Pow Choi

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
@Tony Dismukes
Summary - Thursday night sparring class
Grey -Student / fellow classmate ( I ran the sparring class)
Red - The other Instructor.

Pelow is an application of Pow Choi,. There's a lot of good lessons in this video highlighted by success and failures. At this time, Red was becoming less of a brawler and was beginning to be more planned than before. I was always afraid these two guys would need medical attention because they always went harder than I would have wanted them to. It would have not been good if any of those Pow Choi punches connected.

Here's something to think about. Red does a Pow Choi but it gets stopped. Grey does a Pow Choi but gets his punches flow through the guard. Why did Grey's Pow Choi work, and Red's Pow Choi failed?
There are 2 points of failure here. Not landing punches is not one of the points of failures. I've talked about the first one when discussing how our eyes track objects. The second one you may or may not get.

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Very cool style! Kinda looks like choy lay fut with boxing footwork. I'd hate to go up against it, those were hard punches and strikes. Good work guys.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Very cool style! Kinda looks like choy lay fut with boxing footwork. I'd hate to go up against it, those were hard punches and strikes. Good work guys.
They have similar concepts. A student from one school could train in the other school without it feeling completely new. Jow Ga is a mixture of Northern Shaolin, Hung Ga and Choy Ga. "Hung Tao Choy Mei, which literally translates as "having the head of Hung and the tail of Choy." This name recognizes that Jow Ga's upper body or hand techniques derive from Hung Ga and its lower body techniques and footwork from Choy Ga."

I'd hate to go up against it, those were hard punches and strikes. Good work guys.
Increase their power by 10% and that would be their light sparring. Not mine but theirs lol. The guy in the grey shirt's nick name was the Hindu Hammer. He easily had the hardest hits second to the Sifu. By the time of this video all of the senior students significantly reduced intensity levels until these 2 go a couple of rounds. He was fine for me as I would always spar at an intensity where he didn't feel threatened. lol. Ok that may not be the best choice of words, but he didn't feel like he needed to bring his A game fully loaded with a warning lable "May cause dizziness."

Tigerwarrior

Purple Belt
Reaction score
They have similar concepts. A student from one school could train in the other school without it feeling completely new. Jow Ga is a mixture of Northern Shaolin, Hung Ga and Choy Ga. "Hung Tao Choy Mei, which literally translates as "having the head of Hung and the tail of Choy." This name recognizes that Jow Ga's upper body or hand techniques derive from Hung Ga and its lower body techniques and footwork from Choy Ga."

Increase their power by 10% and that would be their light sparring. Not mine but theirs lol. The guy in the grey shirt's nick name was the Hindu Hammer. He easily had the hardest hits second to the Sifu. By the time of this video all of the senior students significantly reduced intensity levels until these 2 go a couple of rounds. He was fine for me as I would always spar at an intensity where he didn't feel threatened. lol. Ok that may not be the best choice of words, but he didn't feel like he needed to bring his A game fully loaded with a warning lable "May cause dizziness."
I hate to admit it, but I know exactly what you mean. I used to be one of those guys that liked to push it to the limit intensity wise. Now I'm a bit older than back then and I think of all the gym wars I've been in and all the injuries..I thought I was doing the right thing but now I realize with science and cte discoveries that going hard all the time isn't the way for me. I'm probably over thinking it really it's just friendly sparring between bros, I'm just very cautious nowadays. If I hit someone with 80% I got to expect them to hit me with 100% not worth it to me. Also hung ga question is that art related to the fut ga in kung fu san soo? I've dabbled in kfss and they have some lessons from a style called fut ga or the way of the monk, supposedly it's a style developed by monks at a temple in China a very long time ago. I never got to the level to learn those lessons but I've seen demos and it's very impressive.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also hung ga question is that art related to the fut ga in kung fu san soo?
Not that I know of. I had to look up San Soo and it was completely different. I saw some techniques in San Soo that looked similar to some that I train, but the applications of them didn't make sense. If there is any Hung in the system, then I'm thinking that it may serve a different purpose than application.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Also hung ga question is that art related to the fut ga in kung fu san soo? I've dabbled in kfss and they have some lessons from a style called fut ga or the way of the monk, supposedly it's a style developed by monks at a temple in China a very long time ago. I never got to the level to learn those lessons but I've seen demos and it's very impressive.
Assuming that's the same as fut gar, then yes. Fut gar is a southern style of kung fu, blended from the older southern styles, which would include hung gar.
If it's the same or not though, I can't say. We did have a san soo practitioner here who (if I'm remembering right) was high enough level he might answer. @Ironbear24 pinging him just in case he gets email notifications..been a minute since he's been here.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Assuming that's the same as fut gar, then yes. Fut gar is a southern style of kung fu, blended from the older southern styles, which would include hung gar.
If it's the same or not though, I can't say. We did have a san soo practitioner here who (if I'm remembering right) was high enough level he might answer. @Ironbear24 pinging him just in case he gets email notifications..been a minute since he's been here.
I was surprised to see so many techniques I recognize