Practicing Self Defense for Beginners

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't know what the heck you're talking about with the tribal stuff.
You should do some research on it. You will be surprised to see that the younger girls learn how to take care of children, from the parents who have children. I think you would actually find it interesting. Here's something to get you started.
"Young girls learn from a very young age to take care of their younger siblings. Babies are seen on the backs of girls as young as five years of age. From the time babies are able to walk, they are thrust into the realm of adult responsibilities. Youth learn from their parents and elders how to manage the homestead." Source: Birth and Childhood rituals

Also here's a definition of training use this definition and the high school stuff will make sense: "Training is teaching, or developing in oneself or others, any skills and knowledge that relate to specific useful competencies. Training has specific goals of improving one's capability, capacity, productivity and performance." Source: Training - Wikipedia

Why would this definition apply to Martial Arts and not school?

Here's the definition for practice. "repeated exercise in or performance of an activity or skill so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it." Why wouldn't this apply to self-defense training? Do you not do techniques repeatedly so as to acquire or maintain proficiency in it?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It conditions you to fight a real looking person. It also allows you to know what and how you are striking a target that is shaped like a person. It is similar to the firing rates of the infantry in WW2 compared to Vietnam...
Assuming you'll also spar against a person, the shape of the bag you practice on (BOB vs. heavy bag) is probably not relevant from a psychological perspective. If you're only going to practice on a bag (no sparring partner), then that psychological difference is probably immaterial.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't wear a watch. That would pretty much foil them right there.
Clearly it was an example question, but it could also be a question about directions, or anything which distracts you.

As you haven't posted a smiley with this comment to show it was intended to be a joke, then you are continuing (as in the to other thread) to be deliberately obtuse, and I don't come here for that, if I wanted that I'd waste my to me on other MA blogs.

Fortunately we have an ignore button, so goodbye.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You are right criminals do not fight you.

They just hide and corners and sucker punch people all day.
"Man gets in fist fight."

You are talking about people getting into fist fights, which is a completely different conversation to the one I am having.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Man gets in fist fight."

You are talking about people getting into fist fights, which is a completely different conversation to the one I am having.
You stated that "criminals don't fight you" but they do fight you. That's where assault and battery charges come in. It's how women are abused. Here's a home invasion. He didn't use any of those distraction techniques that you speak of. "Hey what time is it" then sucker punch her. He came directly at her.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Assuming you'll also spar against a person, the shape of the bag you practice on (BOB vs. heavy bag) is probably not relevant from a psychological perspective. If you're only going to practice on a bag (no sparring partner), then that psychological difference is probably immaterial.

I do elieve this is a thread about "self defense" and not about sparring. The psychological difference is huge...read On Combat by Grossman, he speaks a lot to this idea.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Clearly it was an example question, but it could also be a question about directions, or anything which distracts you.

As you haven't posted a smiley with this comment to show it was intended to be a joke, then you are continuing (as in the to other thread) to be deliberately obtuse, and I don't come here for that, if I wanted that I'd waste my to me on other MA blogs.

Fortunately we have an ignore button, so goodbye.

You don,t seen to know much about criminal behavior.

The ask the time example was kind of silly.

I have fist fought a lot of actual criminals. You get that in loss prevention.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do elieve this is a thread about "self defense" and not about sparring. The psychological difference is huge...read On Combat by Grossman, he speaks a lot to this idea.
This is actually a thread about training for self-defense. In most cases, that includes sparring. Given a live target (sparring partner), the cognitive effect of the non-live target's shape (bag vs. BOB) will be greatly diminished. The primary effect of a simulated target's shape is that it gets the mind accustomed to acting upon what that shape is simulating. Since someone sparring is actually acting upon a person when sparring, it's likely that provides more of the cognitive effect than the simulation (BOB) would.

Now, there's one way the human-shaped target might still add to this psychological benefit, and that's if it's attacked with more power than the live target. That would help acclimate the student to delivering that kind of strike to a human-like target.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don,t seen to know much about criminal behavior.

The ask the time example was kind of silly.

I have fist fought a lot of actual criminals. You get that in loss prevention.
I've heard reference to the distracting question many times, from different sources. I assume it's not entirely apocryphal, but I don't know that I've ever run into anyone who could reliably report an incident of it.

I do know several folks who ended up in a fight with someone who attacked them (or someone else). That one's certainly a real thing.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've heard reference to the distracting question many times, from different sources. I assume it's not entirely apocryphal, but I don't know that I've ever run into anyone who could reliably report an incident of it.

I do know several folks who ended up in a fight with someone who attacked them (or someone else). That one's certainly a real thing.

A guy did it to me once. For some insane reason wanted to steal my glasses. I set an attack dog after him and he ran off.

I have heard of significantly more nuanced approaches. There was an Aboriginal gang in Melbourne that would have a 10 year old kid pick a fight with you and then his cousins would rush in to defend him. You can get the same trick with girls.

There is the offer of the thing that you want in the back car park.

And the Brazilian method where a bunch of people just walk up and mob you.

So yeah there are plenty of methods. And most of them are better resolved by just giving up the money.

But being able to knock mo fos out is still a viable talent to have even at the worst of times.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A guy did it to me once. For some insane reason wanted to steal my glasses. I set an attack dog after him and he ran off.

I have heard of significantly more nuanced approaches. There was an Aboriginal gang in Melbourne that would have a 10 year old kid pick a fight with you and then his cousins would rush in to defend him. You can get the same trick with girls.

There is the offer of the thing that you want in the back car park.

And the Brazilian method where a bunch of people just walk up and mob you.

So yeah there are plenty of methods. And most of them are better resolved by just giving up the money.

But being able to knock mo fos out is still a viable talent to have even at the worst of times.
Steal your glasses?? Why the...what...I...

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

The use of distraction is often done when someone wants to steal something from you and get away with it. People who are intent on bashing your face in don't care about creating distractions.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is actually a thread about training for self-defense. In most cases, that includes sparring. Given a live target (sparring partner), the cognitive effect of the non-live target's shape (bag vs. BOB) will be greatly diminished. The primary effect of a simulated target's shape is that it gets the mind accustomed to acting upon what that shape is simulating. Since someone sparring is actually acting upon a person when sparring, it's likely that provides more of the cognitive effect than the simulation (BOB) would.

Now, there's one way the human-shaped target might still add to this psychological benefit, and that's if it's attacked with more power than the live target. That would help acclimate the student to delivering that kind of strike to a human-like target.

Thank you for reiterating what I was saying. Of course, along the same lines, you simply cannot take your pen and shove it in a "sparring partner's" eye, or a knife to the brain, so it is a big help.

Also, if I may...the thread is titled "Practicing Self Defense for Beginners".

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for reiterating what I was saying. Of course, along the same lines, you simply cannot take your pen and shove it in a "sparring partner's" eye, or a knife to the brain, so it is a big help.

If you think you're likely to stick a knife in an opponents brain, you need to rethink your connection with reality...

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Actually, per your original post on this, "it has to look like a real target for proper conditioning". My point was, and remains, that most of that conditioning happens during sparring, where your opponent is shaped rather like an actual human. Absent that interaction, the shape of your practice target would be more important.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
The use of distraction is often done when someone wants to steal something from you and get away with it. People who are intent on bashing your face in don't care about creating distractions.

Brazil has some fascinating examples. Because it is so common.

Latest Discussions