Promotion stanrdards (Split from Is it disrespectful to ask [...])

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you been living under a rock? TKD black belt standards are infamously laxed.
Yeah and that's a big problem and why TKD has a crummy reputation among some people. That and the Olympics is what ruins it's reputation. I know taekwondos a great and i don't believe at all that all schools just hand them out but a number do and that's a very big problem

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yeah and that's a big problem and why TKD has a crummy reputation among some people. That and the Olympics is what ruins it's reputation. I know taekwondos a great and i don't believe at all that all schools just hand them out but a number do and that's a very big problem

It doesn't affect people who are legit. Reputations are irrelevant. I had my *** handed to me by a yellow belt Kickboxing champion. A yellow belt!! Wow, belts are really indicative, aren't they?

Stop fixating on belts.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
It doesn't affect people who are legit. Reputations are irrelevant. I had my *** handed to me by a yellow belt Kickboxing champion. A yellow belt!! Wow, belts are really indicative, aren't they?

Stop fixating on belts.
Belts /should/ mean ability that's what they should but not anymore because instructors are giving them out like chocolates at Christmas

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Belts /should/ mean ability that's what they should but not anymore because instructors are giving them out like chocolates at Christmas

Belts denote time spent in an art. Second dan entails 2 years spent since first dan. A third dan 3 years from the second dan. etc

It is assumed that this correlates with ability, but that is an oversimplification.

Last edited:

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Stop fixating on belts.

Should have used the jab

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Stop fixating on belts.
If there's a standard attached to a belt, it should be a minimum standard. Just because someone goes way over that minimum standard doesn't mean everyone nor anyone else should have to be at their level.

Just playing devil's advocate.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
If there's a standard attached to a belt, it should be a minimum standard. Just because someone goes way over that minimum standard doesn't mean everyone nor anyone else should have to be at their level.

Just playing devil's advocate.

The minimal standard that was reported to me was time spent. I found this was also only a general principle, since a dude will receive his black belt this year despite starting training with me 4 years ago, and the rule was black belt in 5 years. But he competed so maybe they want to reward that.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Belts denote time spent in an art. Second dan entails 2 years spent since first dan. A third dan 3 years from the second dan. etc

It is assumed that this correlates with ability, but that is an oversimplification.
That depends a lot on the art, organization, and school. A lot of them have issues with time spent being the only requirement. What if someone has spent all his time in an dojo, but only ever bothered with one kick? What about when one person trains 5 days a week, and someone else trains 1 day a week, do they both get their black belt after the same amount of time? It prevents the rank having any meaning, and if there is no meaning, what's the point of having ranks?

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
The minimal standard that was reported to me was time spent. I found this was also only a general principle, since a dude will receive his black belt this year despite starting training with me 4 years ago, and the rule was black belt in 5 years. But he competed so maybe they want to reward that.
after 1st dan yes you wait the set time but you still have to test for it until 5th dan. 5 years to get a black belt being a rule is dumb so if I keep turning up for 5 years but I suck I still get the belt. I'm sorry but that is just plain wrong in my eyes. It's about ability not time well that's what it's supposed to be anyway before mcdojo instructors started giving out black belts to keep students in the club

Last edited:

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
That depends a lot on the art, organization, and school. A lot of them have issues with time spent being the only requirement. What if someone has spent all his time in an dojo, but only ever bothered with one kick? What about when one person trains 5 days a week, and someone else trains 1 day a week, do they both get their black belt after the same amount of time? It prevents the rank having any meaning, and if there is no meaning, what's the point of having ranks?

Someone who partakes in a class could not possibly only bother with one kick. Time spent means just that. If you rarely show up in a year, you might not get an opportunity to get graded. If you show up once a week I don't think it affects anything though.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Agreed that would seriously piss me off if I train 5 days a week and a guy trains once a week and we get the belt the same time. That's bs why should I bother train 5 days a week if I'm still getting it anyway why bother training the 4 extra

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
You need to memorize the patterns of course, but supposing you do that the belt is yours.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that's a joke and it's a disgrace and seriously you know this is the case so answer this honestly when you get presented your black belt how do you know you're good enough for it how do you know you deserve it. I'm not saying if you're good or you're not but how do you know your a legitimate black belt if everyone who trains enough gets one.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Your stories change more times than the weather. First you said your instructor was a 9th perfectionist and all that now your instructor gives everyone who makes it 5 years a black belt.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well that's a joke and it's a disgrace and seriously you know this is the case so answer this honestly when you get presented your black belt how do you know you're good enough for it how do you know you deserve it. I'm not saying if you're good or you're not but how do you know your a legitimate black belt if everyone who trains enough gets one.

That's not the point. Point is I stuck with it for 5 years and did my best. It's a bit like getting a grade. You pass a test just as much with an E as an A.

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Your stories change more times than the weather. First you said your instructor was a 9th perfectionist and all that now your instructor gives everyone who makes it 5 years a black belt.

Perfectionist in class/training and in gradings are two separate things.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
That's not the point. Point is I stuck with it for 5 years and did my best. It's a bit like getting a grade. You pass a test just as much with an E as an A.
so to you a black belt is a participation award. You did your best I don't doubt it but some people's best just isn't good enough not everyone can be a black belt and that's fine. I know a guy who's a great guy, nice guy works his *** off every time but he's been a brown belt for 10 years and he knows he won't get to black belt he accepts he's not good enough but he doesn't care.

Yeah it's a pass but if you pass with an E and you have a maths test with a guy who gets an A who's going to get the better score?

If you go into someone's else's club wearing your participation belt and your doing your forms with a legit black belt your stuff is going to look a hell of a lot worse than his.

Look I get it everyone wants the quick route to black belt everyone wants it fast but do you really think your instructors doing you any favours giving it to you when you may not deserve it.

Last edited:

Axiom

Black Belt
Reaction score
Oh my god.,,,so to you a black belt is a participation award. You did your best I don't doubt it but some people's best just isn't good enough not everyone can be a black belt and that's fine. I know a guy who's a great guy, nice guy works his *** off every time but he's been a brown belt for 10 years and he knows he won't get to black belt he accepts he's not good enough but he doesn't care.

Yeah it's a pass but if you pass with an E and you have a maths test with a guy who gets an A who's going to get the better score?

If you go into someone's else's club wearing your participation belt and your doing your forms with a legit black belt your stuff is going to look a hell of a lot worse than his.

Look I get it everyone wants the quick route to black belt everyone wants it fast but do you really think your instructors doing you any favours giving it to you when you may not deserve it.

There are criterias for accurate form display (legs extended when kicking, for an example) and this I can of course confirm by myself, if I can do it or not.