PPCT, What is it?

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Hola all,
I am at a new LEO Agency (by choice) and get to be the DT Instructor thanks to past experience. However I have to teach PPCT so the good thing is I get to go to the school the bad this, and the reason for this post, is what is PPCT?

I have experience with Army Combatives and FBI Arrest Control as an Instructor how does this system relate?

Thanks in advance,
Hud

mcjon77

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) is the use of pressure points in a law enforcement capacity. By pressure points, I am not referring to Chinese meridians, rather nerve clusters that are accessible unarmed or with an impact weapon (e.g. ASP, PR-24). I took a PPCT class about 14 years ago. I am not law enforcement, but I was a martial arts student of the civilian instructor who was certified to teach it, so some of his martial arts students took the class along with local LEO. As I was the largest person in the class, I was also the demonstration dummy for these techniques.

We learned several points, but the only two I still remember were the "C clamp" maneuver and a thigh strike that hits the same nerve that Thai Boxers aim for in their leg clips. The C-clamp was interesting because (according to the instructor) it was a good method to get a non-compliant, yet non-violent, person to move where you wanted them to go. The best way I can explain it is that you are using one hand to apply pressure on 2 or three separate pressure points, behind the ear, under the nose, and the upper lift.

He mentioned peaceful public protests situations as an example of where they could be used. For example if people are sitting in front of a building, blocking the entrance. Trying to pick up someone who is acting as dead weight can be very difficult. On the other hand, you can't just pull out your baton and beat the hell out of a bunch of peaceful demonstrators in front of the camera. Using the "C clamp" causes enough pain to force the protester to comply quickly with your commands, but does not injure them.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pressure Point Control Tactics (PPCT) is the use of pressure points in a law enforcement capacity. By pressure points, I am not referring to Chinese meridians, rather nerve clusters that are accessible unarmed or with an impact weapon (e.g. ASP, PR-24). I took a PPCT class about 14 years ago. I am not law enforcement, but I was a martial arts student of the civilian instructor who was certified to teach it, so some of his martial arts students took the class along with local LEO. As I was the largest person in the class, I was also the demonstration dummy for these techniques.

We learned several points, but the only two I still remember were the "C clamp" maneuver and a thigh strike that hits the same nerve that Thai Boxers aim for in their leg clips. The C-clamp was interesting because (according to the instructor) it was a good method to get a non-compliant, yet non-violent, person to move where you wanted them to go. The best way I can explain it is that you are using one hand to apply pressure on 2 or three separate pressure points, behind the ear, under the nose, and the upper lift.

He mentioned peaceful public protests situations as an example of where they could be used. For example if people are sitting in front of a building, blocking the entrance. Trying to pick up someone who is acting as dead weight can be very difficult. On the other hand, you can't just pull out your baton and beat the hell out of a bunch of peaceful demonstrators in front of the camera. Using the "C clamp" causes enough pain to force the protester to comply quickly with your commands, but does not injure them.

Here the C clamp isn't used any more as there was a good chance of being bitten by all accounts.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

The leg is the common peroneal pressure point. The primo spot on the upper body is the brachial plexus origin. Think about Frankenstein's creature and the bolts on the side of his neck; that's as good a way to remember the target area as any.

PPCT was designed by Bruce Siddle. Here's their website. We teach several PPCT training courses and I can tell you that I wish I had known this stuff back in the dim, dark days when I used to be a cop.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The leg is the common peroneal pressure point. The primo spot on the upper body is the brachial plexus origin. Think about Frankenstein's creature and the bolts on the side of his neck; that's as good a way to remember the target area as any.

PPCT was designed by Bruce Siddle. Here's their website. We teach several PPCT training courses and I can tell you that I wish I had known this stuff back in the dim, dark days when I used to be a cop.

I like that! thanks.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics)

As others have mentioned it was created by Bruce Siddle. The techniques are based on three components

1) Legal: Are the techniques used legally supported and accepted (for example, many states don't allow "chokes")

2) Medical: Low risk of injury when applied

3) Tactical: Are the techniques workable in the field? PPCT is constantly refining what they do as more field reports come in when officers find a failure rate for a technique or they never use it.

It's the last component where PPCT shines in my opinion. Siddle was one of the first to examine how stress effects the body and it's performance in combat, many other people use his research now and don't give him the credit.

All of the techniques in PPCT, are made to be used in an adrenaline dump and rely on gross motor skills.

Also, PPCT is based around a "Force Continuum" and "1+1 Theory", Meaning that you have different levels of resistance and control and they are defined and spelled out on what tactics to use at each level to control it. The +1 part means that you use one level of force higher than the suspect to maintain control.

One of the most common complaints I hear about PPCT is that "pressure points don't work when someone is drunk/high and fighting us". DUH! the pressure points (soft empty hand control) is designed for lower levels of force and you shouldn't be relying on those when the suspect is at a higher level of force.

I just got recertified as an instructor and I know that there is a new book coming out for instructors with some new tools in it (elbow strikes for one), so it's been interesting to see how it progresses. There are other styles/combatives out there, but I think that PPCT is a great foundation for officers to build from both tactically and also on the report writing aspect to protect themselves in court and explain exactly how the suspect was escalating force and what steps were taken to subdue and control them.

harold

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been a certified PPCT instructor since 2004.As has been stated, it is designed to work under stress using gross motor skills.I think it is a pretty good system.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should look at these guys, they are instructors who are friends of my teacher. Very professional and very experienced martial artists and soldiers. Also many of them are highly ranked by Kyusho International.

This is a link to their "Pressure Points for Law Enforcement" course, they have many courses:

http://www.forceoptionsusa.com/node/157

Bikewr

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I also took the instructor's course some years back and found it a good and usable system.
I liked the way Bruce incorporated current thinking about functioning under stress and the effect it has on fine motor control.

I've been in police work for 40 years, and seen many "systems" come and go. Most were far too complex to work on street, though well-intentioned.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
PPCT is a simple basic program designed to give officers some basic training. Certainly there is some good in it but it is basic. When I went through the academy close to around twenty years ago our DT instructor mixed in boxing to also help out the academy program. So plan on learning a simple pressure point system that does give an officer good legal protection but remember it is simple and basic!

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OPOTC ( Ohio Peace Officers Training Councel) has a basic program that ALL rookies must go through. After that its up to the DT instructor to keep things interesting..I have heard of PPCT, some of the local boys went through and were not impressed..Then there is the program put out by Controlled F.O.R.C.E.. Not bad, it the recertification that is always the problem..Always seems to be held in Las Vegas and always costly.
With your backround you should have no problem coming up with something to refresh and add to their current skill level..

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
PPCT is a simple basic program designed to give officers some basic training. Certainly there is some good in it but it is basic. When I went through the academy close to around twenty years ago our DT instructor mixed in boxing to also help out the academy program. So plan on learning a simple pressure point system that does give an officer good legal protection but remember it is simple and basic!

So you didn't learn the punches, heel palms, kicks or knees? They have also just recently added elbow strikes as well. Depending on the state, there are also neck restraints taught. When taught properly, you have the lead straight and rear straight punch. You hook punches are done using forearm strikes to the side of the neck.

Just curious, because I see alot of people not teach the whole system, such as punching/palming to the face, even though that is in the system. In the end, all that is really taught is grabbing the bad guy and getting him to comply with pressure points, even though that should only be used in low level force situations.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you didn't learn the punches, heel palms, kicks or knees? They have also just recently added elbow strikes as well. Depending on the state, there are also neck restraints taught. When taught properly, you have the lead straight and rear straight punch. You hook punches are done using forearm strikes to the side of the neck.

Just curious, because I see alot of people not teach the whole system, such as punching/palming to the face, even though that is in the system. In the end, all that is really taught is grabbing the bad guy and getting him to comply with pressure points, even though that should only be used in low level force situations.

No I learned the whole system from that time period going through the academy. Though I do not remember any punches being taught. (that does not mean that we weren't :) ) However it is a really simple basic system. The DT instructor thought so too and added in boxing to round it out some. The PPCT system overall is a basic system taught to give an officer some really basic skill sets. Nothing more and nothing less. It as I said earlier has some good points but unfortunately to many officers take it in the academy and then hardly ever practice. (though that is their fault) Most LEO's that I know who were interested in maintaining and improving their skills then sought out instruction elsewhere.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I learned the whole system from that time period going through the academy. Though I do not remember any punches being taught. (that does not mean that we weren't :) ) However it is a really simple basic system. The DT instructor thought so too and added in boxing to round it out some. The PPCT system overall is a basic system taught to give an officer some really basic skill sets. Nothing more and nothing less. It as I said earlier has some good points but unfortunately to many officers take it in the academy and then hardly ever practice. (though that is their fault) Most LEO's that I know who were interested in maintaining and improving their skills then sought out instruction elsewhere.

I agree with that perspective.

I think it really boils down to the instructor. One of mine was taught directly by one of the people who helped to develop the system. You were taught specific techniques, but then you were supposed to go beyond them and apply the concepts and targets and be more creative. That was why I asked about "adding" the boxing to it. Boxing was always a part of it, look at your basic stance (boxers stance). The footwork taught is the same as a boxers as well. We were also taught the "old 1-2 punch" from boxing as a part of the system. Boxing is a very simple yet complex system. I think PPCT is the same way. You could take those tools and work it to handle any situation you need, BUT it is up to the officer to actually train those techniques and stay within the framework of what PPCT does.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I agree with that perspective.

I think it really boils down to the instructor. One of mine was taught directly by one of the people who helped to develop the system. You were taught specific techniques, but then you were supposed to go beyond them and apply the concepts and targets and be more creative. That was why I asked about "adding" the boxing to it. Boxing was always a part of it, look at your basic stance (boxers stance). The footwork taught is the same as a boxers as well. We were also taught the "old 1-2 punch" from boxing as a part of the system. Boxing is a very simple yet complex system. I think PPCT is the same way. You could take those tools and work it to handle any situation you need, BUT it is up to the officer to actually train those techniques and stay within the framework of what PPCT does.

I definitely agree that if the individual officer works these basic skill sets then they should be more qualified then if they had no training at all. However, they need to really work them and have a regular training program set up. I also agree with the boxing stance being a part of it but I would not go so far in saying that boxing itself was always a part of it. (though a little of it is) Simple is good particularly for people who do not invest serious amounts of time in training. Yet for these skills to work you need to invest quite a bit of time.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've got to remember what the point of DT training is, especially today: give the officer enough skills to hopefully survive while not creating liability nightmares for the risk management folks and brass. And it's less and less common for an officer to have any real experience coming in, either. (That may be changing... one "perk" of wartime.) I had multiple people in my academy class 10 years ago who'd NEVER been hit in their life. And they've got to squeeze in the H2H skills on top of all the other stuff that falls under "DT" like building searches, cuffing techniques... Oh, and they've got to make all that happen along with all the other mandatory crap in the academy, too.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You've got to remember what the point of DT training is, especially today: give the officer enough skills to hopefully survive while not creating liability nightmares for the risk management folks and brass. And it's less and less common for an officer to have any real experience coming in, either. (That may be changing... one "perk" of wartime.) I had multiple people in my academy class 10 years ago who'd NEVER been hit in their life. And they've got to squeeze in the H2H skills on top of all the other stuff that falls under "DT" like building searches, cuffing techniques... Oh, and they've got to make all that happen along with all the other mandatory crap in the academy, too.

Absolutely!

One thing I must say that was good for everyone who had never experienced being hit in the academy that I went through was that everyone had to box in a match with someone. Man or woman it did not matter. Everyone got hit. I think that was a plus and yet still of course they needed a lot more training after the academy.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
PPCT (Pressure Point Control Tactics)

As others have mentioned it was created by Bruce Siddle. The techniques are based on three components

1) Legal: Are the techniques used legally supported and accepted (for example, many states don't allow "chokes")

2) Medical: Low risk of injury when applied

3) Tactical: Are the techniques workable in the field? PPCT is constantly refining what they do as more field reports come in when officers find a failure rate for a technique or they never use it.

It's the last component where PPCT shines in my opinion. Siddle was one of the first to examine how stress effects the body and it's performance in combat, many other people use his research now and don't give him the credit.

All of the techniques in PPCT, are made to be used in an adrenaline dump and rely on gross motor skills.

Also, PPCT is based around a "Force Continuum" and "1+1 Theory", Meaning that you have different levels of resistance and control and they are defined and spelled out on what tactics to use at each level to control it. The +1 part means that you use one level of force higher than the suspect to maintain control.

One of the most common complaints I hear about PPCT is that "pressure points don't work when someone is drunk/high and fighting us". DUH! the pressure points (soft empty hand control) is designed for lower levels of force and you shouldn't be relying on those when the suspect is at a higher level of force.

I just got recertified as an instructor and I know that there is a new book coming out for instructors with some new tools in it (elbow strikes for one), so it's been interesting to see how it progresses. There are other styles/combatives out there, but I think that PPCT is a great foundation for officers to build from both tactically and also on the report writing aspect to protect themselves in court and explain exactly how the suspect was escalating force and what steps were taken to subdue and control them.

Pressure points work best on compliant 12 year old children...........or if you want to make a drunk mad enough to really fight.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I have been a certified PPCT instructor since 2004.As has been stated, it is designed to work under stress using gross motor skills.I think it is a pretty good system.

It's been my experience that is exactly where PPCT fails.......under stress using gross motor skills.

I'm not a huge fan of PPCT.......though I am a fan of much of what Bruce Siddle has done, regarding the philosophy and physiology involved in high stress incidents, much of the actual PPCT system I don't care much for.

Most officers i've known who has gone through the class, and then tried to implement some of the techniques on the street, on resistant suspects, has been very disappointed, and a few have been injured...........there's far better systems when it comes to actual physical techniques out there, imho.

PPCT's marketing is excellent, though.

Latest Discussions