Practicing Self Defense for Beginners

Krista

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I'm a beginner and am just learning some of the basic punches/kicks etc. I was wondering what the best way is to practice the things I'm learning. Is it important that I get access to a standing punching bag? Are there other things (wall-mounted mats, etc) that might work? My local gym doesn't have punching bags, so I'd need to pay extra at a different gym to use them.

How important is it to practice with resistance?

Thanks!
Krista

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hi Krista,
Welcome to MT.

When we talk of self defence most of SD is avoiding fighting so I'm assuming that you're not really talking of self defence but of developing some basic fighting skills in case all else fails.

Are you training with an instructor or are you trying to develop these skills by yourself? If you have an instructor then I would be asking him/her about your extra training, and if you haven't got an instructor, instead of paying for access to a different gym, I'd be putting the money into some private tuition.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's best that you study an organized system/school (such as Krav Maga, Systema, Silat, Kung Fu, Karate, etc.) under a proper instructor. I would not advise just arbitrarily studying techniques left and right without an organized curriculum to guide you.

I could mention a wide range of equipment that would help you a great deal at this point. Punching bags, focus pads, wall mounted mats, resistance bands, even kettle-bells, sledgehammers, jump-rope and free weights. But to identify which ones you will need exactly, you will need to choose an art to study properly. :)

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
welcome to MT.
as others have asked are you in a school/system already

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to MT, Krista!

As a beginner, what's important is going to class. Practice any way you want.
Best not to worry about bags, mats or whatever, best just to work out and have fun doing so.

Are you fit? In shape? Strong core?

OP
K

Krista

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm learning some techniques from a friend who studied hand-to-hand combat in the military. It's all framed as self-defense, but yes, I am learning some basic fighting techniques as well as how to get out of dangerous situations.

I'm pretty fit, although I haven't practiced martial arts before (I'm a swimmer).

I really appreciate your help! I will also ask my friend if he has suggestions.

Thanks!

lisamegan

White Belt
Reaction score
It is best to learn self defense kicks and moves from a professional martial school or learn it online.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is best to learn self defense kicks and moves from a professional martial school or learn it online.

First off, welcome to MT. Maybe you'd like to go over to Meet & Greet and tell us something about yourself?
Beyond that... no... just no. You really cannot learn martial arts by watching videos online. Books and videos can be an excellent supplement to quality training, but they are in no way a replacement.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Good advice so far. I want to follow up on about not worrying about the punching bag. The most that a punching bag will do for you will be conditioning the fist (if you don't wear gloves) and impact conditioning for your joints, ligaments, and tendons. With punching and kicking it's all about technique and making sure you are punching correctly.

General rule. Learn correct technique 1st. Punch hard 2nd.

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As well as studying the physical (hard) skills, what are you doing to train the non physical (soft) skills of self defence, as these are arguably more important, as done correctly they will in most cases keep you from ever getting to the point where the hard skills become necessary.

Examples of soft skills are Threat & Awareness Evaluation (inc coopers Colour Codes), Target Hardening, The Fence, familiarising yourself with The Ritual of Violence, self defence law (in you are) Pre-emptive striking, Verbal De-escalation, etc etc

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Krista
Extremely important. But not the first thing to do (not before doing things with no-to-little resistance).
Bags are (mainly) for power training. Also not a priority for a beginner.

As a beginner... Yeah, join a good school or club.

The OP probably is not following it. But several people is asking how to start. Easy. Find a school (which may not be so easy). There are not shortcuts.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Extremely important. But not the first thing to do (not before doing things with no-to-little resistance).
Bags are (mainly) for power training. Also not a priority for a beginner.

As a beginner... Yeah, join a good school or club.

The OP probably is not following it. But several people is asking how to start. Easy. Find a school (which may not be so easy). There are not shortcuts.
Definitely no short cuts are available.

Things people train for years to be good in
  • Playing Music
  • Cooking
  • Drawing
  • Singing
  • Playing a sport (tennis, football, basketball, golf.etc)
  • Driving a car (every time we are in the car it's practice time)
  • Flying a plane
  • Being a teacher
  • Being a scientist
  • Being a parent
  • Going to school
But when people want to learn self-defense they always try to short cut it and then expect to be good at it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Definitely no short cuts are available.

Things people train for years to be good in
  • Playing Music
  • Cooking
  • Drawing
  • Singing
  • Playing a sport (tennis, football, basketball, golf.etc)
  • Driving a car (every time we are in the car it's practice time)
  • Flying a plane
  • Being a teacher
  • Being a scientist
  • Being a parent
  • Going to school
But when people want to learn self-defense they always try to short cut it and then expect to be good at it.

That is one of the best answers I have seen to the person who may not understand why you can't be an expert two or three sessions.

But I don't think that is quite where the OP is. She seems to be interested in martial arts, and wants to get better. But for some reason hasn't opted for in-class training.

Krista, first, welcome to MT. Looking forward to your input as you continue in your martial arts journey. Some USA military training is good, at least for what it is intended to do; give a military person some down and dirty techniques for increased survival in battle.

But if you are beginning to enjoy the idea of learning a martial art, I would encourage you to look for a school that teaches what you like, in a way you like. Learning what your friend has been taught may be fun, and he may be good at passing on what he knows. But generally we think it best to learn in a school setting, with a teacher who is belted and perhaps teacher certified in his/her style.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes. Krista, we are not implying that you want to be an expert in a short period of time. We did go off the rails a bit, by complaining about those who look for shortcuts. We do tend to rant on occasion, but it keeps our circulation up! :D

It just sounds as if you want to practice diligently and effectively, and for that you should be applauded.

As for resistance? In our tradition (yiquan-based), we use cooperative resistance early on in order to get a feeling for our use of force throughout the whole body, and to gain an idea of how a resisting opponent feels.

I think that you should consult with your instructor regarding the need for a bag. If you don't have an instructor ... well, it's generally a good idea to have one. :)

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes. Krista, we are not implying that you want to be an expert in a short period of time. We did go off the rails a bit, by complaining about those who look for shortcuts. We do tend to rant on occasion, but it keeps our circulation up!
Correct. I posted my statement about shortcuts because it was an opportunity to share some information that I thought would be valuable. The more people who are in the discussion the more valuable information that you'll get. In a way, this is how martial arts classes work as well. The more students in a class the more mistakes are make and as a result the instructor will often shape classes around those mistakes and give more information on the why, how, when to use a technique, and what happens if we do a technique do wrong.

It's not that you can't learn in an one on one environment, but your learning will be enhanced in a class environment. In reality you can do both, learn from a class and still learn from your friend. There's nothing that says you can't do both.

MI_martialist

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Always use an anatomically correct torso target. Do not punch and kick in the air, and do not waste your time punching and kicking a simple bag...it has to look like a real target for proper conditioning.

Juany118

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well the way combatives in the Army works now the person could be a professional for a certain level of techniques. They have train the trainer courses for levels 1 through 4 and level 1 is only a 4 hour course, level 2 80 hour course levels 3 and 4 are both 160 your courses. Since the Army plan is to have one level 1 trainer per platoon it is possible the soldier is a "professional" instructor.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Not sure if this was answered. But training with resistance is vital. You can't learn to defend yourself unless you are actually trying to do your techniques against a partner, whose goal is to make you unsuccessful in defending yourself. Even something as simple as trying to punch a moving person changes a lot about how you throw punches. Some of these knew how to punch, but it all changes when your target moves

Paul_D

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Striking for the purposes of self defence is done pre-emptively. Criminals do not tend to bob and weave or use fighting footwork during the interview stage which precedes a crime, nor during the distraction stage before they sucker punch or put a knife to your throat so they can rob/rape/kill you.

What you are talking about, and what the video you have posted relates to (hence its title) is street fighting which is illegal, as opposed to self-defence which is legal. It is important to understand the difference, if only for the legal and financial consequences which can follow one but not the other.

Latest Discussions