Punch bag workout

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Turn your hips, followed by your shoulders, and move your head. Keep your elbows in tighter.

I’ve been meaning to record myself on the bag. I haven’t recorded it since last year. Then I’m going to figure out how to post it and keep the idiots and keyboard warriors from starting a race war and MA vs MMA war in the comments section. I’m sure there’s a way to disable them though.

Video is great in that it doesn’t lie. Thanks for putting yourself out there. It inspires me to join the crowd.

Edit: I was going to say more movement and follow through on your punches, but this could be from you waiting for the bag to return/stop moving so much.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Here's a video I made some time ago and posted on MT. Nothing interesting until the very end (7:17 or so), showing how I turn my hips before the punch. Notice I do not lead with my shoulders. I am far from an expert, but I believe my technique here is passable.

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Turn your hips, followed by your shoulders, and move your head. Keep your elbows in tighter.

I’ve been meaning to record myself on the bag. I haven’t recorded it since last year. Then I’m going to figure out how to post it and keep the idiots and keyboard warriors from starting a race war and MA vs MMA war in the comments section. I’m sure there’s a way to disable them though.

Video is great in that it doesn’t lie. Thanks for putting yourself out there. It inspires me to join the crowd.

Edit: I was going to say more movement and follow through on your punches, but this could be from you waiting for the bag to return/stop moving so much.
Yeah plus the fact I barely have any space to move lol

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Whenever someone posts it's always focused on the negatives so I'm not going to do that I'm actually going to say positive stuff. Nice sharp crisp punches and your obviously hitting the bag not pushing it. I'm assuming those are the 14 oz gloves you mentioned so you got yourself some good speed for wearing gloves heavier than what you're used to. Also obvious you don't have much room to work much but good job keep it up

OP
M

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score

You can make the video unlisted which is what I did. Which means no one can see it without the link so this video only this forum can see it because I posted it here you won't find it by searching for it on YouTube

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So did an early morning boxing workout. Thought I'd film it for review and thought I'd share here to. I know I can already see certain mistakes I'm making but hey here it is.

Breathe... To me it looks like you are holding your breath. It makes the body tense when you hold your breath. When you breath everything will become more powerful and less taxing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You just don't label it as anything anyone would want to look for.

Then nobody cares.

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
So did an early morning boxing workout. Thought I'd film it for review and thought I'd share here to. I know I can already see certain mistakes I'm making but hey here it is.

Arm technique not bad, a little short. As other have mentioned, you will get more power (and range)if you rotate on the hip more. Good stuff though!

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Turn the hips and shoulders more when you punch. Roughly:

Jab: No Rotation or rotation 15 degrees right
Cross: Rotation 45 degrees left
Left Hook: Rotation 45 Degrees right
Right Hook: Rotation 15 degrees left

These are just approximations but can be used as a reference for bag work.

Latest Discussions