Professor Feliciano "Kimo" Ferreira Seminar, Meriden CT, Jan 8th

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hello Brothers and Sisters,

Have not been here for bit so sorry for the short notice.

Just wanted to let you know that Professor Kimo, a great Kempo master will be at my school in Meriden (CT KEMPO and FITNESS) on Monday evening January 8th.
He will be teaching a children's seminar as well as an Adult one.

The Adult seminar is from 7:30 to 9:00PM and the cost is 30.00.

PM me or email me at [email protected] if you would like more information)
Everyone is welcome regardless of style. Just bring an open mind and a good attitude. ;-)

Peace and Happy New Year
Todd Guay
CT Kempo and Fitness
South Meriden, CT

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been to a few of his seminars. he is truly a great teacher and one
of the top kempo people we have out there today. anyone who can make this should go...
kosho

OP
C

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been to a few of his seminars. he is truly a great teacher and one
of the top kempo people we have out there today. anyone who can make this should go...
kosho

Thank you for the endorsement. Looking forward to 2 weeks of sore fingers after this... LOL

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello Todd,
I am going to jump in on your announcement. Prof. Kimo will be teaching at Dragon-Phoenix MA Lowell dojo, Tues. the 9th and Also Dragon-phoenix ma Natick school on the 10th. He will be at Cape Cod m.a. on thurs. I think all the locations may have a spot available but please call to find out.
Jesse Dwire
www.dpkempo.com

Matt

Black Belt
Reaction score
Does Professor Kimo teach Professor Chow kempo?

Seems like such a simple question, no?

The answer is no...and yes. No he doesn't teach Kara-Ho, you want GM Kuoha for that. No he doesn't teach Goshinjitsu Chinese Kempo as Master Bill Chun, Jr. does (quite well). However, he, like almost everybody teaching kempo out of Hawaii, owes a debt to Professor Chow. What Professor Kimo teaches is his interpretation of what he learned from a variety of sources. He wasn't a direct student of Chow, but references some techniques of Professor Chow, to provide historical context, but what he teaches is his own. You will see common elements of movement shared by Hawaiian kempo styles, but with a 'twist' that is sometimes literal.

Stop by one of the dates if you can. It's much easier to see than to explain. Essentially, he just teaches good kempo.

Matt

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like things worked out with my schedule, so aside from any last minute, unforeseen issues, I'll be there!!

Looking forward to it!!:ultracool

Mike

RevIV

Black Belt
Reaction score
Looks like things worked out with my schedule, so aside from any last minute, unforeseen issues, I'll be there!!

Looking forward to it!!:ultracool

Mike

It will be nice to meet you. I will be driving up that day to be at Sensei Todd's seminar as well. I am taking advantage of Prof. Kimo being in New England. I will be going to his seminars from monday to Wednesday. Just wish i could make it to Atlantic City like some of you other guys to see all the other seminars
In Peace,
Jesse

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It will be nice to meet you. I will be driving up that day to be at Sensei Todd's seminar as well. I am taking advantage of Prof. Kimo being in New England. I will be going to his seminars from monday to Wednesday. Just wish i could make it to Atlantic City like some of you other guys to see all the other seminars
In Peace,
Jesse

Sounds good! Looking forward to meeting you as well.

Mike

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Makes me wish I was not working 3rd shift. I wish I could be there but doubt my boss would aprove of my not getting to work that evening

OP
C

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! Who did he train with?

I believe his most direct teachings come from Walter Godin as well as the Emperado brothers. Jesse or Matt, please fell free to correct me if I am wrong.

Mike,
That is great news...

Jesse,
Glad you will be there on Monday evening. I'll send you communication via email.

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe his most direct teachings come from Walter Godin as well as the Emperado brothers. Jesse or Matt, please fell free to correct me if I am wrong.

Walter Godin and his chief instructor, Martin Buell, and a few others.
Neither of the "Emperado Brothers" were his teachers. Joe Emperado died in 1958, and Sijo Emperado did not meet Kimo until the Gathering of Eagles in 1999.

http://www.kempojutsu.net/history.html

http://www.worldblackbelt.com/Living_Legends/Ferreira_Kimo.asp

OP
C

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thanks for the info John. He mentions the Emperado brothers a lot in his seminars during Q&A times.

He probably has some very interesting stories about the brothers. Walter Godin was very close to Joe Emperado, and was good friends with Sijo until his (Godin's) passing.

OP
C

CTKempo Todd

Green Belt
Reaction score
He probably has some very interesting stories about the brothers. Walter Godin was very close to Joe Emperado, and was good friends with Sijo until his (Godin's) passing.

There's the link then and where I made my incorrect assumption. Thanks Johnand Happy new year.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The seminar was a blast!!:ultracool

This was my first time meeting Prof. Kimo, and I was really looking forward to it. He was a very humble man. Came around and introduced himself to everyone.

We began with various techniques off of punches and some grabs. Prof. was always walking around, making sure that we fully understood how to apply the technique and to answer any questions we had. I had the chance to be an uke for him while he demo'd some techniques. It was certainly an eye opening experience!

At the end of the seminar, we all sat down and had a Q&A session. It was nice to hear about his background and more about his art.

I also had the chance to meet and workout with Mr. Todd Guay and Mr. Jesse Dwire. It was nice to finally put a face with the name! Both were very friendly and a pleasure to work with.

After the seminar, Todd, Jesse, Prof. Kimo, his wife and myself went out to dinner. More good times and conversation followed!

Thanks Todd for putting together a fantastic seminar. It was great meeting everyone and I look forward to working out again in the future!:ultracool

Mike