Proper Breathing

W

WilliamTLear

Originally posted by GouRonin

It's not my fault that Kenpo is fast becoming the north american version of TKD. I bet the koreans are cr@pping their pants hoping it doesn't spead over there.
:rolleyes:

Your just mad because there isn't a Kenpo school in your area that is willing to put up with your rebellious attitude and non-traditional ways. Jeeze, I wish I could go work out in a nurses uniform like you! :kiss:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
A sure sign of a good student is that they keep asking questions and seeking new insights!

Kenpo_Yahoo had some good pointers. Biggest thing I'd have to say is that there is an eccentric and concentric motion w/in any motion. Breathe out on the concentric (motions moving away from your body) and in on the eccentric (toward your torso) motions. THERE IS NO HARD and FAST RULE!!!! Golden rule of Kenpo= there is no golden rule of Kenpo!

Experience, trial and error.
#1: Don't restrict your breathing as it would restrict the blood flow (oxygen) to your brain and muscles, leading to antagonistic tension... making you fatique 10X faster.

#2: Breathe naturally. Kenpo movements should become natural and follow natural paths of action... so should the breathing that 'carries' them. If it is unnatural... it will fight you.

#3: Something my sensei taught me when I was a child.... concentrate on a spot 2 inches below your navel and breathe from there... put your mind there and your breath... makes a diffeference.

Talk to you later!
See you on ICQ

Your Brother & Instructor
John

ikenpo

Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by Brother John

#3: Something my sensei taught me when I was a child.... concentrate on a spot 2 inches below your navel and breathe from there... put your mind there and your breath... makes a diffeference.

I've heard that spot called the tan tien. My old Kenpo instructor (Mr. Michael Abedin), back in the mid 80's said it was where your life force is located. At the begining of class we would mediate and breath to that point.

Sigung LaBounty has updated his site and it has some info on breathing and the kiai.

www.thesigung.com

jb:asian:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
You said:
"where your life force is located."
Yes, according to esoteric thought the individual's life force emanates from this one point. In Yoga it is the point of life that one breathes through in order to 'bring in more life'. In almost every culture, breath is equated with life it's self. In Hebrew the word 'spirit' is Ruach, its the same word for wind or breath. In Greek gneuma means spirit and breath. In Hindu, prana means energy, life and breath. It's a very common thought. To the Chinese it is called the Tan-Tien, or 'lower furnace'... the 'heat' (aka; life) is churned and cultivated through the breath. This is the spot located roughly where I indicated before. In Japanese it is called the hara, and is said to be where the spirit (Kami, which also means wind) of an individual resides. This is the same as in the word 'hara-kiri', kiri meaning to cut and/or release, hara being the seat of the soul.

But it gets more basic than that for our use. If you like the esoteric stuff, great...run with it. But I'm talking here of it's practical application. To focus on the hara is to focus our attention on the pressure derived by the diaphram in its downward contraction. This contraction lowers the center of gravity, to aproximately the indicated area. In the martial arts we often speak of generating power with the hips. It is very effective. So if we concentrate on our 'hara', the point 1-2 inches below the navel, then we are:
1. Concentrating on our center of gravity to be sensitive to weight distribution, stability and power generation.
2. Being mindful or our breathing patterns.
3. Removing our 'attentive' mind off of the matter of fighting and toward a mundane foci (the hara). This serves to tap into our subconscious/ingrained reactions instead of relying on our slow and faltering ego/mind to 'choose'. The subconscious ACTS, our conscious mind 'chooses and decides'.

Something to think about!
Your Brother
John

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

You said:
"where your life force is located."
Yes, according to esoteric thought the individual's life force emanates from this one point. In Yoga it is the point of life that one breathes through in order to 'bring in more life'. In almost every culture, breath is equated with life it's self. In Hebrew the word 'spirit' is Ruach, its the same word for wind or breath. In Greek gneuma means spirit and breath. In Hindu, prana means energy, life and breath. It's a very common thought. To the Chinese it is called the Tan-Tien, or 'lower furnace'... the 'heat' (aka; life) is churned and cultivated through the breath. This is the spot located roughly where I indicated before. In Japanese it is called the hara, and is said to be where the spirit (Kami, which also means wind) of an individual resides. This is the same as in the word 'hara-kiri', kiri meaning to cut and/or release, hara being the seat of the soul.

But it gets more basic than that for our use. If you like the esoteric stuff, great...run with it. But I'm talking here of it's practical application. To focus on the hara is to focus our attention on the pressure derived by the diaphram in its downward contraction. This contraction lowers the center of gravity, to aproximately the indicated area. In the martial arts we often speak of generating power with the hips. It is very effective. So if we concentrate on our 'hara', the point 1-2 inches below the navel, then we are:
1. Concentrating on our center of gravity to be sensitive to weight distribution, stability and power generation.
2. Being mindful or our breathing patterns.
3. Removing our 'attentive' mind off of the matter of fighting and toward a mundane foci (the hara). This serves to tap into our subconscious/ingrained reactions instead of relying on our slow and faltering ego/mind to 'choose'. The subconscious ACTS, our conscious mind 'chooses and decides'.

Something to think about!
Your Brother
John

Hey, what happened to the funny stuff? There I am, scrolling down the page, getting a kick out of the Jr. High humor, and BAM! I get hit right between the eyes with Yoga/Hebrew/Hindu/Chinese/Japanese life-center philosophy.

Sean

ps-is there an 's' in Nietsche??

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's an old story, but a friend who attended confirmed:
At Harvard, in the building where most of the philosophy and theology courses are taught there is a mens bathroom toilet stall with these words etched/scratched onto the inside:
"God is Dead" Nietsche

lower down it reads
"Nietsche is Dead" God
:rofl:

I always liked that one!

Sorry to disapoint you Sean. Mayhap I should throw in a few fart jokes to keep you coming back. :toilclaw:

Your Brother
John

PS: For those of you that don't know (and that's most of you) Sean (Pheonix) and I are BEST friends. So we kid...

Also Also Wik:
"Burt Bakarach? There's no 'S' in Burt Bakarach!"
"But there is in Carol Bayasaga, Carol does the lyrics, Burt Just writes the tunes..."

"Waiter!!! This conversation isn't very good!"

Sean: we could keep them guessing for a long time.
You game?

mutha :viking3:

phoenix

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

PS: For those of you that don't know (and that's most of you) Sean (Pheonix) and I are BEST friends. So we kid...

Also Also Wik:
"Burt Bakarach? There's no 'S' in Burt Bakarach!"
"But there is in Carol Bayasaga, Carol does the lyrics, Burt Just writes the tunes..."

"Waiter!!! This conversation isn't very good!"

Sean: we could keep them guessing for a long time.
You game?

mutha :viking3: [/B]

Hawaiin cuisine in an authentic dungeon atmosphere!

W

warriorsage

What about the kind of breathing that I hear just about every kenpo senior doing, the kind that sounds like they are ripping or tearing something?? I've heard Ed Parker do it, Larry tatum, Paul Mills, Frank Trejo, Tim Bulot, and the list goes on and on. I've played with it and besides the fact that I sound so f'n cool like all the big guys, the only thing that I can tell is that it really compresses your exhalation. I almost get the feeling like I'm breathing in and out at the same time, like the aborigines who play the didjerydo. I realize this post may sound silly, but I really do wonder if anyone has heard of any benefits of this method.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have heard it too! My instructor picked it up from his (Mr. Mills) and uses it on me every chance he gets. It does many things for the practitioner... and I won't pretend to know them all, or even many. I know that it does help in generating and maintaining force thoughout a continuous flow of motion. It does sort of sound like a tearing, or like they have to clear their throat and hiss at the same time. The psychological effect of having it done on you is great, but it gets worse with time!!! The first time you hear it you kinda think "what the heck.." the split second before you really get smacked and smacked and whaked!!! Then you begin to hear it a second time....followed by the heat of the dragon, then again...
After a while I hear it and want to turn to run.
It also has a psychological effect on the one using it. Whenever Mr. Taylor does it and really rips off a 1000 strikes from as many angles and finishes... (if you wana call it that) its as though he now has more energy than when he began. Infact, I don't fear the technique that he uses it on nearly as much as I worry about the one that he does next.... with that energy that he just cultivated.
Spooky skill!
Working on it myself.
Your Brother
John
:bomb:

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
didjerydo????
didjerydo?????????
YOU actually used "didjerydo" in a sentence???

:roflmao:

...think I've got a new hero...

:boing1:
Your Brother
John..
...who has never played a didjerydo, yet.

Latest Discussions