Power of Chi full movie

vic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not a student or fan of Adam Mizner but have some interest in training internal skills.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's the combat usage of pushing?

- In striking art, if you can punch on your opponent's head, why do you want to push on his chest?
- In wrestling art, if your opponent grabs on your wrist, his body and your body are connected as one unit, you can't push him away.
- In logic, you want to keep your friend close but your enemy closer.

You may push your opponent off the cliff, into the traffic, or into a sharp object. What's the chance of doing that?

If you add in leg skill into your push, your push can become a throw. We all know that throw has good combat usage. Again, if push is a throw without leg skill then what's the purpose of "pushing"?

Appledog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
If you add in leg skill into your push, your push can become a throw. We all know that throw has good combat usage. Again, if push is a throw without leg skill then what's the purpose of "pushing"?
As you say yourself, pushing + leg skill can inform a throw. Pushing + other has applications in other areas especially qinna. The sensitivity of movement and distance control required to control but not break someone during that kind of application requires the skill of pushing. Secondly pushing can be used when you do not want to hurt your opponent. Today we don't always have life and death battles. For example during training, it is better not to hurt your student. As you pointed out, if you can push someone, you can hit them -- but during training, you don't have to.

Pushing in the sense of various applications including throws also requires proper "sinking" and stance work, so it demonstrates many aspects of proper mechanics. Mechanics that may be difficult to realize in practice at a higher speed without the kind of training pushing gives you.

There are other applications of this such as body strike which I will leave aside for now except to say the idea of pushing in certain ways is the same as a body strike.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
For example during training, it is better not to hurt your student. As you pointed out, if you can push someone, you can hit them -- but during training, you don't have to.
If your training goal is

- "sport", push may make sense.
- "combat", push makes no sense at all.

IMO, "sport" is only your path. "combat" should be your goal. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life in "sport" only?

When "sport" SC has been evolved into "combat" SC, the hip throw solo training has been evolved too.

The "sport" SC hip throw training is to hold your opponent's body off the ground, so your opponent won't be thrown too hard on the ground.

The "combat" SC hip throw training is to "smash" your opponent's body as hard as you can on the ground so you can cause the maximum damage on him.

Last edited:

Appledog

Orange Belt
Reaction score
The "sport" SC hip throw training is to hold your opponent's body off the ground, so your opponent won't be thrown too hard on the ground.
Yeah I remember your example there from a few years back. Good example.

If your training goal is

I can imagine no more qualified poster here to answer you than myself :) Because I agree with you, and considering tantui, etc. is on my papers, I can tell you that not all is so cut and dried. What do you think they teach to police officers in Taiwan? Well, there is some judo, some white crane, some baji, all sorts of things really. But they do not teach the police officers to rip people's arms off and beat them with it. Not here anyway. I would think it is obvious that being able to fall back onto techniques of restraint would be useful?

Also there are many stories of great masters who defeated an opponent without hurting them. I know that in some situations death is warranted, but not in all.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

- In striking art, if you can punch on your opponent's head, why do you want to push on his chest?
- In wrestling art, if your opponent grabs on your wrist, his body and your body are connected as one unit, you can't push him away.

You may push your opponent off the cliff, into the traffic, or into a sharp object. What's the chance of doing that?

I don’t know the intention in this specific system, but pushing is a component in grappling - both offensive and defensive. I have trained drills that focus on the pushing skill to train specific approaches and mechanics that are used in multiple set-ups and counters.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your training goal is

IMO, "sport" is only your path. "combat" should be your goal. Do you really want to spend the rest of your life in "sport" only?

When "sport" SC has been evolved into "combat" SC, the hip throw solo training has been evolved too.

The "combat" SC hip throw training is to "smash" your opponent's body as hard as you can on the ground so you can cause the maximum damage on him.

Firstly, you don’t get to dictate what others’ goals may (or even “should”) be.

Secondly, pushing has plenty of application within fighting, unless you artificially view it as a separate and not-combinable action.

marvin8

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Pushing in the sense of various applications including throws also requires proper "sinking" and stance work, so it demonstrates many aspects of proper mechanics. Mechanics that may be difficult to realize in practice at a higher speed without the kind of training pushing gives you.

There are other applications of this such as body strike which I will leave aside for now except to say the idea of pushing in certain ways is the same as a body strike.
At 7:24 of the OP video, Mizner demos a concept (e.g., Push-Pull) but does not show the knowledge or ability to apply it against resistance. The only video I've seen of Mizner against resistance and he fails...

Push-Pull (action-reaction) concept.

Problem: Your opponent will counter.
Solution: Push-Pull...

You lead the opponent with a jab (push), so that he pulls and jabs (pull/push). Then, you counter with a strike (push).

At 2:17 of Pacquiao vs Timothy Bradley 2,

P6d29dd.gif

I use foot sweep [push] to make my partner take a reaction step back [pull]. As my partner takes a recovery step [push], I step and pull him into the line of attack [weak angle] using his momentum.

This blends and disguises my actions. I take my second step while my partner's foot lands and throw him with seoi nage.

IzmmN07.gif

Last edited:

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Leg skill" is not always required...
Here is another difference between whether you control your opponent's leg with your leg skill or not.

You control your opponent's back leg - your opponent will fall down.

You don't control your opponent's back leg - your opponent will be pushed away.

patientcrista

White Belt
Reaction score
Here is another difference between whether you control your opponent's leg with your leg skill or not.

You control your opponent's back leg - your opponent will fall down.

You don't control your opponent's back leg - your opponent will be pushed away.

It really is. Although I don't know exactly what is being said in this context, I believe that there is room in our world for the incredible and the inexplicable. I even sometimes use http://essaypapers.reviews/ for myself. We live in a world full of mysteries and unsolved mysteries. What if, beyond our understanding, there are inexplicable phenomena and events that affect our reality, but which we are not yet aware of?

looks cool

Latest Discussions