Punching without hand wraps?

BeeBrian

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Judo is my target right now, but in the unlikely event that I decide to travel to Brazil and fight in a Vale Tudo match, I would want to punch people with my bare fists.

So is it a good idea to train with a heavy bag without wraps? Perhaps if I do it with extra pre-cautions it'll be alright?

Or is it an absolute no-no?

Thanks in advance.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Judo is my target right now, but in the unlikely event that I decide to travel to Brazil and fight in a Vale Tudo match, I would want to punch people with my bare fists.

So is it a good idea to train with a heavy bag without wraps? Perhaps if I do it with extra pre-cautions it'll be alright?

Thanks in advance.

Go to a boxing gym. Speak to an instructor IMHO.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First, you should fly first class. It's the only way to fly to Brazil.

Bare fists, yes, that would be the way to go.

Second, do you know how to wrap your hands? Of course, once they're wrapped, they're no longer bare. That's always been a conundrum.

Extra pre-cautions. Always. Pre-cautions, post-cautions, all-cautions.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You can just build up to it. I do I minute rounds bare knuckle no problems. But if you are doing the ten or fifteen 3 minute rounds a day that it takes to be fight ready. Eventually you will do damage.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And just a video picked at random. But i have noticed this as a trend whenever i see anything on bare knuckle boxing.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never wrapped my hand ever
I do not fight professionally so I have no need. I learned how to hit with a bare fist. I trained on heavy bags, makawawa, and on other such things. You start light and work up to heavy /hard.
As had been said before if your going to wrap your hands go to a boxing gym or a professional and learn how to do it correctly

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Funny thing about hand wraps, never seen two trainers/fighters who do it exactly the same way.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use hand wraps, I use them to help protect all those little bones in my hand that I don't want to strain or break since I have a day job.

Just Google\you tube how to wrap, plenty of ways to do it. Just try them and use the one that feels right.

Some people prefer bare hands, others, wraps with 16oz gloves. Everyone will be different and everyone has different types of hands.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our fighters who we send out to Fairtex in Thailand come back with a new, to us, way to wrap hands, more thickness across the knuckles, we all tend to do it that way now. I can't stand having the wraps between my fingers so just wrap hands without, others of course do. I can use bags and pads without wraps or gloves, my knuckles after years of doing this are nicely flat lol but it just depends on what we are doing whether I wrap, wear gloves or nothing.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Bare knuckle fighting requires more accuracy than power. You wrap your hands because you are hitting too hard. Keep your whole hand loose, and just touch them with your first two knuckles. :)

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

I do both. Sometimes I'll go bare knuckle, and other times, I'll wear bag gloves. I do feel it is important to learn how to properly hit w/o anything on your hand, as odds are, if you're defending yourself, you're not going to have anything on your hands.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks in advance.

Are you going to mostly rely on your Judo for this Vale Tudo fight? Because that's damn ballsy if you're going to do this and have to ask a question about handwraps, which sounds like you're just starting on your striking. I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn, the Brazilians don't mess around. The main purpose for handwraps is mostly to protect the wrists when you make mistakes and it will somewhat protect from sprained wrists, especially on the heavy bag. Boxing gloves protects the knuckles mostly, especially skin from peeling off. Fighters train with protection in order to exert full power w/less chances of injuries, allowing continuous training and limiting down time due to injuries. Neither the little bones in the fingers nor the skin on your knuckles are not going to get conditioned fast enough, nor nearly at the same rate of your striking power that will improve significantly through technique, over time. I've yet to see anyone doing chopsocky bare hands all the time with a set of fully armored, calloused knuckles that won't bleed all over the punching bag. Maybe they just don't punch very hard, especially the ladies. There are 6 long bags at this one LA Fitness that I go to, and bare knuckles chopsockiers get on them once in a while and they don't punch anywhere nearly as hard as the Boxers w/gloves on. And we usually go 10+ rounds to their 1-3 rounds (usually) because I know their hands are hurting. Like Tyson breaks his hands in streetfights, but he punches like a tank.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Wrap your hands if you're doing any significant amount of work on a bag. It probably won't hurt while you do it, but it's going to build up. Why risk stress injuries for no reason.

Apart from that, if you really want to fight find a amateur MMA event near you and do that. The bare knuckle vale todo stuff is just asking for problems.

Combat sports are dangerous enough without ignoring the safety precautions that are in place for good reason. Wrap your hands, train with someone that knows what they are doing and compete in a legitimate and sanctioned event with properly trained officials, medicals and emergency teams on stand by.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to mostly rely on your Judo for this Vale Tudo fight? Because that's damn ballsy if you're going to do this and have to ask a question about handwraps, which sounds like you're just starting on your striking. I'm not trying to be a dick, but damn, the Brazilians don't mess around. The main purpose for handwraps is mostly to protect the wrists when you make mistakes and it will somewhat protect from sprained wrists, especially on the heavy bag. Boxing gloves protects the knuckles mostly, especially skin from peeling off. Fighters train with protection in order to exert full power w/less chances of injuries, allowing continuous training and limiting down time due to injuries. Neither the little bones in the fingers nor the skin on your knuckles are not going to get conditioned fast enough, nor nearly at the same rate of your striking power that will improve significantly through technique, over time. I've yet to see anyone doing chopsocky bare hands all the time with a set of fully armored, calloused knuckles that won't bleed all over the punching bag. Maybe they just don't punch very hard, especially the ladies. There are 6 long bags at this one LA Fitness that I go to, and bare knuckles chopsockiers get on them once in a while and they don't punch anywhere nearly as hard as the Boxers w/gloves on. And we usually go 10+ rounds to their 1-3 rounds (usually) because I know their hands are hurting. Like Tyson breaks his hands in streetfights, but he punches like a tank.

Seen plenty of people punch a heavy bag longer than what you stipulate.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
Tyson is a perfect example of what you should never do on the street, but always do in the ring. LOL
Yeah I wouldn't recommend training hard and developing enormous amounts of power and impeccable technique to help in a street fight, such a bad idea. Anyone could beat Tyson in the street.

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
To the OP, Vale Tudo's a great idea, if you're new to judo it's something you should really be worried about. I also recommend the underground kumite, I think it's in Indonesia.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah I wouldn't recommend training hard and developing enormous amounts of power and impeccable technique to help in a street fight, such a bad idea. Anyone could beat Tyson in the street.
No, funny guy, he beats himself. As you will, if you try that crap on the street.