Pregnant Yak tries TKD........

OP
Flatfish

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Well thank you all very much for the input and the encouragement. Some very good pointers here. The videoing was infinitely helpful. There is a huge difference between what I thought I was doing and what I was actually doing.

@JowGaWolf @JR 137 I appreciate your comments and comparisons to the "majority of folks your age" out there. This might be true but stopping there isn't for me. I pushed myself pretty hard with my strength training (all calisthenics) and am pretty happy with being able to do some stuff that I don't see other people doing (of course they might be able to and just not enjoy that kind of stuff, dunno). I expect the same from myself with the MA training. Plus I'm getting into the higher geup grades now and I do not want to be one of those black belts that have no idea what they're doing. I also realize that I'll never be fantastic at MA but I want to be solid.

TBH we are getting promoted fairly quickly after learning the new curriculum content for each grade (form, self defense and one step sparring) and I would be quite happy to not advance that fast and spend more time refining things. But it is a commercial school (albeit small) and they have to keep the customers (many kids) happy. It is what it is. OTOH, our teenage and adult Black Belts are actually quite good....I guess they kept training and refined.....:)

I spent some time this morning focusing on the round kick and the hands. For now I can get it to work if i don't worry too much about height. Not a huge difference, just a few inches make a difference.

I'll keep at it and will put up another vid in a few weeks.

Again thanks everyone for your comments.

F

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
If they cannot restrain themselves from raising them up while kicking after that, we tell them to grip the lapels of their gi top.
This is what we do as well. While sparring hands up, but drilling, if the person has the issue, they have to grab their gi top. They can move their hands around while drilling later to experiment with ody movement while kicking, but that's not until they get into the habit of having them on guard in the first place.

@Flatfish Outside of your hands while kicking, you look like you're doing great. I don't train TKD, but the issues that you mention (and that some others mentioned) aren't huge issues and will be fixed with time.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Your kicks are good.from the way your description sounded I expected them to be garbage but you've got a good snap in them and good technique like others have said your hands flail a bit but that's just a habit that'll come with training.

I'd say for your punches you need to put your body into it. Kind of looks like your throwing arm punches and not getting a huge amount of power in them twist your hips when you punch you'll get more power

Latest Discussions