Presas Arnis

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
We kept everything. The thing that we're working on at the moment is where the Kombatan Anyos should be taught. As far as adding goes, we've brought more Balintawak into the system. Prof. used that system for source material when creating MA. We've also blended some Bando in as well. Prof. started working with Dr. Gyi a couple years prior to his hospitalization and was very impressed with him and what he has teaching. The last seminar I hosted with them together, Prof. actually got on the floor and trained part of Dr. Gyi's session!

Cool! Thanks. :) Looking forward to working with you. :)

Edit: Is there a big difference between GM Ernestos anyos and those that GM Remy taught?

Last edited:
OP
Dan Anderson

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I’m kind of surprised by this thread. I’ve talked to you, Dan, many times over the past year. If you wanted answers of what and why we are doing things, all you had to do was ask. Not to mention that we talked about this in the beginning of 2010. Why wait so long? What you should have done was call or post the question on FMAT. I check that forum daily. I visit MT once a month at best.

Because you could state it far better than I could...and you did. Terrific post.

Yours,
Moi

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes, besides Dieter and Tim, Hock Hochheim's SFC system has had for years the influences of of the late GMs Remy and Ernesto Presas.

When I started with Hock in 94 he was combining Mano Mano (before it was changed to Kombatan) GM Ernesto's system and GM Remy's Modern Arnis. Over time he simplified his teachings even more to where his current system doesn't resemble their arts as much anymore.

Hock also added in his own types of training drills to and expanded the edged weapon materials over the years.

But in the beginning it was very much a blend of the two brother's materials. This was encouraged by Remy and Ernesto although many of the other MA students/maybe even some instructors frowned upon this. My Lakan Isa certificate from Hock has both brothers signatures on it for his system of Presas Arnis.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as teaching Presas Arnis this has been what I have primarily called what I teach now for many years as well. Granted I got the idea and the base format from Hock, but I went a different way with it.

Where Hock simplified things and made it more combative in nature, I tried to keep things more representative of the two brothers material. Not only in keeping many of the drills techniques of the two brothers arts, but also in adding drills, techniques, concepts, from top students of GM Remy's (only because Remy had the bigger following here in the states and thus more top instructors to learn from), to help improve my understanding of MA.

As a side note: Datu Tim, hopefully at the reunion camp if you don't mind, we might be able to sit down and discuss your Presas Arnis curriculum with the WMAA. I'd enjoy seeing what you have blended, kept, discarded etc. etc.

Mark

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started with Hock in 94 he was combining Mano Mano (before it was changed to Kombatan) GM Ernesto's system and GM Remy's Modern Arnis. Over time he simplified his teachings even more to where his current system doesn't resemble their arts as much anymore.

Hock also added in his own types of training drills to and expanded the edged weapon materials over the years.

But in the beginning it was very much a blend of the two brother's materials. This was encouraged by Remy and Ernesto although many of the other MA students/maybe even some instructors frowned upon this. My Lakan Isa certificate from Hock has both brothers signatures on it for his system of Presas Arnis.
Thanks Mark!

Its great to hear this perspective from someone such as yourself that has a long term perspective on the matter.

I do like the Palit-Palit drills which seem to have been more prominent with GM Ernesto's system. One of those cable shows that featured him showed him doing this drill blindfolded.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks Mark!

Its great to hear this perspective from someone such as yourself that has a long term perspective on the matter.

I do like the Palit-Palit drills which seem to have been more prominent with GM Ernesto's system. One of those cable shows that featured him showed him doing this drill blindfolded.

Harold

I liked the Palit Palit drills as well, in fact I had planned on having them on every belt level in my method of Presas Arnis. Now as I am teaching though I have had to de-emphasize them and am putting them more in the middle/advanced levels only. Although my students enjoyed the drills.

Was GM Ernesto doing the Palit Palit blindfolded, or was it his Freestyle pattern? His Freestyle pattern he often would demonstrate blindfolded, I've seen him do it even with a 20oz Sprite bottle (not blindfolded though).

Guro Harold

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Harold

I liked the Palit Palit drills as well, in fact I had planned on having them on every belt level in my method of Presas Arnis. Now as I am teaching though I have had to de-emphasize them and am putting them more in the middle/advanced levels only. Although my students enjoyed the drills.

Was GM Ernesto doing the Palit Palit blindfolded, or was it his Freestyle pattern? His Freestyle pattern he often would demonstrate blindfolded, I've seen him do it even with a 20oz Sprite bottle (not blindfolded though).
Freestyle from what I recall.

I like teaching Palit-Palit because it helps get beginning students feet moving in a controlled, semi free-form manner.

Latest Discussions