• Jump Back Kick
  • Jump Spinning Hook Kick
  • Double Roundhouse Kick
  • Lead Leg Kicks
  • Skipping Kicks
  • Lateral Movement
  • Dodge-and-Counter
  • Head Movement
  • Proper Guard (hands up instead of chambered at your side)
  • WT Clinch techniques, to include entry, hand-clearing, defense, jamming, and pushing off
  • Joint Locks
  • Throws
  • Sweeps
  • Hook Punches
  • Jabs
  • Breakfalls
  • Rolls
I haven't trained ITF, ATA, MDK, or any of the others, but I'd be willing to bet that they also have a lot of techniques and concepts that aren't covered in the forms or patterns. Have you even trained Taekwondo? If so, did you do anything other than forms? I'm willing to bet the answer is "no" for at least one of those.

isshinryuronin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Please show me in the Kukkiwon Taegeuk forms where there is:
  • Back Kick
  • Step-Behind Side Kick
  • Hook Kick
  • Spinning Hook Kick
  • Tornado Kick
  • Jump Roundhouse Kick
  • Flying Side Kick
  • Jump Back Kick
  • Double Roundhouse Kick
  • Lead Leg Kicks
  • Skipping Kicks
  • Lateral Movement
  • Dodge-and-Counter
  • Head Movement
  • WT Clinch techniques, to include entry, hand-clearing, defense, jamming, and pushing off
  • Joint Locks
  • Throws
  • Sweeps
  • Hook Punches
  • Jabs
  • Breakfalls
  • Rolls
I haven't trained ITF, ATA, MDK, or any of the others, but I'd be willing to bet that they also have a lot of techniques and concepts that aren't covered in the forms or patterns. Have you even trained Taekwondo? If so, did you do anything other than forms? I'm willing to bet the answer is "no" for at least one of those.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Please show me in the Kukkiwon Taegeuk forms where there is:
  • Back Kick
  • Step-Behind Side Kick
  • Hook Kick
  • Spinning Hook Kick
  • Tornado Kick
  • Jump Roundhouse Kick
  • Flying Side Kick
  • Jump Back Kick
  • Double Roundhouse Kick
  • Lead Leg Kicks
  • Skipping Kicks
  • Lateral Movement
  • Dodge-and-Counter
  • Head Movement
  • Joint Locks
  • Throws
  • Sweeps
  • Hook Punches
  • Jabs
  • Breakfalls
  • Rolls
This makes a very good point and speaks to the 'basic' nature of most color belt forms, especially the Taegueks (we have had this conversation). There are a Lot of holes that are not meant to be covered in Poomsae I have concluded. Still trying to decide if this is a bad. As long as the curriculum covers the rest of the stuff in an effective way that can be self-practiced I suppose not.
A lot of the stuff you list requires pressure/resistance training to really learn anyway.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Most of the parents I have already know their kids issues before they bring them in.
That is true since rarely do they say that they have never heard this before. They somehow neglect to let me know until I ask. Worse yet they may say "My child has ADHD but we don't give them meds before TKD. " (This can make situations worse since coming off the meds can have a boomerang effect.)

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is true since rarely do they say that they have never heard this before. They somehow neglect to let me know until I ask. Worse yet they may say "My child has ADHD but we don't give them meds before TKD. " (This can make situations worse since coming off the meds can have a boomerang effect.)
We have one kid with divorced parents who have very different ideas of how to manage his mental illness. It's like a lottery when he shows up to class how he's going to behave.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
We have one kid with divorced parents who have very different ideas of how to manage his mental illness. It's like a lottery when he shows up to class how he's going to behave.
I have seen this. Have had to set kids down for the whole class because they were a literal zombie. It is a delicate conversation to have when you are trying to suggest to parents how they should manage their kids. After getting them to alter the medication schedule the problems usually went away. We have had quite a few get completely off medication.

OP
skribs

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have seen this. Have had to set kids down for the whole class because they were a literal zombie. It is a delicate conversation to have when you are trying to suggest to parents how they should manage their kids. After getting them to alter the medication schedule the problems usually went away. We have had quite a few get completely off medication.
Ours is the opposite. I've never seen him as a zombie. When he's been with his Dad, his behavior is usually acceptable, and he responds to corrections when it isn't. When he's been with his Mom, he's essentially wild. Doesn't listen, argues with everything, makes excuses as to why he can't do stuff*, let's any encouragement go to his head that he's the greatest ever, constantly talking out of turn, threatening the other students, using inappropriate language, etc.

*My favorite excuse was that he couldn't do a proper high block because "then my shirt will be crooked."