Protective Tactics 101

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
I find it curious that it costs nearly $3000 bucks and the qualifications of Don are not listed anywhere. But maybe someone else knows this guy.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Here is another website by the same guy. It seems he is quite the entrepreneur:
About Don

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I found this system that teaches all sorts of protective tactics. Im wondering if its any good and if its worth investing in. The website is Don Johnson’s Protective Tactics 101

All I can do is offer personal opinion.

"Protect yourself and your loved ones with a simple, easy to use, step by step, abc, 123, solution."

In my opinion, there is no such thing. People will believe what they wish.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
There is a sales tactic where you get glowing endorsements, but don't really demonstrate any product. You then expect those who provide their email more likely to consummate the sale, or at least have already convinced themselves of the need for the product. Those are easier to manipulate. If not, well you still have their email to sell or use for your own bombardment of sales pitches.

Even so, he may be legitimate in all respects. But I am very surprised that no MA moves are made to show the superiority of his system.

PhotonGuy - have you found your MA not valuable?

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The linked website said:
Don is a nationally and internationally recognized speaker who has conducted hundreds of presentations.
The only mention of any qualifications on the site is the fact that he's made speeches. He doesn't even specify what the topic(s) of these "presentations" might have been.

BTW - that same page displays logos of a bunch of major media organizations, doubtless to create the impression that he has appeared on or been endorsed by those media. However, nothing on the site would indicate that this is actually the case.

The linked website said:
In “The One Move that Will Save Your Life” Don introduces his most important, proprietary and unique TACTIC, based on two universal success principals. This Tactic will not only save your life in the event of a physical assault, it will increase your Faith, improve your Health, better your Relationships, create Financial Freedom, and make you Happy, Healthy, Wealthy, and Wise.

This magical TACTIC will also allow you to fly, fart hundred dollar bills, and date the movie star or stars of your choice. He just ran out of room to mention those features.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
However, if you're looking to purchase the Brooklyn Bridge.....he's your guy.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let's see... He's a motivational speaker, mentor... his "protective tactics" will change your life in just 2 days, for just shy of $3000.

But he doesn't explain his qualifications, was using a holster with no apparent retention and a red gun (based on posts above, can he have a gun? Inquiring minds want to know), and promises to kick anyone out who he feels is "not a force for good." Or, y'know, like is in danger of making him look less impressive, maybe?

I would save your money. Too bad I can't get the time it's taken to review this back somehow...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I find it curious that it costs nearly $3000 bucks and the qualifications of Don are not listed anywhere. But maybe someone else knows this guy.
the only Don Johnson I know of is the one from the old TV series Miami Vice.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
fart hundred dollar bills, and date the movie star or stars of your choice.
In my best Peter Griffin voice. hmmm. Yes... Go on. tell me more about this magical farting.
142859-peter-griffin-go-on-meme-Imgur-VMLg.jpeg

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
$3000 is a bit much but I've met Don and I did attend one of his workshops and I learned some interesting stuff, different than anything I've learned elsewhere. He does wear a real gun during his workshops and when he's at his booth at an expo but for any kind of drill work he uses the red gun for obvious reasons. From some of the posts here and from some of the links provided he does sound a bit fishy but he still might teach some useful stuff. I couldn't see myself spending $3000 for the two day workshop but I still like to see his speeches and demonstrations at the expos.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
PhotonGuy - have you found your MA not valuable?
Of course I find my MA valuable but I can always learn more. And if you ask me its always good, after you've reached a certain level of proficiency in your primary art to explore other arts and styles and see what you can learn from them.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Just saw the some of his videos on facebook. Not feeling it. It's more for a person who doesn't want to take the time to train in a Martial arts, MMA, BJJ or whatever. Based on what I saw if you are taking your martial art seriously as a self defense and are training it as a self defense, then the class will be a waste of time and money. If you don't want to learn a Martial art or fighting system then the question would be can you truly learn and be conditioned enough to utilize what is being taught in his seminar.

I also don't like the self defense classes that show you what to do when a gun is pointed and resting on your head. I've had a gun pointed to my head twice in my life time and at no time was the gun making contact with my head. People who would point a gun at your head understand distance and the value of not getting too close where you can make a grab for the gun.

Pictures below are random pictures and not of the class.
This stuff is made for the movies it rarely happens on the street. A gun this close is more likely to happen in a hostage situation which at that time the police are there.
hqdefault.jpg

This is what most people get when it happens
ROBBERYCAMYOUTUBE.JPG

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I had to stop listening 5 seconds into the video on the main website page. No thank you! I have enough snake oil.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I had to stop listening 5 seconds into the video on the main website page. No thank you! I have enough snake oil.
I couldn't view the main website because my anti-virus program classifies it as a risky site that engages in suspicious behavior. I did watch some of the videos of them in action on vimeo and I actually like the attack scenarios which is a good idea. The videos are very telling on how important it is to know how to do basic kicks and punches. Many of them lacked those skill sets. The attacker was good, he threw them down hard on the ground and took some good hard swings at people. I didn't like when he gave up. He just kind of stopped attacking when he saw that he was too much for the student.

I saw one guy in there but most appear to be women. The guy didn't appear to know how to throw a proper punch or kick.

I bet in the waiver they have "simulated sexual assault" In this video you'll see the lady on the ground and it's difficult not to think that a BJJ or judo class would be more appropriate to deal with the scenario. For them they should either be taught BJJ or judo so they can properly learn how to deal with the mount or they should do everything they can to avoid someone mounting them. Especially if the attacker is significantly larger than victim.

This is probably the most telling. Things like turning the back are basic mistakes that beginners make which are often corrected in a martial arts class, but I don't hear it being corrected here. You can also see the fear they have even though it's a demo. A real attacker will only be encouraged by the fear that was displayed. It's one thing to be afraid and not let the attacker know it. It's something totally different when fear just takes control and spills out.

The truth about physical self-defense is that it's a fight. So it only makes sense to me that training to fight would be the best path to learning how to do that part of the self defense.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
The truth about physical self-defense is that it's a fight. So it only makes sense to me that training to fight would be the best path to learning how to do that part of the self defense.

You're partially right, but its also important to know that there is a big difference between sport fighting or fighting in a controlled environment vs a real self defense situation.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You're partially right, but its also important to know that there is a big difference between sport fighting or fighting in a controlled environment vs a real self defense situation.
Not really. You have to be in some kind of cardio vascular and muscular shape to do all 3 of those. Everyday people will tell you that they are out of shape for running, out of shape for tennis, out of shape for walking up stairs and out of shape for Martial Arts. Yet for some reason they can take a self-defense class and or watch a self-defense video and assume that they are in shape for physically fighting off an attacker. The option to run away only exist if you are fit enough to do it, and even then it's no guarantee that you'll outrun your attacker. Especially after you have been on the ground.

All 3 examples that you gave require effective striking, kicking, and grappling release. People who don't practice a sport don't make assumptions that they will be good in it. They will actually tell you that they aren't good in a sport because they don't train in it. However, many people who take a self-defense class make the assumption that a 1 week or 3 month course in self-defense is enough practice to be good enough to physically fight off an attacker with effective punches, effective kicks, and effective escapes.

Sports fighting is friendlier in comparison to an all out attack from some guy in the street that has the goal of doing the worse to you. In a sporting fight you can get knocked out in a fight and that will stop any additional physical assault on you. You can get knocked out by an attacker in a self-defense situation but that doesn't mean he or she will stop assaulting you. It doesn't mean that the attacker will walk away and leave you alone.

Here's a video that shows a boyfriend beating up his girlfriend. It's too far away to be graphic as in seeing the face actually being hit but you can see all of the elements that I usually talk about when discussing self-defense.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/video/news/video-1209022/Horrifying-CCTV-girl-beaten-pulp-thug-boyfriend.html

1. Running doesn't always work

2. Being on the ground is a bad place to be. If you think you are going to be hopeless on the ground then take BJJ or Judo or some kind of fighting grappling system
3. Kicks and punches have to be effective in order to be useful so learn how to do them correctly. Anything else is just hoping for a lucky strike.
4. You don't always have to outrun your attacker. As long as you can run fast enough to get something in between the attacker and yourself, this will increase your chances of escape and or survival
5. If you are in a physical fight then it means all non-physical self-defense methods have failed
6. Showing fear emboldens the attacker. It's o.k. to be afraid and have fear, but you have to control it. Don't let run out of control because then it will show in the body language. This is the same reason why people say don't show fear to animals. There was no way this guy could have physically defeated this bear, but his body language said something different.
A person may not be able to beat up their attacker, but everything about their body language and voice should show "if you mess with me, then I'm going to tear you up regardless if I defeat you or not" Animals understand this, not sure why many humans don't. Animals bluff all the time to make the predators think twice about messing with them. If I threaten to hit you and you run, then I know you are afraid. If I threaten you and your tone and body language gives me the impression that you are going to fight "tooth and nail", then I'm less likely to physically mess with you.

Latest Discussions