Practical Wing Chun

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well, technically speaking, he may be right.
I certainly have, at some time or another, (and there are others as well) done, spoken, written, or engaged in foolish and/or idiotic actions/conversations here and elsewhere.
Sooo; imbecile may well be appropriate...at times.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would have to agree. One could even say I deserve that for not holding my tongue.

This is me feeling ashamed.
Just remember, the real idiots never admit to being out of line, and don't feel ashamed. ;)

Callen

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Wan Kam Leung did not "ditch" the bong sau. It is included in his curriculum, utilized in forms as well as the wooden dummy.

While I agree that the video posted previously isn't the best isolated example, it is merely a drill. A part of the whole, that when taken out of context, can be misinterpreted. The bong in PWC can be flexible and fold if necessary. It is often used as a feeder or can become a lan sau (implemented as a "fence") in the process.

This may give a better idea of how the bong sau functions within Wan Kam Leung's system:

Reactions: KPM

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wan Kam Leung did not "ditch" the bong sau. It is included in his curriculum, utilized in forms as well as the wooden dummy ...This may give a better idea of how the bong sau functions within Wan Kam Leung's system:

That bong is really minimal and quick. If you follow the maxim that "bong never stays", it makes a lot of sense. It flashes out, deflects the attack and then in an instant flips back to an elbow-low tan-like position better suited for an attack.

I'm going to experiment with that concept. Chi-sau sometimes encourages us to hang out in bong way too long.

KPM

Senior Master
Reaction score
That bong is really minimal and quick. If you follow the maxim that "bong never stays", it makes a lot of sense. It flashes out, deflects the attack and then in an instant flips back to an elbow-low tan-like position better suited for an attack.

I'm going to experiment with that concept. Chi-sau sometimes encourages us to hang out in bong way too long.

That's pretty much exactly how we have been using the Bong in our "Wing Chun Boxing." In "old school boxing" something very similar was called an "elbow roll." This morphed into the "shoulder roll" that is now pretty common in modern boxing.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score

My favorite is the bong arm returning to a low elbow position, but with the forearm rolling over on top of and SQUASHING the partner's / opponents limb that you had previously deflected off the line. Its essentially switching to an outside gate I suppose. Very effective in getting a dominant position in gor sau.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score

Bong GOT to be quick dude, cant work abnother way!

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly how we have been using the Bong in our "Wing Chun Boxing." In "old school boxing" something very similar was called an "elbow roll." This morphed into the "shoulder roll" that is now pretty common in modern boxing.

Good info!

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
They have this Fook-ish Jum kinda thing that replaces the traditional Bong Sao, even in the forms. The Practical guys I've spoken to have pretty much completely abandoned the Bong Sao as everyone else knows it.

karatejj

Green Belt
Reaction score
They have this Fook-ish Jum kinda thing that replaces the traditional Bong Sao, even in the forms. The Practical guys I've spoken to have pretty much completely abandoned the Bong Sao as everyone else knows it.

Canot see how Jum replace bong??o_O

They not do same thing??

wayfaring

Green Belt
Reaction score
Bong can also be used as a yielding deflection rather than aggressively. But either way, it's not a good place to hang out!
We have 3 bong sau in our SNT. Each with a different purpose. No need to abandon bong sau LOL.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Canot see how Jum replace bong??o_O

They not do same thing??

This is my buddy Benny from Practical Wing Chun. This is their Bong/Wu.

Attachments

• 12688204_1012301022168314_3062013539559180359_n.jpg
    12688204_1012301022168314_3062013539559180359_n.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 179

Latest Discussions