Promoted himself to black belt.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
hey...there's nothing wrong with just being a jewel in the rough...
You are quite right, me friend.

bignick said:
Then why did you sell him the belt?
Steve, I just assumed that you are also running a supply area out of your dojang, is that not correct?

I went to the only martial arts supply store in the area and bought a second black belt (plain and unembroidered) to work out in and decided to keep my embroidered belt for special occasions like tests, seminars, etcetera. I'm not the only one to do this in my club.

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
supply store...oh, ok....got it

SS, that's a pretty common practice in my TKD school as well...my instructor has two or three belts...on is the first one he ever got with just the tape to mark degrees and the other one is his "dress" belt...

I've actually never met a judo or jujutsu instructor who has there degrees on their belt...of course of the judo ones above sixth dan mark it with the red and white belt...and those above 9th mark it with just a red belt...

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I don't know about kia, but I refuse to say pow upon strikes (my instructor wants everybody to)
Pow? POW?! They want you to say pow?!

:rofl:

I think perhaps someone has been watching too many old episodes of Batman.

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
I laugh too, inside. All I think about is Batman. I had a very nice argument about it and started a thread too. TW

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
TigerWoman said:
I laugh too, inside. All I think about is Batman. I had a very nice argument about it and started a thread too. TW
Yes, we tossed the subject around quite a bit!

Pow! Bang! Crash! Ka-POW! Ouch! Biff! Smash!

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
shesulsa said:
Yes, Steve, but you must remember that although you are a glorious beacon of light, Flatlander is a splendid one to behold.

All behold the splendid one!

You can get arrested for publicly displaying your spendidness for others to behold. That has never happened to me, though...and never will again.

As to why I sold the guy the belt--yes, I do run a store out of my school. There are 100,000 people in Bloomington. The University here has the largest martial arts program in the U.S. (so they claim), and at I.U. there are black belts from all over the world. There are six (or seven) commercial schools and mine is the only one selling supplies...I think.

Because of that, when we sell a black belt, we don't verify a person's credentials. A person could easily lie, and calling up his instructor to verify his claim to dan ranking wouldn't be worth the whopping $5.30 we charge for a belt. In this case, had we thought to ask, we might have told him to go elsewhere. He would have then ordered it out of Black Belt magazine.

At least this way I've identified another fraud and can "out" him to the community.

Regards,

Steve

Sarah

Senior Master
Reaction score
OMG Steve I laughed SOOOO hard at this, you are so funny!

hardheadjarhead said:
And now I am "a name known to all," thanks to green rep points you all gave me.

Everyone knows about my bacon beacon now, thanks in part to all of you. There's no hiding it, what with it shining and all. I guess the line from women now will be, "Is that a flashlight in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?"

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have fnially developed a couple of tecniques for my style. First you honk there nose.
Don't forget to say honk.
Second the Igo tyour nose
Grab there nose an dyou guessed it say I got your nose.
By then they will leave you alone as they will think you insane.
All else fails kick'em in there beacon and run.
Well know those three and I will sell you a black belt. But wait.
YOu go from white belt(pay me 35 dollars for that) 10 year contract(haven't figured that out yet for the cost). The second belt test will be fore your 3 degree after you leanr the first attack(costs 35 for the belt and umm couple hundred for the test) The second test is with the Igo tyour nose attack and that will get you your 5th degree. 10th with you 3rd tec.
Nto to worry though you can get your 11th degree belt in my system all you have to do is pay me umm $100.00.
Well who wants to sign up. I'm a 17th degree black belt. :uhyeah:

Zok is my favorite onimonopia.

5 hand swords

shesulsa said:
Yes, we tossed the subject around quite a bit!

Pow! Bang! Crash! Ka-POW! Ouch! Biff! Smash!
Ok sorry but Boof!
You got to list Boof! if you got Biff! on the list.

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sarah said:
OMG Steve I laughed SOOOO hard at this, you are so funny!

Thank you, Sarah.

What I don't generate with my own high levels of dopamine, I shamelessly rip off. In this case, I ripped off Mae West.

Regards,

Steve

9RingsSensei

Ok, this guy buying a black belt thing is crazy. No one should just train and beat up a punching bag in their garage, then go get a black belt for 5 bucks and be equaled to those who train for endless hours in a dojo, or school for 3-5 years. Now, Just to point out something about the make up your own style thing mentioned earlier, I have trained in numerous arts for the past ten years. I was trained privately by a Okinawan Goju-Shorei Instructor until I was brown belt level. it took about a year of 7 days a week training at his home dojo, in which I would train at after work everyday to AC/DC and other adrenaline boosting noises..LOL. Anyway, I moved away, and then went deeply into Jeet Kune Do training in Phoenix Arizona with a man who was certified by ted Wong in Jun Fan Kickboxing, and a tae kwon do 1st Dan as well. I got my closest friends together, and we made my house into a dojo. We would train, and fight all through the house day after day, along with our formal training. I then Took kenpo, judo, jujutsu, and kickboxing at a mixed MA school until I held brown belts in each one, and then studied under Nathan Ligo, the only american to ever be given a black belt by Mas Oyama in JApan before he died in Kyokushin/Budo kArate. ( As advertised in Black belt magazine, the 3 year live in program) So, I combined all the arts I ever studied and trained under, and formed a "collective " Style as I call it, and now that what I do. Even though I was never given A BLACK BELT by any school or teacher, my experience, and years of experience are equal to, and more extreme than a regular martial arts student. I trained every day, 5-10 hours for almost 5 years before I put on a black belt. The average time to train is 3 years in any school, training 2 or 3 times a week for an hour or so. But martial arts was an all day thing. My life. I hold the rank of 3rd degree black belt in My own collective style, in which is many styles I was formally taught, combine into one balanced system. I have been teaching for 4 years, and I have never lied or mislead my members. I have a dojo now in Pennsylvania, and it has been running for 1 1/2 years. Everyone who comes here loves what I do, and I get no complaints. But yes I created my own personal style form the systems I learned from legit instructors.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, that brings a few questions to mind. What have you named your style? You say you wear a 3rd black - from whom did you receive this accolade? I ask, not to be disrespectful, but to contextualize your response, and perhaps gain a better insight into the phenomenon of artistic re-organization.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
5 hand swords said:
Ok sorry but Boof!
You got to list Boof! if you got Biff! on the list.
ZOK! Gotta have ZOK!

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
bignick said:
aha....but you forgot about KABLOWEY and WHAM
Hey, I might try those next!

Maybe Wazzoo, too, like the sound of that, real gutteral-Wah Soooh. Probably get looks at a tournament - like what Korean word was that??? Impress the heck out of the judges. TW

TigerWoman

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
Well, that brings a few questions to mind. What have you named your style? You say you wear a 3rd black - from whom did you receive this accolade? I ask, not to be disrespectful, but to contextualize your response, and perhaps gain a better insight into the phenomenon of artistic re-organization.

That's four words in one sentence over twelve letters. So where were you when we did MA Scramble???? BTW what does that mean? TW

shesulsa

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I apologise for my extemporaneous obfuscation. :asian:
Where's the swear filter when you really need it???

Hey, if I have to pick up a dictionary more than twice in one post, I'm done for the day. What with Tess's promotional hullaballo and now this??? Whew - I need more than a cigarette - I think I need a nap and cabfare in the morning!

OP
hardheadjarhead

hardheadjarhead

Senior Master
Reaction score
Flatlander said:
I apologise for my extemporaneous obfuscation. :asian:

Hey, no problem. I get that myself occasionally when I eat cabbage or broccoli. Gotta drive with the windows open when the wife is in the car.

Regards,

Steve

Latest Discussions