Practicing wrist locks solo.

Raymond

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There's been some great advice here but I'll add my two cents.

I think the most beneficial part for you to practicing wrist manipulations alone wouldn't be to actually try and "do a move" but rather look at your hand and wrist and study the anatomical structures of it. Feel the way your own wrist and hand moves, here the weakest points of the mechanisms are and really commit that deep into your instinct. To me, a wrist lock isn't so much about "doing a move" in a pre-determined pattern but practicing the "move" is simply to instill in your muscle memory the anatomical workings of the wrist. When you fully understand that, like a walking anatomy chart, then you will know how to manipulate a wrist in an infinite number of positions and you will see "wrist locks" in all parts of fighting, self defense and martial art techniques.

So to sum it up, its less about learning a "move" and practicing it but more so understanding the biomechanics of the wrist and knowing what it can and can't do, then forcing the other persons into the "can't do" category. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's been some great advice here but I'll add my two cents.

I think the most beneficial part for you to practicing wrist manipulations alone wouldn't be to actually try and "do a move" but rather look at your hand and wrist and study the anatomical structures of it. Feel the way your own wrist and hand moves, here the weakest points of the mechanisms are and really commit that deep into your instinct. To me, a wrist lock isn't so much about "doing a move" in a pre-determined pattern but practicing the "move" is simply to instill in your muscle memory the anatomical workings of the wrist. When you fully understand that, like a walking anatomy chart, then you will know how to manipulate a wrist in an infinite number of positions and you will see "wrist locks" in all parts of fighting, self defense and martial art techniques.

So to sum it up, its less about learning a "move" and practicing it but more so understanding the biomechanics of the wrist and knowing what it can and can't do, then forcing the other persons into the "can't do" category. I hope this makes sense and is helpful.

I'm more interested in the memory of the technique (gross movements as DD put) not the technique itself, the mechanics etc. I agree and would leave for class. Would be just an aid to help with cognitive links for when in class and memory recall.

I would have to lure friends over with beer to practice the biomechanics outside of class.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm more interested in the memory of the technique (gross movements as DD put) not the technique itself, the mechanics etc. I agree and would leave for class. Would be just an aid to help with cognitive links for when in class and memory recall.

I would have to lure friends over with beer to practice the biomechanics outside of class.
Give me a call when you have some spare time and come over. I'd like to catch up and I might be able to help you with your locks.

What people are normally taught is the basic technique. It is difficult to apply that from a reality type situation without striking first. We had a seminar recently which included Hapkido. It was interesting to see the physicality that was required. We train them with softness.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Give me a call when you have some spare time and come over. I'd like to catch up and I might be able to help you with your locks.

What people are normally taught is the basic technique. It is difficult to apply that from a reality type situation without striking first. We had a seminar recently which included Hapkido. It was interesting to see the physicality that was required. We train them with softness.

Thanks K-man, hopefully be able to take you up on the offer when time comes up.

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind it's just the gross movement I'm after now, when I first posted I had only started, I have no inclination to self train the soft side of the style, and now I'm just interested in adding a tool to my home practice that is just based on keeping the principles\techniques re-callable during my home routine. eg. 5 Minutes Jump Rope, 10 minutes stretches, 5 minutes striking, 5 minutes kicking, single arm movement techniques 1-9, Single arm principles 1-4 etc etc... 5 minute shower, off to work. Something that I would phase out once it does become muscle memory.

Chrisoro

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I think something like this could work for training setups, entries and general positioning of the hands, but I think the lack of feedback and response from the mannequin would limit the degree of usefulness quite a bit.
male_dress_form_flexible_arms_MDF18_linen.jpg

OP
jezr74

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think something like this could work for training setups, entries and general positioning of the hands, but I think the lack of feedback and response from the mannequin would limit the degree of usefulness quite a bit.
male_dress_form_flexible_arms_MDF18_linen.jpg
That would freak the kids out more than my BOB does now at night. It looks like something I had in mind, more gross movements than actual technique. I'm guessing that's a dressmakers mannequin?

Latest Discussions