Processing Kukkiwon Dan Certificates

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The KOMS program seems to be growing, I am glad to see the Kukkiwon is now acting directly to get school owners legitimate access to Kukkiwon Dan certifications. There has been a lot of shysty business going on with the Koreans and certain organization and associations that "processed" your application.
Which organization are your referring to when you say "processed" his application? Were you referring to a general sense of organizations or were you trying to pinpoint one in particular?

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I meant in general, like any state associations or other taekwondo membership affiliations that have promoted ties to the Kukkiwon for Dan certification, outside of USA Taekwondo (formerly USTU).

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I meant in general, like any state associations or other taekwondo membership affiliations that have promoted ties to the Kukkiwon for Dan certification, outside of USA Taekwondo (formerly USTU).
USTC was originally set to be one of the overseas direct connection to the KKW, to help provide direct access to dan certifications and other events up until the new management at the KKW kicked in and severed all legal binding contracts with organizations such as USTC. So I am not sure if this is what you are referring to as being shysty as there was nothing shysty about it. It was this relationship which help bring ITC and other courses over from Korea to here, courses which were shunned originally by USAT.

irgordon

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Well, I didn't know that. fact remains that the KOMS will be something better and more comprehensive on a global-scale.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I received an email letting me know that the USTC should be able to start processing Kukkwon Dan Certificates by April.

I haven't seen any of this but I can guess what's going on. USTC has probably signed or is is about to sign a Memorundum of Understanding with USTC, just like several regional and national taekwondo organization here in the U.S have already done. I think this could also be a sign that USTC and the Kukkiwon have come to some settlement in regards to the lawsuit USTC had filed against the Kukkiwon.
Orgs that have signed agreements with the Kukkiwon include the AAU Taekwondo, United States National Taekwondo Federation, and the California Unified Taekwondo Association. Under the agreements, those organizations pledge to work with the Kukkiwon in promoting taekwondo, agree never to issue their own dan certificates, host education and training programs with the Kukkiwon, etc. Among benefits for instructor members of the organizations is discounted Kukkiwon certification rates and easier access to Kukkiwon training opportunities.

Master Dan

Master Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Going to the USKKW LINK it still says suspended indefitely I assume you mean April of 2013??

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I haven't seen any of this but I can guess what's going on. USTC has probably signed or is is about to sign a Memorundum of Understanding with USTC, just like several regional and national taekwondo organization here in the U.S have already done. I think this could also be a sign that USTC and the Kukkiwon have come to some settlement in regards to the lawsuit USTC had filed against the Kukkiwon.
To be clear the KKWUS was to be the goto place for people like the AAU and USAT to process dan certifications under the KKW, instead of having to go directly to Korea. This is an old thread from 2010 which was revived recently. There has been not settlement to the dispute with KKW as of yet.

Orgs that have signed agreements with the Kukkiwon include the AAU Taekwondo, United States National Taekwondo Federation, and the California Unified Taekwondo Association. Under the agreements, those organizations pledge to work with the Kukkiwon in promoting taekwondo, agree never to issue their own dan certificates, host education and training programs with the Kukkiwon, etc. Among benefits for instructor members of the organizations is discounted Kukkiwon certification rates and easier access to Kukkiwon training opportunities.
The original design of all of this was to have an actual KKW branch in the US and other nations. While the KKWUS did share some of the same officers as the USTC, they were to be separate organizations. KKW established several of these types of agreements with other nations as well. They were contractually legal binding agreements between KKW and other orgs. When the new President of the KKW took over, he dismissed all contracts that was established by the previous leadership, even though he was urged from others within the KKW organization to honor said contracts. As the result, we are in this legal mess that USTC has tried to resolve amicably several times prior to having to finally take legal actions.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
To be clear the KKWUS was to be the goto place for people like the AAU and USAT to process dan certifications under the KKW, instead of having to go directly to Korea. This is an old thread from 2010 which was revived recently. There has been not settlement to the dispute with KKW as of yet.

The original design of all of this was to have an actual KKW branch in the US and other nations. While the KKWUS did share some of the same officers as the USTC, they were to be separate organizations. KKW established several of these types of agreements with other nations as well. They were contractually legal binding agreements between KKW and other orgs. When the new President of the KKW took over, he dismissed all contracts that was established by the previous leadership, even though he was urged from others within the KKW organization to honor said contracts. As the result, we are in this legal mess that USTC has tried to resolve amicably several times prior to having to finally take legal actions.

I didn't realize this was an old thread that's been revived. That said, I don't mind the current way the Kukkiwon is doing things by working with more organization and instructors directly, through the KOMS program and agreements. I prefer more choice.