Proficiency? Effort? Accomplishments? Spirit? What makes an MAist?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
For me, proficiency is the key. I used to do weights everyday, but given my small build, I was not "a bodybuilder".

To me, a tkd blackbelt who is not proficient (e.g., an older person who has no power, flexibility, or punching coordination) is not a martial artist in spite of the black belt. I'm sure others would disagree.
I'm one of them. I'm nearly 70. I hurt all over the place and I know I've lost flexibility. That doesn't stop me from trying to do the best that I can and more importantly, teaching my students to do the best they can.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
I believe Martial Arts and being a martial artist lies heavily on the importance of the "Art" side. I've seen people come and go who think they're the best because they have the natural talent to do high kicks or flips, but often times they seem to come with poor attitudes. the important thing to me is the art its self. We have art galleries everywhere, where people go to look and appreciate art. Buy, and sell art. people respect, and honor the artist and the same should be said for martial arts and martial artists. A good martial artist takes pride in his art. honors it, and appreciates it. He is tenacious and steadfast when it comes to preserving it. he also appreciates others art. He reveres and honors his teacher, and accepts the discipline and instructions given by his superiors for he is humble. If there were three words for a proper martial artist, I believe it would be pride, honor, and humility.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I believe Martial Arts and being a martial artist lies heavily on the importance of the "Art" side. I've seen people come and go who think they're the best because they have the natural talent to do high kicks or flips, but often times they seem to come with poor attitudes. the important thing to me is the art its self. We have art galleries everywhere, where people go to look and appreciate art. Buy, and sell art. people respect, and honor the artist and the same should be said for martial arts and martial artists. A good martial artist takes pride in his art. honors it, and appreciates it. He is tenacious and steadfast when it comes to preserving it. he also appreciates others art. He reveres and honors his teacher, and accepts the discipline and instructions given by his superiors for he is humble. If there were three words for a proper martial artist, I believe it would be pride, honor, and humility.
I don't agree with this interpretation of the term "art". MA is not for display and preservation. It is for use and adaptation.

That's my view. There are some whose aim - in some cases, their chief aim - is to preserve a style. IMO, that will inevitably cause the style to stagnate and become less effective over time.

Master-Theophylus

White Belt
Reaction score
I don't agree with this interpretation of the term "art". MA is not for display and preservation. It is for use and adaptation.

That's my view. There are some whose aim - in some cases, their chief aim - is to preserve a style. IMO, that will inevitably cause the style to stagnate and become less effective over time.

I think you misunderstand what I mean by preserving your art. You may learn from a specific curriculum but once you become a black belt, your art is your own. You know enough body mechanics, techniques, and motions to know which ones best suit you and your style over others. This is YOUR martial art. And it is displayed, while you are competing, while you are training, and while you are teaching. I do not mean to stay you have to be strict and unchanging about your curriculum, I mean to say that you have to be steadfast in preserving your martial arts. We've seen too many martial artists out there who no longer feel the need to practice or train once they become teachers. They slowly lose their skills and often times become arrogant. You know the type. Therefore we must always be mindful of our training. Being tenacious when it comes to learning and preserving our art; keeping it in the best condition possible.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
There are some whose aim - in some cases, their chief aim - is to preserve a style. IMO, that will inevitably cause the style to stagnate and become less effective over time.

Koryu arts.

They're not for everyone, myself included, but they definitely have their place. Like Mozart's music, I respect it. Doesn't mean I have to like it and listen to it though.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Koryu arts.

They're not for everyone, myself included, but they definitely have their place. Like Mozart's music, I respect it. Doesn't mean I have to like it and listen to it though.
Agreed. And I don't actually have a problem with someone preserving a MA as a window into that period of culture - like preserving a traditional dance. At some point in that progression, it ceases to have its original purpose.