquent with THIRTY EIGHT ARRESTS by the age of 13, mostly for "petty crimes & fighting". He was in and out of Juvie, which some speculates that he's been through all the brutality, violence, including getting raped and raping of others, associated with Juvie Detention Centers. And outside of Juvie, he lived in the tough ghetto streets of NYC. So I doubt that what you said about Tyson is even remotely true. He's shown his animalistic side plenty of times during his interviews and proved it wasn't all a show when he not only bit Holyfield once, but twice, taking off a chunk of his ear. If anything, Tyson is this exact, bad to the bone, streetfighter/killer who most SD gyms romanticizes about when they do their training, but more so, Tyson became a highly trained, weapon/killer and the best in the world at it.

Lastly, when it comes to being conscious of breaking one's hands, real fighters are always weary of it. Even fighting just amateur MMA, I know the limitations of my hands (and other limbs) to a high degree. With 16oz gloves, we can go up to full power on each other and the bag during training, but even with 7oz MMA sparring gloves, we are very careful to not injure our hands nor break noses, etc. There's no way that Tyson is a dummy about this. But a broken hand wouldn't stop a Fighter, let alone the best Boxer of the world. An MMA fighter would still have the other hand, kicks, knees, elbows, headbutt, etc. And you can still punch with a broken hand, depending on the severity. Tyson certainly can still elbow, bite and even knee & kick. But his other good hand alone can easily kill the some non-Fighter/average Martial Artist, if he wanted to.

Latest Discussions