Protocol mishap or fashion faux pas?

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Don't wear dobok or gi outside of dojo or dojang. Wear team jackets all the time.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I would not go out and eat in one, but mostly because I am sure I'd spill something on it that leaves stains.

I have gone to the store in full uniform once....the odd stares are not something I care to repeat tho.

The mat shoes would bother me more.

had a hard time trying to explain to one person why it is rather nasty when somebody walks around barefoot all day then comes to the dojang and has those nasty feet on the mat where the rest of us has to work out. Shoes are every bit as bad...
Then again I was raised that gym shoes where for the gym only, if you wore them on the street you had to scrub the soles before entering the gym, and I do not mean on the welcome mat either!

Out kids were often seen at the stores before or after class. The school had limited changing facilities so many came already in uniform, and then of course some parents had to fit in some errands.

But walking around with coach purses and BB club embroidered across the bum...
that reeks of showing off. :)

bugatabugata

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I usually wear the dobok to and from practice, because changing at the school is a hassle -- there's one small unisex bathroom, so going home to shower/change is the most convenient option. Yesterday had to pick up a couple of quick groceries on the way back and put a heavy winter jacket I had in the car over my uniform (even though it was in the mid 80s). It just feels awkward walking around in public in a dobok. I believe it's supposed to symbolize purity, so probably not the best outfit for picking up dogfood at the market/grabbing a quick burger...kwim?

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We go to the park and train, even had classes out in the parking lot of the dojo. Different surfaces to train on are beneficial for balance and keeping your footing while moving around. Other then that it is frowned on, and in poor taste, to wear your gi outside of the dojo, as taught to me by my sensei.
I also don't condone it.

Kinghercules

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Greetings, TKDin.

I was seated at a local restaurant which is situated very near a popular (and expensive) TKD school. We were wrapping up dessert when in walked two women (I'd say in their 40s) wearing their full dobaks and belts, carrying Coach purses and mat shoes. Ironically, the words "Black Belt Club" was emblazoned upon the lower rear panel of their dobaks (appearing as though on their butts).

Once seated, they arose again, walking all the way across the restaurant to view the dessert display case, and then back across to be seated where they ate their entire meals and eventually departed still wearing their uniforms.

I really thought virtually every martial art carried the protocol that you do not go out and about in your uniform, let alone *eat* in it!

Please know I'm not trying to start anything nasty, but I noticed that most of the people I see out and about in full uniform are usually from Tae Kwon Do schools! Since I train in a Korean art as well, I thought protocol such as this is native to the country of origin ... am I wrong here?

Do you and/or your students go out and about in your uniforms and belts? Eat in them???

Thanks!

But ppl on do that in a safe area or affluent neighbor hoods.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Do what, exactly?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...That actually hits a nail into My personal sense of humor. I suspect if I witnessed this, I would be crippled on the ground in laughter, and may require a mild sedative :D

Much as I like small children I cannot eat a whole one, seeing a gang of arrogant little brats is annoying at any time dressed in anything even in pants ie underwear lol!

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
For those who cite no locker room, or changing facility as an explanation for wearing their uniform while shopping or the like...

Is there some reason you can't wear a t-shirt or sweat shirt (appropriate to the weather), and then put the uniform top and belt on when you arrive? Then take it off again when you leave? Most women I know wear a t-shirt under the top anyway; so do many men. But even if you're not going to wear one underneath, it's easy to take it off and put the top on I'd think.

(By the way -- my club trains in a community center, and depending on the activities may only have a single restroom facility available. Most of us do something like I've described.)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those who cite no locker room, or changing facility as an explanation for wearing their uniform while shopping or the like...

Is there some reason you can't wear a t-shirt or sweat shirt (appropriate to the weather), and then put the uniform top and belt on when you arrive? Then take it off again when you leave? Most women I know wear a t-shirt under the top anyway; so do many men. But even if you're not going to wear one underneath, it's easy to take it off and put the top on I'd think.

(By the way -- my club trains in a community center, and depending on the activities may only have a single restroom facility available. Most of us do something like I've described.)

That's what our guys do. Easily enough done.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Translation: Please spank me again, I like being in the Time-Out Corner. Seriously, why don't you contribute to the topic or shut up.
He's not happy with me because I called him out on some questions of questionable motives because I care about the well-being of the board. If you think his post breaks the rules, please RTM, Legionary. Otherwise we debase ourselves.

I was out eating this one time, and in walked a group of freaky people. They were wearing weird outfits, talking in a strange language, they even smelled a bit funny. Silly little costumed stinkers they were. Reminded me of those Star Trek geeks who wear their "uniforms" when they go on "Away Missions" to Walmart.
I go to the gym, I work out, I shower and change and go back out in normal people clothes. I don't drive home in my stinky sweats.
I go to the school and train, I change into the schools uniform there, change back into normal people clothes and go home.
I go to the Trek cons, I put on my Klingonyness there, I change back into a 'mundane' when driving home down I 75.

Some people just use it as a fashion statement. They're idiots, in my opinion.

I really want to give the benefit of the doubt here and really want to know if TKDin are exempt from this. I wonder what high-ranking Korean masters would think or have to say.

OP
shesulsa

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ha ha ha! Remember this is an international forum, to read that you went out in pants in the UK means your underwear! Personally I at least get dressed before running out on errands ;-)

Ah. Well here, in the USA (and host country for the forum) we call underwear PANTIES ... you know, as in "little pants." What do you call the bottoms then? Slacks? Bottoms? I thought you all called underwear "knickers?" *giggle*

That particular piece of protocol does not exist to my knowledge. There is no significance to the dobok in Taekwondo that says it cannot be worn outside the training hall much like there is no significance to the black belt that says it shouldn't touch the floor.

I would not wear my dobok to lunch because I would be afraid to stain it and it cost me a fair amount of money. It also has some significance because I bought it for my black belt grading. I tend to run errands in at least the pants.

REALLY? Fascinating. And you are also with the Kodokan? My former teacher was with the Kodokan and he was responsible for teaching me much of my protocol. For clarity, which TKD federations are under the Kukkiwon? WTF? ITF? USTF?

Thanks.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
He's not happy with me because I called him out on some questions of questionable motives because I care about the well-being of the board. If you think his post breaks the rules, please RTM, Legionary. Otherwise we debase ourselves.

I really want to give the benefit of the doubt here and really want to know if TKDin are exempt from this. I wonder what high-ranking Korean masters would think or have to say.
well I can assure you that our GM would be livid if he saw one of his students parading around in their uniform outside the dojang. It seems to me its the big commercial clubs where it happens. If I go shopping on a saturday morning I could bet my house I will see heaps of kiids, and some adults, parading around the shops in their uniforms (covered in signage, flags, club names etc). It does seem to be prodominantly a tkd thing as I dont see nearly as many from other arts doing it.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
REALLY? Fascinating. And you are also with the Kodokan? My former teacher was with the Kodokan and he was responsible for teaching me much of my protocol. For clarity, which TKD federations are under the Kukkiwon? WTF? ITF? USTF?

Thanks.

The Kukkiwon is most clearly linked with WTF although the WTF is only a sport governing body and not a Taekwondo federation. ITF is, I guess, parallel to the Kukkiwon and not associated with KKW. USTF I have no idea, I live in Canada, but I believe they are an American branch of the WTF, that is to say a sport body like Taekwondo Canada.

As far as Judo goes, the rule I was taught was not to wear the Gi anywhere but back and forth to the Dojo. As I say this I picture 7 of us in the pan of a Ford pickup in France all wearing our Gi's on the way to a tournament. :) general consensus among Judo players I know seems to be that wearing the Gi back and forth is acceptable but lunch, errands etc. is not.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ah. Well here, in the USA (and host country for the forum) we call underwear PANTIES ... you know, as in "little pants." What do you call the bottoms then? Slacks? Bottoms? I thought you all called underwear "knickers?" *giggle*
I'm having a nightmare ... no, actually I'm awake and my imagination is in overdrive. Bill Mattocks, Seasoned, Elder and a few of the others over there running about in their panties. The guys in Aus wear undies or jocks.

Will someone please help me off the floor? I seem to have lost my strength. :lfao:

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

:grins: I can't believe that I'm stepping in to provide international 'translation' on this one :eek:.

Over here in Blighty, "pants" are indeed undergarments and the term can be applied to both male and female items. "Knickers" is only used for female undergarments and, in proper usage, refers to the more lacy and flamboyant styles as it is a contraction of "French knickers". An alternative term for male undergarments is "grippers" but that only applies to the tighter briefs rather than the looser jockey short type.

What American English terms "pants" are "trousers" in the true English :p.

As an aside, "pants" is also a colloquial term for "rubbish" or "substandard" :).

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think the OP's situation is just an example of what those people thought was okay where they were...could be dangerously clueless or could be a daily occurance--we can't tell.

Wearing a martial art uniform could invite trouble in some places because to some people it would invite challenge, but where I live it's common to see people in uniforms for a variety of sports--soccer and baseball players come to mind. People in biking clothing is not uncommon, as there are road routes nearby. I do agree with the basic value that it is appropriate not to advertise that one trains in skills of violence, but I don't think that is the purpose of most Taekwondoin where I am.

Although I wear my uniform the 12 blocks from my home to the dojang when driving, and sometimes stop at the local grocery on the way home, I never wear my belt. I've seen the same at tournaments; people ducking out to lunch in their doboks, usually without belts on. If I walk or ride my bike, I carry my uniform and belt in a pack.

If I was in any place other than home/local dojang or the immediate vicinity of a tournament, I would change on site. I prefer not to share my business with strangers.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do think that it is important not to get too 'precious' about the wearing of uniforms out in public. There are practical and social factors that come into play, most certainly, the most obvious, as has been mentioned by some earlier, being that to wear your kit out in a public place can invite unwanted attention.

At the end of the day, the garb we wear to practise our arts is simply the ordinary clothes of the culture and the period from which the art came. There is nothing mystical or ethical about wearing them.