Reaction score
Respect for a name of an art means respect for the art

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not so sure of that, nor of the converse. A name is nothing but some words. If someone doesn't like the name, they might still quite like and respect the value of the art, itself.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

Not really. There are plenty of things I can respect, that have stupid names.
And plenty of things with awesome names that are complete rubbish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While some are arguing over the word 'practical' did it occur to anyone that the video is from Finland? The wording on the video is in English therefore a translation which may be close to the Finnish word for whatever they call what they are doing. We all know that not everything translates from one language easily to another so we use the best word we know.
Rather than bicker over the word why not congratulate people who have kindly put a translation on for those who do not speak Finnish, a notoriously hard language to learn.

Not a pleasant welcome for someone who has put his training videos up for people to comment on and gets picked up for using words English speakers don't approve of. So who here speaks Finnish so they can apologise for arrogance in the gentleman's own language?

Tervetuloa martialtalk, pahoittelen idiootteja täällä.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
While some are arguing over the word 'practical' did it occur to anyone that the video is from Finland? The wording on the video is in English therefore a translation which may be close to the Finnish word for whatever they call what they are doing. We all know that not everything translates from one language easily to another so we use the best word we know.
Rather than bicker over the word why not congratulate people who have kindly put a translation on for those who do not speak Finnish, a notoriously hard language to learn.

Not a pleasant welcome for someone who has put his training videos up for people to comment on and gets picked up for using words English speakers don't approve of. So who here speaks Finnish so they can apologise for arrogance in the gentleman's own language?

Tervetuloa martialtalk, pahoittelen idiootteja täällä.

I'll be honest, I didn't watch the videos until after I read the post. I simply reacted to the title. The OP's logo was in English so I had no reason to assume it wasn't the language of the school.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll be honest, I didn't watch the videos until after I read the post. I simply reacted to the title. The OP's logo was in English so I had no reason to assume it wasn't the language of the school.

First written line of the post before you got to the video link "This Hapkido is from Finland' so if you read the post before you watched the video.........................

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
First written line of the post before you got to the video link "This Hapkido is from Finland' so if you read the post before you watched the video.........................

So people from Finland can't speak English? I said it appeared to be the language of the school.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
So people from Finland can't speak English? I said it appeared to be the language of the school.

Ah! Come on, give it up. You, as anyone, is entitled to your opinion. But your comment about "practical" was rather nitpicky don't you think.

Now if you saw great problems in technique that you could articulate, that would be worth commenting on.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah! Come on, give it up. You, as anyone, is entitled to your opinion. But your comment about "practical" was rather nitpicky don't you think.

Now if you saw great problems in technique that you could articulate, that would be worth commenting on.

No, I don't think it was nitpicky. If I started a forum and called it "Smart Forum" it would imply that other forums are dumb, or the people on them are dumb. If I started a store called Low Price Groceries, it would imply that we have lower prices than other grocery stores. To say "practical hapkido" is to say that other hapkido is not practical. Which either means you're insulting the other hapkido schools by saying they fail at the one thing hapkido does, or you just don't understand what hapkido is.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For crying out loud, what do you think it says about this site when people are arguing over what they think the word practical means.
I read practical Hapkido and didn't assume anything at all about, it's not insulting unless you are determined to be insulted.

Yes, a lot of people in Scandinavian speak English, in fact most of Europe speaks English as a second/third/fourth language, it's a pity that native speakers of American English can't actually understand what the words 'polite' and 'welcoming' mean.

If the OP doesn't come back I can entirely understand, I can also understand if he thinks there's too many pillocks who would probably shout the English words at him very slowly if they were talking in person to him.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This Hapkido is from Finland.

For the person who disagreed that the line was there.

No, I don't think it was nitpicky. If I started a forum and called it "Smart Forum" it would imply that other forums are dumb, or the people on them are dumb. If I started a store called Low Price Groceries, it would imply that we have lower prices than other grocery stores. To say "practical hapkido" is to say that other hapkido is not practical. Which either means you're insulting the other hapkido schools by saying they fail at the one thing hapkido does, or you just don't understand what hapkido is.

I think you'd like this site. Post A Moan

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
For the person who disagreed that the line was there.

I think you'd like this site. Post A Moan

I didn't disagree that the line was there. I disagreed on your assumptions based on that line being there. By the way, you know you can tell who agreed and disagreed with your post? For one, it says in the alert "Skribs disagreed with your post." For another, you can click "list" next to where it says "disagree" on your post, and it will list the users who disagreed with it.

Or did you know that and you were passive-aggressively targeting me?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score

When I saw the title Practical Hapkido, I realized it could be misunderstood that way, but I did not think the was the meaning the OP meant. Because I think Hapkido is indeed a very practical art. I don't think it is the only one, but if I didn't think it was way up on the scale of practical arts, I wouldn't have stayed with it long enough to be a 2nd Dan.

And after watching the video, I saw some things that were variants of techniques I had learned, that I want to add to my toolbox. They were 'practical.'

But interesting to know how you think anyway.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't disagree that the line was there. I disagreed on your assumptions based on that line being there. By the way, you know you can tell who agreed and disagreed with your post? For one, it says in the alert "Skribs disagreed with your post." For another, you can click "list" next to where it says "disagree" on your post, and it will list the users who disagreed with it.

Or did you know that and you were passive-aggressively targeting me?

Oooooo mansplaining! Newbie, guess what, I know already.

Hell, there is never anything passive about me, no one can ever accuse me of that.
Your disagreement is nonsense of course, the line is there you didn't read it and had a wibble.

sticker,375x360.png

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oooooo mansplaining! Newbie, guess what, I know already.

Hell, there is never anything passive about me, no one can ever accuse me of that.
Your disagreement is nonsense of course, the line is there you didn't read it and had a wibble.

sticker,375x360.png

Or, and bear with me here, I read it, and came to the same conclusion I've been parroting in the last several posts!

How am I "mansplaining"? I thought that was when a man explains something to a woman because they think women are too stupid to understand something, regardless of the woman's knowledge. Someone who "mansplains" usually bases this on gender, and usually does so without even checking what the woman's knowledge of the subject is.

Are you a woman? If you are, I didn't know, so the gender component isn't there.

Did I make an assumption? Yes. I made the assumption that either you didn't know how to find out who disagreed, or that you were being passive aggressive, because YOUR POST SUGGESTED YOU DIDN'T KNOW AND THOSE WERE THE ONLY CONCLUSIONS I COULD DRAW FROM IT.

Sorry. I'm not trying to yell. It's just that you acted like you didn't know something and are now jumping down my throat for explaining it, so I had to make it clear why I was making that assumption.

But, yes. Keep posting funny pictures and make witty comments about websites I should go to. That's going to convince me that I'm wrong.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
For crying out loud, what do you think it says about this site when people are arguing over what they think the word practical means.
I read practical Hapkido and didn't assume anything at all about, it's not insulting unless you are determined to be insulted.

Yes, a lot of people in Scandinavian speak English, in fact most of Europe speaks English as a second/third/fourth language, it's a pity that native speakers of American English can't actually understand what the words 'polite' and 'welcoming' mean.

If the OP doesn't come back I can entirely understand, I can also understand if he thinks there's too many pillocks who would probably shout the English words at him very slowly if they were talking in person to him.

Hey, Tez3, you're painting with a broad brush again. :(

I struggle with English these days, but in my life I have learned and spoken 3 different non-English languages. I knew the words polite and welcome in those languages.

Actually, the more I think of it, maybe I don't know what those words mean in English. I have become sort of cantankerous as I have aged. :) :)

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was wondering why this thread was going south. Then I saw the word mansplaining and saw the show ignored content button.

The usual lol.

Latest Discussions