power in lead punch

hungfistron

Green Belt
Reaction score
I feel I get the most power from a forward moving lead straight or jab when using the push shuffle footwork - that is pushing off with the rear leg and trying to land the punch before my lead foot lands.

This may have been a given, but I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Sounds like you are doing it correctly, the way it was taught by Bruce thats why you feel it. Took me a while to understand this basic technique, and I'm still learning....

gino

White Belt
Reaction score
I am sorry fellas I disagree with most of you...
first off...you are not relaxed...you r ready..there is a difference...your muscles are half tense and half relaxed....
its easier to learn if yu look away from your target... have your body lined up almost but turn your head a little bit..so the bag is in your peripherial... NOw dont try to hit it hard,its speed your workin on ..not power...power comes from speed.. and from body movemnet..but you have to lean to hit it VERY fast in order to learn to direct ant kind of real power...try to hit it the bag like 4-5 times in a row in an exact location without even thinkin about it..with "just" the lead hand...
Always keep your elbow as far ponited down as u can...if your elbow comes up at all even in the extension of the punch ,you r doin it wrong..when extended you should feel the pullin in your lower triceps just a little bit..
when u first start to learn,you feel the lateral muscle doin most of the work...especially when u throw numerous jabs at a time......this is GOOD.>
this is where you want your power to begin,and then it finishes in your rear foots big toe.. you do not lift your foot at all...you twist your body to get all the power from the very short punch you r throwin...(its only short in sense cause your arm should only be moving about a foot,but with your arm always hanging out there in your opponents face its really a long range attack)...
You get the most power when you turn your head as when bruce does his one inch punch.. but I say turn your head so its easier for your body to throw the punch from the body as you need to do...and to stop thinkin about how far you into your target you throw your punch,,,obviously after you have trained your body to throw the jab right,you straighten your head out and look at the bag directly and work on accuracy..
You guys are talking about overextending your body to be able to strike a certain distance,,,that is exactly what your not supposed to do.. Bruce's style has also been called "art of interception" which means you lure your opponent into "your" striking range,and you work your way out using the shuffle,or destroy your oponent.. So you should always practice following thru somewhat,but not as much as you may think...you get more power the faster the strike is,,so when you follow thru you actually slow the strike,try to go like 2-3 inche like a cpl of you said as a base...but try to worry more about your recoil of the strike,it needs to come back as quickly as you throw it...and worry more about the positon of your fist and the location and accuracy of the strike,,,believe me thats all the matters...most people cant even throw a good punch when there nerves are goin,no matter how much they practice...
but if you can throw a jab as your opponent is about to strike you and he walks into it,, its lights out alot easier than you would believe possable... this is easily one of the best strikes I have ever used..
Remember dont ever ever ever throw from the rear,unless your opponent walks in on you or you advance him... use your straight jab ALWAYS... lead hand is 80% strike 20% defense...
people always throw from the rear cause the lead arm runs out of gas and thats where "their" power is... They are throwin from the shoulder...but when you learn to throw from the body ...you can throw thousands of them without getting tired...there is barely any movement invloved...its like you can just turn on and turn off the power any time your ready... so you can control your breathing very easily.. you ultimately are looking for your opponent to walk into it..and then finish him. Now thats JKD to me... strightblast baby

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I need to improve the power in my lead punch. I think I do OK when standing in one spot, but Im sure everyone does fine under perfect conditions as well. How do I get more power when doing the "launch forward lead punch". (I dont know what else to call it, just a lead punch while moving forward.)

Time your punch to land on target (usually the opponents head) just before your lead foot lands on the ground. This will cause his face to catch your weight, instead of your foot catching your weight, as you step.

Another way to put power in your lead jab is to turn your lead heel with the punch.

Most importantly, make sure you are snapping the punch. Ali said the jab was thrown out like a fly swatter, not like a hammer.

The best thing you could do to develop power in your lead is to buy a heavy bag and throw nothing but jabs for a couple of months. That's what the boxing coach made me do, and it worked great.

scorpiuskhan

White Belt
Reaction score
In my lead punch; First I stay relaxed and be mindful of my breathing while I am in the stance. the key for me is to be springy and use hip and body rotation. Not just bursting forward. Bursting forward by stepping and trying to merely drive your body weight is only part of the power that can be unleashed. All your muscles, from your feet, legs, hips, shoulders,arms,and fist should all work together like a shockwave starting from the ball of your rear foot to your lead punch knuckles. When you do this, you should give a nice tight exhale as you punch. As the shockwave runs through your body and ends at your fist at time of impact, only then is your fist tense and tight like a rock. Remember to follow through. All this happens in a very small fraction of a second. Most of the momentum is developed inside your body.This is a potentially devastating skull cracker of a punch. Make sure to condition your hands.

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, oddly enough the power comes from moving forward...

Keep your elbow in when you punch and time it so that contact is made as your lead foot touches down.

Chances are your timing is really off, or your elbow is flaring and absorbing the impact, but your jab should be a lot more powerful when moving then standing still.

You gotta practice on a heavy bag. Just get the timing as stated above, and work the heavy bag with jabs for days on end. Don't even throw other punches, until your jab is strong.

g-bells

Green Belt
Reaction score
You gotta practice on a heavy bag. Just get the timing as stated above, and work the heavy bag with jabs for days on end. Don't even throw other punches, until your jab is strong.

^^^^
theres your answer,practice,practice and more practice. no easy way

Bodhisattva

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I need to improve the power in my lead punch. I think I do OK when standing in one spot, but Im sure everyone does fine under perfect conditions as well. How do I get more power when doing the "launch forward lead punch". (I dont know what else to call it, just a lead punch while moving forward.)

First: Buy a heavybag. Get a good one from ring side, with 2 inches of foam around the inner padding.

Hit that heavy bag at least every other day. And throw jabs, only.

That was what a boxing coach had me do.. And I did it for a couple of months. I highly, highly recommend you do that. Your lead will become fierce.

When you hit the bag, make sure you are hitting it right. If you are hitting it right, the top of the bag will move away from you, the bottom of the bag will move towards you, and the chains will clink.

If you are hitting it wrong, the bottom of the bag moves away from you and the bag will "swing" in a very pendulum like fashion.

--

Power in the jab: Mechanics:

You should step on every jab. Your jab should hit your opponent JUST BEFORE your foot hits the ground. This will ensure that the weight of your step will land on his face, instead of on your foot.

You need to make sure your are turning your body into your punch. Meaning, your front shoulder should move towards your opponent, your rear shoulder will move away from him. This twisting starts at the feet, and moves up the legs, twisting at the waist, and then it expresses through the torso and shoulders and arms.

For extra power, pivot on your front foot so your heel nearly turns to face your opponent. Boxer's call this "Hit him with your heel."

--

But to learn to do any of these things, you gotta train them on a heavy bag. A heavy bag will tell you when you are dong it "right" and when you are doing it "wrong." You can tell this by how the heavy bag swings when you jab it.

Truth is, you'll know you're dong it wrong on the heavy bag from the start - cause when you are hitting badly it really sucks to train on the heavy bag. It hurts you as much as the bag.

But when you start getting it right, it feels wonderful. Stay determined - I promise, you'll get it.

If my skinny *** learned to hit hard enough to get a 100+ pound heavy bag rocking all over, then you can too.

(Wear WRAPS every time you hit the heavy bag, no exceptions!)

sonsage

White Belt
Reaction score
Question about the straight lead that I'm confused about.

When you push off with the rear foot do you continue to maintain 50/50 stance at all times or do you transfer most of your weight to the lead leg so that your upper body is on top of that lead leg forming a vertical straight line on that side of the body (as said in the tao of jkd book)

joeygil

Green Belt
Reaction score
Question about the straight lead that I'm confused about.

When you push off with the rear foot do you continue to maintain 50/50 stance at all times or do you transfer most of your weight to the lead leg so that your upper body is on top of that lead leg forming a vertical straight line on that side of the body (as said in the tao of jkd book)

That sounds about right to me. Since you lean into the punch, weight will have to transfer to the lead leg.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Now Ive heard different stuff on this one in regards to HOW FAR through the target? Ive heard as far as possible, and Ive also heard 2-3 inches as any more than that is a push, not a hit. Opinions?

A lot of depends on what you are trying to do. In my group we call it "short-power". If you are using a vertical fist short punch, the timing of the wrist snap determines whether you knock your opponent back (like a violent shove) or whether he stays put and your fist penetrates an an inch or two (and that hurts). But in either case, you don't focus through your target or you will make contact way before you are in position to complete your "snap". I hope this is making sense.

Latest Discussions