Pranayama

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The yoga discipline of pranyama is breath control for those that don't know.

I usually don't breathe much through the nose during pranayama. I just don't feel like I get enough fresh air in my lungs. Also if I breathe hard enough boogers come out. So I tend to breathe through my mouth but only during pranyama. When I am breathing normally I breathe through my nose. I also notice that when I do pranayama through my nose my nostrils flare. Almost like the air was fighting to get in. I think it makes my nose deformed.

It is winter right now and the air is kind of cold. I still practice inside but I am worried about drying out my throat too much. When I try to talk I get sudden urge to cough. Maybe it is whooping cough? or maybe my throat is irritated.

I stopped for a while and it got better but I want to get back into it. How do you recommend I do my pranayama?

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
PHP:
I usually don't breathe much through the nose during pranayama. I just don't feel like I get enough fresh air in my lungs. Also if I breathe hard enough boogers come out. So I tend to breathe through my mouth but only during pranyama. When I am breathing normally I breathe through my nose. I also notice that when I do pranayama through my nose my nostrils flare. Almost like the air was fighting to get in. I think it makes my nose deformed.
1. Wash the inside of your nose using a saline solution or warm water. 2. Press around the sinus area to open up the nose 3. Press on Lung 1=Zhong fu located in the first intercostal space below acrominal extremity of clavicle. This will help open up the lungs. When you are practicing breath work the breath should be slow long deep slender. In some schools in opening up the nose will close one nostril and alternate breathing thru one open one close.
It is winter right now and the air is kind of cold. I still practice inside but I am worried about drying out my throat too much. When I try to talk I get sudden urge to cough. Maybe it is whooping cough? or maybe my throat is irritated.
Nose acts as a filter. In order to avoid drying out your throat place the top of the tongue at roof of the mouth or dip the tongue under to collect saliva. This is another reason why mouth breathing should not be done. There are quite a few different ways to open up the nose and lungs practice slow.

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have been doing doing what you say and it seems to work. It seems I have to keep reminding myself to not breathe as fast.

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
After taking some deep breaths it feels like I am breathing a lot softer.

Is this apena>?

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Ignore previous post. I was just thinking about all the crazy things freedivers do with pranayama and I got kind of worried. Thats what made me think I was getting apena.

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The yoga discipline of pranyama is breath control for those that don't know.

I stopped for a while and it got better but I want to get back into it. How do you recommend I do my pranayama?

Where are you getting your pranayama instruction from? You're instructor should be able to answer any concerns you have.

OP
R

rabbit

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Where are you getting your pranayama instruction from? You're instructor should be able to answer any concerns you have.

I am getting my instruction from books and the internet. Do I need a yoga instructor?

Doc_Jude

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am getting my instruction from books and the internet. Do I need a yoga instructor?

Ummm... if you're interested in pranayama but can't bother doing it properly through your nose because it makes your nose "deformed", and you have no knowledge of neti, I would recommend going and finding someone to teach you.

What do you wish to achieve with your practice?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I would advise you to seek out a competent teacher. If only do some workshops. Good luck!
icon6.gif

MahaKaal

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There are two forms of yoga in the Indian tradition, the first is Pranayam Yog which involves focus on breathing and holding of asans (positions) for long periods of time, mainly to increase flexibility, this is mainly practised by religious orders who wish to still the mind ready for meditation.

The other type of Yog Waryam which is practised by Pehalwans (Wrestlers) and Khsatriyas (Warriors), although there is a difference in how they practise due to their overall aims. Waryam involves stretching and breathing as in Pranayam, but less focus is placed on holding asans, instead they aim for more repetition through Gehris (cycles) of movement. This increases Dham (stamina) and Furti (agility) and dynamic strength for their respective fighting styles. The key techniques in Waryam are Dand (Divebomb pressups) and Behtak (squats) Jattarbehtak (varying forms of stomach excercises) and Surya/Grur Namaskar.

Both forms do require a teacher as it is easy to injure yourself if you are performing the techniques incorrectly, having been training in Waryam for 2 years, there are always some subtle additions which are made regularly to make the technique better. When doing Pranayam or Waryam it is important to train in a warm (not hot) room, if your training in a cold area that may be the reason why your having problems breathing. Breathing should be steady and not forced, before you start spend some time consciously breathing in and out smoothly and naturally. As you get more settled to it then breath in deep at a slow pace until your lungs fill up, hold the breath, relax your body and focus between your eyes to still the mind. When you cannot hold the breath anymore then breath out through the mouth at a steady pace.

Try warming up your room to a comfortable temperature and ease yourself into it, if you have any problems ill ask my teacher about it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
There are two forms of yoga in the Indian tradition, the first is Pranayam Yog which involves focus on breathing and holding of asans (positions) for long periods of time, mainly to increase flexibility, this is mainly practised by religious orders who wish to still the mind ready for meditation.

The other type of Yog Waryam which is practised by Pehalwans (Wrestlers) and Khsatriyas (Warriors), although there is a difference in how they practise due to their overall aims. Waryam involves stretching and breathing as in Pranayam, but less focus is placed on holding asans, instead they aim for more repetition through Gehris (cycles) of movement. This increases Dham (stamina) and Furti (agility) and dynamic strength for their respective fighting styles. The key techniques in Waryam are Dand (Divebomb pressups) and Behtak (squats) Jattarbehtak (varying forms of stomach excercises) and Surya/Grur Namaskar.

Both forms do require a teacher as it is easy to injure yourself if you are performing the techniques incorrectly, having been training in Waryam for 2 years, there are always some subtle additions which are made regularly to make the technique better. When doing Pranayam or Waryam it is important to train in a warm (not hot) room, if your training in a cold area that may be the reason why your having problems breathing. Breathing should be steady and not forced, before you start spend some time consciously breathing in and out smoothly and naturally. As you get more settled to it then breath in deep at a slow pace until your lungs fill up, hold the breath, relax your body and focus between your eyes to still the mind. When you cannot hold the breath anymore then breath out through the mouth at a steady pace.

Try warming up your room to a comfortable temperature and ease yourself into it, if you have any problems ill ask my teacher about it.

Thanks for the post

Welcome to MT