Punching skill testing

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Let's have 1 minute per round.

- If A can punch on B's head (with any punch), A wins that round.
- If B can punch on A's head (with any punch), B wins that round.
- Test this for 5 rounds and decide the winner.

What's your opinion on this testing method?

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Too many concussions.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score

• Is it the first person to land a punch in the round? If so, I don't see the point of a 1 minute timer. The first and second rule can be simplified as well.
  • Is it any contact with the hand, or does there need to be a certain level of impact?
To me, this just seems to be a "first person to score 3 points" where scoring a point is "landing a hit on the head."

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
  • Is it the first person to land a punch in the round? If so, I don't see the point of a 1 minute timer. The first and second rule can be simplified as well.
  • Is it any contact with the hand, or does there need to be a certain level of impact?
To me, this just seems to be a "first person to score 3 points" where scoring a point is "landing a hit on the head."
- If in 1 minute that nobody can land a punch on opponent's head, that round is over. The result is 0-0.
- No rule here. You can do anything that you like such as grab, pull your opponent's arm, ... But only head punch (not body punch, not kick) is scored.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

I think of it like cooking. When a person wants to bake a cake, they don't say "test the eggs", "Test the sugar" What a cake really tells a person, is how well they can put a variety of ingredients together to create something better than the individual parts.

This is how I think skill set should be tested. How well can you put the individual skills together and make them bigger than what they are alone.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think of it like cooking. When a person wants to bake a cake, they don't say "test the eggs", "Test the sugar" What a cake really tells a person, is how well they can put a variety of ingredients together to create something better than the individual parts.

This is how I think skill set should be tested. How well can you put the individual skills together and make them bigger than what they are alone.
But you have to develop one tool at a time. If you add body punch or kick into it, students may not concentrate on head punch (and deal with head punch) enough.

I try to achieve the following 3 stages:

Defense - protect your head from punching.
Offense - punch your opponent's head.
Defense and offense - obtain clinch.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But you have to develop one tool at a time. If you add body punch or kick into it, students may not concentrate on head punch (and deal with head punch) enough.

I try to achieve the following 3 stages:

Defense - protect your head from punching.
Offense - punch your opponent's head.
Defense and offense - obtain clinch.
You can develop more than one tool at a time, when it comes to sparring. Yes there is a limit of things that a person can learn before that learning becomes degraded, but our brains are powerful enough to process more than one thing during sparring. The once punch stuff should be done as a drill. That would be similar to picking ingredients for a cake, where you get an idea of which ingredients (techniques) you want to use. Once sparring starts that person should be baking. Is your cake going to come out good or bad. It all depends on how well you can use the ingredients.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My main goal of this testing is to collect data - the percentage success/fail rate of A can obtain a successful clinch on B before B can land fist on A's head.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
We did a drill similar to this in a school I used to attend. A could punch B anywhere but only strikes to the head counted, B could only defend. If A hit B in the head A won that round, if not B won. After 1 minute switch. I think this was a pretty good drill for people who were new to sparring because they got used to getting hit and hitting people in a focused manner. A lot of people seem to have a hard time hitting people at first, especially in the face/head and this seemed to do a pretty good job of breaking down that inhibition. I'm not sure how valuable it would or wouldn't be for someone with a lot of sparring experience.

MetalBoar

Black Belt
Reaction score
My main goal of this testing is to collect data - the percentage success/fail rate of A can obtain a successful clinch on B before B can land fist on A's head.
I think this is interesting. I'd love to know if the people who are best at this are still the best with a test that counts more targets.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be a full powerful head shot.
I dont trust telling someone "hey try to punch my head, if you do you win!" And me trying to stop them, that the person wont get overexcited/committed and punch too hard. It seems like an unnecessary risk. Especially 5 times in a row.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I dont trust telling someone "hey try to punch my head, if you do you win!" And me trying to stop them, that the person wont get overexcited/committed and punch too hard. It seems like an unnecessary risk. Especially 5 times in a row.
We use gloves in this testing process.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are driving me crazy.. This should have been included in your original post.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You are driving me crazy.. This should have been included in your original post.
The problem is if I start to emphasize on "anti-striking" strategy during the early training stage, students may not want to develop their striking skill. IMO, one has to learn the striking skill first and learn the anti-striking skill later.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Missed this one-that's a different story. I'm assuming if you're just collecting data, you are not doing this weekly. In which case, I still wouldn't do it for safety concerns, but 5 years ago I would have been all for it.

Latest Discussions